Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    anyone who does better than fifty percent acceptance is either lying or extraordinarily lucky. even the indies that make headlines were rejected by more than half the fests they submit to. it's very crowded out there.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

2. Collapse Details
    Have you guys heard of Withoutabox.com ?

It's a great tool to submit to many different festivals around the globe, and you can find ones that might fit your film.

3. Collapse Details
    Like Zak said, very crowded, and it's (IMO) VERY random/luck of the draw. Depends on what the fest may be looking for that year, the kind of person that's reviewing films (i.e. what their personal tastes are), and maybe even the mood they're in at the moment.

I submitted to 13, I believe, and only made it into 5 or 6 that I can recall off the top of my head, so not even quite 50%.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

4. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    It's even more crowded than you'd think. Unfortunately there are a lot more films up for submission, good bad and mediocre, so it's not always top notch stuff and the reviewers have to view a lot of bad stuff. Imagine the moods they must be in by the end of their day, espcially after an especially bad run of films that in their mind signal the death knells of cinema and creativity...

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

5. Collapse Details
    A friend of mine just won this year's Sundance Jury Prize for Best U.S. Short and he's still getting denied by other film festivals, so you just have to keep submitting and don't take rejection too hard.

Also, his film didn't even win the best Local San Diego Short at the San Diego Film Festival, but went on to win Sundance, so it's a reminder that certain film festivals have certain tastes so you just have to keep sending your stuff out there until it sticks to the right group.
    Last edited by chris f; 03-24-2009 at 03:16 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    I previewed 17 films (both shorts & features) for a festival here in SoCal and basically, recommended 2. One of them was screened. One of the ones I didn't recommend was accepted. It had won a couple of awards at another festival but I still didn't think it was very good. I was just one of many people pre-screening for the festival and I know that all the films were seen by more than one judge. But still, when you look at how may view slots compared to how many entries are received you can see right away that most of the entries aren't going to make it.

It's really important to know what the festival specializes in, too, or you'll just be wasting your entry fee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12