Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    5D Mark II Freezes / Locks up / Buffer Problem SOLVED
    I've been having a problem with my 5D Mark II freezing on me in Video Mode. If you are unfamiliar with this problem basically a five bar panel to the right of the LCD lights up one bar at a time and when it hits the top, the camera stops recording and locks up with the screen frozen on the last image of video. Turning off the camera and even opening the CF door doesn't unlock it. The only way to get it working again is to remove the battery.

For those of you lucky enough to have never seen this screen, Oynk has example photos here http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.p...1&postcount=91

It happens intermittently so it's been hard to pinpoint what exactly was causing the problem was but now I think I have it solved.

After reading a few posts where other people were having the same lock-up problem, I found a common thread. They were all using the SanDisk Extreme III 8GB CF card. That card is rated at 30 MB/s. So technically there is enough headroom to not be a problem. However, this card is the problem.

The problem is not about CF card speed. The manual says that you only need a card over 8 MB/s (if I remember correctly) to record video. I've read where people using 133x cards are having no problems.

I did a test a using a SanDisk Ultra II 4GB CF card -- which are much slower than the Extreme III -- and it didn't have a single problem. No buffer. No bars. No lock up. It recorded 13:15 straight and stopped with the card was full.

I think the problem is that the SanDisk Extreme III 8GB just don't play well with the 5D Mark II in video mode.

What cards (brand, size and speed) are you using to successfully record long takes (over 10 minutes) of video?
    WGA Writer / Director / Photographer - IMDb
    Canon 5D Mark II - Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 3x - Manhattan LCD - Panasonic DVX100A - Letus35 Flip Enhanced - IndiRAILS - IndiFOCUS

WATCH Episode 1 of "MADISON AVERY" in HD

"Zimm" - www.ZimmTheSeries.com | www.youtube.com/ZimmTheSeries | www.facebook.com/ZimmTheSeries | www.twitter.com/ZimmTheSeries
    www.twitter.com/gregstorm

Check out my first multi-camera 5D Mark II production here.

2. Collapse Details
    I use a 16 gb 133 Kingston and a 36 gb Transend 133. Both work well with me I have shot 29min with no issue.

Mule Ferguson
    HPX2000
    HVX200
    Canon 5D MKll

3. Collapse Details
    My Kingston 32GB (133X version) and Sandisk Extreme III 4GB both work fine in HD video mode on the 5D Mk II.

It's usually best (I've heard) to fill up a card up, then format it. Fragmented 133X cards are nothing but trouble. Not sure about the Extreme III, though.
    Last edited by thisiswells; 04-08-2009 at 02:37 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Interesting!
    Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I'm using the sandisk extreme iii 8gb and haven't had any trouble (knock on wood).

I ran into one user having trouble with lexar cards (did I spell that right) and he sent them off to the vendor for evaluation - I need to try to get in touch with him to see the result.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you have more trouble. Thanks!

5. Collapse Details
    I just noticed that in my photos the camera is powered off. That's how hard it locks up. You actually have to pull the battery out to restart.

I realized that this only happened with my 8GB (I have 1) and not my 4GBs (I have 3).

Thanks Storm for starting this thread.

6. Collapse Details
    I have also noticed this problem. I have 3 8gig cards and it has happened on all three.
    so I think your hypothesis is right.

7. Collapse Details
    Funnily enough having a similar problem but it's with any type of Sandisk CF card and it happens while taking photos or scrolling through images.

The real problem is that I can't replicate the problem. I just not that it always results in the camera freezing and the card being corrupted. I then have to take out the battery and reformat the cards in another camera. It will then work again for a short while before playing up again.

I have had the camera with Canon and they replaced the cameras main logic board which seemed to have fixed the problems. Sadly it re-appeard after a couple of days. The camera is now with Canon again. Luckily I live near a Canon repair centre and have a Canon Pro membership. But at the end of the day this camera is pretty much worthless as far as using it for any commercial work goes.

If they can't repair the camera this time around I think I'll give them the option of either replacing it with a brand new one or refunding me the money for the camera.

I am really concerned that there is a fundamental flaw either in the chip design of the main logic board or some problem with the firmware. Either would mean the problem is inherent in all cameras and most likely won't be solved in a hurry.

8. Collapse Details
    Help Please
    I m facing the same freeze issue with my 5D Mark II, I m using 32GB SanDisk Extreme card. Any ideas how to overcome this problem. Thanks.
    Last edited by Yasser; 08-07-2009 at 08:36 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasser View Post
    I m facing the same freeze issue with my 5D Mark II, I m using 32GB SanDisk Extreme card. Any ideas how to overcome this problem. Thanks.
    Hello Yasser,

Welcome to DVXUser! This looks like your first post. You'll find a wealth of information here and a very friendly and helpful community.

As for your problem with freezing, I'm going to say try different cards. I don't know why SanDisk has this problem but I have shot near 2 terabytes worth of footage with the $60 dollar Kingston 133x Elite Pro 32GB CF cards and have not had one freeze.

My Extreme III SanDisk 8GB cards won't make it through the whole card without freezing and locking up the camera where I ahve to take out the battery.

So as odd as it sounds, if not freezing up and loosing your shot is important, go with the cheaper Kingston cards. Avoid the expensive Extreme III for video.

Good luck!
    WGA Writer / Director / Photographer - IMDb
    Canon 5D Mark II - Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 3x - Manhattan LCD - Panasonic DVX100A - Letus35 Flip Enhanced - IndiRAILS - IndiFOCUS

WATCH Episode 1 of "MADISON AVERY" in HD

"Zimm" - www.ZimmTheSeries.com | www.youtube.com/ZimmTheSeries | www.facebook.com/ZimmTheSeries | www.twitter.com/ZimmTheSeries
    www.twitter.com/gregstorm

Check out my first multi-camera 5D Mark II production here.

10. Collapse Details
    Storm: I don't think your low volume stat is a definite prove of anything. I really fail to see the point of these "jumping to conclusion" threads because it does more harm to the issue in injecting confusion and unfound facts.

I don't own Sandisk extreme III 8GB cards and I've experienced the same issue. Don't know what card I used at the time but the cards I have a Kingston 133x 4GB and Sandisk II 4GB (both extreme and regular)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast