Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HPX300 + Super 16 (JVC HZ-CA13)
    Hey everyone

Mitch Gross at AbelCineTech posted on article on our blog about putting the JVC Super 16 adapter on the HPX300. I thought I would share - http://blog.abelcine.com/2009/03/12/...or-the-hpx300/

Also, we have a new blog! CineTechnica

Check it out to see what we've been up to.

Andy
    Andy Shipsides
    Diretor of Education
    AbelCine Los Angeles
    Visit Our Blog - CineTechnica
    Follow me on Twitter - @andyshipsides

2. Collapse Details
    I'll work on that. It's a nice combo.
    Andy Shipsides
    Diretor of Education
    AbelCine Los Angeles
    Visit Our Blog - CineTechnica
    Follow me on Twitter - @andyshipsides

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the article Andy. We discussed this configuration a while ago, so it would be nice to see some pics, and some footage if possible. Also it says in the article:

You get the field of view advantages but no change in depth of field, so it’s not like the popular lens systems with the spinning groundglasses out there.
    This can't be. So are you telling us that you got the same DOF with that 12mm Super speed(at f5.6 appr) compared to the stock Fujinon17x (at f4 appr.). If HPX300 was 2/3" this("No change in DOF") would make sense. You should be getting 16mm DOF at least with this set-up, which should be way shallower than the one you get with Fujinon.
    Last edited by VGurcu; 03-23-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Grammar

4. Collapse Details
    Andy, could you recommend a few good lens choices for the HVC S16 adapter.

Maybe a set of semi-affordable primes(if they exist) or not-so-affordable primes.

And maybe a few zooms with the proper rod support...

Mitch seemed to say that depth of field won't be helped much, but doesn't it
    improve dramatically if we go from 1/3" to S16 or 16mm--which is slightly better
    than 2/3" CCD size, right? Maybe not 35mm DOF, but at least as good or better
    than 2/3??!!?

Thanks,

Mike Favazza

5. Collapse Details
    Footage please. You shouldn't tease us like this! Interesting blog read. I've shot two shorts with the JVC HD250 + PL mount adapter + super speeds and I find it hard to believe that its "depth of field doesn't change".

Here's a totally random/ridiculous question. There are all these devices out there to use cine glass on B4/12 cameras and B4 glass on B12 cameras etc, is there anything out there (yet) that will let a user mount Nikon/Canon still lenses on a B12 body. One can even mount Nikons on a Red for pete's sake! This maybe the next big thing for indie film makers. HPX300 + Nikons....
    Ryan Skeete
    www.ryanskeete.com

6. Collapse Details
    nikon glass on the HPX-300
    [. One can even mount Nikons on a Red for pete's sake! This maybe the next big thing for indie film makers. HPX300 + Nikons....[/QUOTE]

i like this idea very much.

7. Collapse Details
    Someone's already got a Nikon adapter for the EX3
    http://www.cameraadaptors.com/

Don't imagine the HPX300 version would be too difficult to come up with. Although, I've heard of problems with the images people are getting from this adapter. Film lenses, are meant to focus on a single plane - that's why they work so well with the Red's single CMOS chip - focusing on 3 chips in a prism is another matter - hence the $4K+ price tag of the relay.
    Last edited by Kenn Christenson; 03-23-2009 at 10:19 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I didn't realize the EX3 was a B12 mount. If that's the case then users of the EX3 can swap lenses with the better HPX300 lens, correct?
    Ryan Skeete
    www.ryanskeete.com

9. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    The no change in DOF makes some sense to me though I am still looking for the actual answer, when we first started carrying the Redrock adapters I had the bright idea of setting up the adapter on a camera, getting it set up properly, then removing the spinning ground glass.

Since the camera would be focused/zoomed in to the same spot where the ground glass used to be, I figured you'd get the same characteristics but with less light loss (this was back when a redrock lost almost 2 stops of light). I got it working, but other than a FoV change I did not get the shallow DoF I was expecting.

The same thing is happening here, I just wish I knew why. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Daniel Colmenares
    Rental/Sales Agent
    EVS- HD Sales & Rentals
    1620 Flower Street
    Glendale, CA 91201
    (800) 238-8480
    (818) 552-4590

daniel@evsonline.com
    www.evsonline.com

10. Collapse Details
    Daniel, this thread might give you some insights into why the DOF doesn't change going aerial image vs ground glass.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/alternati...-adapters.html

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast