Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    No, it'll last for at least 15 years at that point. I'm asking that question too, and what I'm being told is that they're giving a conservative estimate of 5 years. The more you use it, the quicker it will wear out; the less you use it the longer it'll last. If you used it to fill it up and offload it every day, they say it should last at least five years. I think it'd more likely last 27 years, based on the MLC vs. SLC difference.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanoid Typhoon View Post
    How will that HMC40 stack up to the HMC150? It's about the $400-$600 less in comparison.

Thanks for the live updates Barry!
    The 150 is CCD, the HMC40 is CMOS. The HMC40 will probably be sharper, but I'd expect the 150 to be (in general) the better camera, especially in low light performance. But, we'll see. It's smaller, denser-packed CMOS chips. And it's tiny -- it's like a DVC30. If you saw the DVC30 vs. the DVX100, that should be about the same comparison between the HMC40 and the HMC150. But it's very early; the HMC40 isn't supposed to be out for at least several more months.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for that info Barry.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Corral View Post
    Cheaper P2 cards but they only have a life-span of 5 years? I don't know what to think of that....
    That's with it being used every single day of those five years, and well, that's just the guarantee.

The A-series cards with the longer life are still available.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

5. Collapse Details
    So, my question is when can we get pre=orders in on these new cards? I'm assuming that as soon as they're out we'll be seeing a big back log and I need one or two new P2 cards by June!

6. Collapse Details
    The E series is supposed to start shipping at the end of May. If you need some you'd better get on your dealers list immediately

7. Collapse Details
    Do you guys know of a place online to see the press conference?

I could swear i saw it online last year.

thanks
    john

BTW Thanks Berry for the play-by-play

8. Collapse Details
    Cheaper p2 cards is huge news. Huge. Very few people will care about a 5 year or so lifespan (and that's a conservative estimate). $1000 for very fast 64gb is going to open up p2 to so many other uses. Now smaller, more cost-conscious producers will be able to buy some of their own cards, hand them to a freelance cameraman, and then take the cards home at the end of the day. It also is far cheaper to handle shooting a full day on cards without doing a data offload, which has also been an Achilles Heel of p2.

I think this is the moment where p2 experiences a real breakthrough in acceptance. I think this will also help put Sony's xdcam disk to rest. If you shoot 5 hours of content on xdcam, you end up with 4 disks to be carried around and then manually loaded into an edit system, one disk at a time. You can shoot 5 hours of p2 via a pro Panasonic camera without stopping to put in new media, and transfer it all with a single button press in less than 45 minutes.

9. Collapse Details
    by 5 years, you wouldve paid the card off already.
    I wouldnt mind cheaper p2 cards with 3 years life span.

10. Collapse Details
    Yes, I guess it has its advantages. Maybe one of these E series cards will come free with a camera purchase soon since they are a lot cheaper. If the old 16GB series costs $800 and the new E Series 64GB card costs under $1000 and it comes with an HPX170 or HPX300, then sign me up on the Panasonic bandwagon.
    MindWarp LLC
    HPX170 with 64GB & 16GB E-Cards

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast