Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    clever title, curious to see what you do with this.
    good luck in the fest

2. Collapse Details
    Shooting in Thailand! Welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the jungle locations!

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Smarston! I'm curious, too.

Robert, I hope I can shoot at the locations I've chosen, when it's solid I will post some pics, for sure...

By the way, can anyone help me on how to post pics properly? I downrezzed the pics so they are small, but then they look much worse in the post than the downscaled version on my computer. Does the site scale them down even further??

Thanks and sorry, I have never tried to post pics before in the forum!

4. Collapse Details
    Man...flying cameras?!!?! I think you should get some award already!
    "I don't think there's any artist of any value who doesn't doubt what they're doing." Francis Ford Coppola

5. Collapse Details
    Haha if I can pull it off without crashing, knock on wood..."plain dumb-luck filmmaker" award, perhaps?

6. Collapse Details
    Finally found some time for some updates:

As you can see from the behind the scenes post, one of the highlights of this week has been to do some aerial video with my Nikon D90-suspended from a remote controlled helicopter! Sounds crazy? You don’t know half of it…But hey, it gives me another reason to sacrifice more virgins to appease the filmmaking gods, as long as they stop it from raining on the day we actually need to shoot, as rc choppers don’t fly in rough weather. Hopefully not too much to ask for at the start of an early rainy season in Thailand hehe..ahem.

Also, I want to announce how lucky I am to find talented people to work with on this film:

John – cinematography. Having been infused with special visual abilities at birth, his skills might finally prove to be useful (I mean be put to use) and save the day for this production!

Kelly – casting and promotion. Being a great actress herself, and having a network that extends beyond the internet’s, Kelly will ensure we find the right people for the job.

Joe Cummings – Location scouting, acting, scoring -Writer of many lonely planet books and other guide books, he knows Thailand like no other. Also a brilliant musician and an actor, Joe’s numerous talents will certainly add to the project.

Nate Harrison – actor. His talents as an actor deserve a bigger production. Fortunately, he’s willing to come on board and help make it happen!

Furthermore, I’m trying to get permission to shoot at various locations that might actually take more convincing power than a bottle of Sangsom (cheap Thai whiskey); I know some would say just steal the location without telling anyone, but that could risk spending a 7 hour drive and wasting 10 people’s time…which would also happen if it rains all day. Yikes. <clears throat> Hear ye, Hear ye! From this day henceforth, sacrifice at least two virgins per day to appease the gods of film! End of public service announcement.

Seriously though, if we can get the shots we need on those days, at those locations, it will have been more than worth it. I will put up some pics here soon.

7. Collapse Details
    I'm looking forward to some aerial photography. Good luck, I'm trying to help with the sacrificing, but it's hard to find a virgin in L.A.
    the abstinence of art is public education

8. Collapse Details
    Can we go RED?? Red one that is, not red supporters!
    Update 17/04/09

Funny. My short is set in Thailand amidst the political turmoil of the 1970's, and when we are trying to organize things, of course all the riots break out! I was racing down one of the main roads on my scooter last Sunday (when the riots just really started), I turned a corner and almost ran into a tank stationed right in front of one of the biggest local shopping malls! At the same time, thousands of protesters, all wearing red shirts and shouting, start running at the tanks. Some of them were capturing video, one protester even had what looked like a D90 or MarkII; he was definitely shooting video on a DSLR. Damn, where was my D90 when I needed it?

As much as I would have liked to stick around, the oncoming wave of aggression seemed to convince me to do otherwise, and I found myself weaving through protestors on scooters to get away.

Because of all this, the national holidays (Thai new year) have been extended, making it a bit harder for us to get things organized for my project. Blast political turmoil. And holidays for that matter. And the 37 degree centigrade sweltering heat/ humidity. Can't my producer do anything about this?? Oh that reminds me, I've hired a producer! Hooray!

Well regardless, a lot more has happened over the past week. We've been making progress on finding locations, thanks to our production team.

One of the locations is a pub here in Bangkok which could possibly be set in Amsterdam, we will use footage from Amsterdam to replace the exterior background (green screen).

Our casting is tomorrow, which we're all looking forward to.

Someone in the community has offered to let us use his Red One in exchange for help on a feature film later this year. We will meet Sunday to discuss details.

Still awaiting approval to shoot in a National park down south, around 7 hour drive from here (where we aim to shoot with the RC helicopters).

9. Collapse Details
    Alright I just had a casting today!
    It was really awesome and the people actually have talent. But it's still hard to make a decision! What do other people here base their decision on? How well you can work together, is that more important than fitting the role, do you think? Does casting performance really mean anything compared to what performance you can get out of an actor/actress after a lot of rehearsal? For the roles I have in mind, I never considered attraction very much, I imagined them as ordinary people, but for an audience it might make it more compelling to watch if the lead actor/actress is attractive? Opinions please!

10. Collapse Details
    i guess looks always help but I enjoy performances that are good and if the performance is good most of the time to me the looks don't matter, unless you need a specific look in that certain roll. I'm for performance.
    Luis R Cosme

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast