Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Ok so does this allow you to record Pro Res to a laptop from cameras?

2. Collapse Details
    Now if I've done some research right, this is how I see it, correct me if I'm wrong.

AJA sees this as a "platform," meaning there will be firmware updates and such. Which makes it great in the ever-changing world of resolutions. Or will it never go beyond 10-bit 4:2:2 HD/SD ProRes files? (not that that's bad at all)

I can basically kiss whatever special "storage" accessories for RED or P2 cards for HVX goodbye. Whatever camera I buy or rent, I would be able to interface with using the AJA Ki (and get better resolution using it!).

Anyways, more thoughts later.. just awed..

"Ki Pro is a portable, stand-alone tapeless video device that records files to the Apple ProRes codec directly from virtually any camera. Ki Pro provides a new way of connecting production and post; any video and audio source can be fed into Ki Pro to record pristine 10-bit 4:2:2 HD/SD ProRes files. Removable Ki Pro Storage media is then immediately available to edit within Apple’s Final Cut Studio. Extensive analog and digital connectivity, and AJA’s unparalleled 10-bit Up/Down/Cross-conversion, ensure your client will be able to interface to whatever camera they are using."

3. Collapse Details
    This is a dream product for me. This will definitely be used on our next production (if we do not shoot RED).

4. Collapse Details
    The KiPro records to an internal 250GB hard drive to Pro Res HQ and Express cards to Pro Res. Future faster memory will HQ on the cards. It basically turns ANY camera with an HDMI or SDI output into a 10 bit 4:2:2 full raster imaging device! A solid state drive is in the works for bumpy shooting.

DSLR's would be great but the 5D MkII doesn't send a full HD image out the HDMI port while recording - BUMMER! They would be an insane duo! I'm anxious to see if the Lumix GH1 sends full HD out the HDMI - you could then bypass the 17Mbps AVCHD and record Pro RES HQ!

5. Collapse Details
    I'm thinking an EX3/Ki-Pro combo for my next project.

6. Collapse Details
    Well, Prores, in my experience, isn't the best for full post production (ex. Edit--> Effects--> Color Correct--> Finish --> DVD Export)

More often than not, the footage falls apart if you do too much with it and that's not much. Granted, if all you're doing is simple stuff with little need for fancy color correction or effects then you should be okay.

Granted, I don't know what the difference would be to capturing Prores natively as my experience stems from converting my Canon HV20 footage using the Prores method for true 23.98 footage. Maybe my shooting conditions are different than many of yours but simply doing a side-by-side test with my raw HV20 footage and the Prores output, I could push the raw footage a lot further.

Still, the Ki Pro sounds like a really cool product and I too wish the Nikon D90 and Canon 5D Mark II could work on it but, alas, they simply won't. I feel that this is just another step in a growing trend for high quality recording boxes like this. We have the Convergent Designs boxes, some box from Edirol, and this.
    "Babs Do or Babs Do not, there is no try." - Zack Birlew
    Production Company - www.BabsDoProductions.com
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Babs-D...11985705544940
    Pond5 Artist Page - https://www.pond5.com/artist/BabsDoProd

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Felis View Post
    Maybe my shooting conditions are different than many of yours but simply doing a side-by-side test with my raw HV20 footage and the Prores output, I could push the raw footage a lot further.
    that's the issue. you are starting with hdv. prores derived from a higher quality source, RED for example, holds up just fine during grading.

i think this device will breathe new life into older varicams, f900's etc. i see these cams being sold so cheap nowadays because the new, tapeless versions are emerging. a used varicam or f900 plus this aja box would be a bad mammajamma.

would be nice to see the same box but smaller. maybe it would have a AB or v-mount on it so it could go between battery and camera. true portability. that would be awesome.
    "There is no forest. There are no trees."

Cinematography Reel on Vimeo

www.fisherfilmworks.com

8. Collapse Details
    I absolutely love ProRes. I mastered our film "The Blackout" totally in ProRes. We did capture 85% of it directly into ProRes. However, my XLH1 only outputs 8-bit data. So we really didn't take full advantage of Apple's codec.

I'm really looking forward to feeding ProRes a true 10-bit full raster source. Which is why I'm eyeballing both the EX3 and HPX300 right now. I'm leaning toward the EX3/Ki-Pro combo mainly because of the larger imager and less skew.

But I really do think AJA hit one out of the park with the Ki-Pro. The iPhone control is what really sent it over the top for me.
    Last edited by Robert Sanders; 04-28-2009 at 07:03 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezweezl View Post
    a used varicam or f900 plus this aja box would be a bad mammajamma.
    That is what I was thinking as well.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12