Thread: End of the Line

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Knight of the Holy Order krestofre's Avatar
    Does this meet the requirements? I couldn't find the gunfight.

Kidding.

Certainly the most action packed script I've read in the fest, and it works well. From the technical perspective I think Blaine has it right.

The only scene that really got to me was when the Bandit tried to have his way with the female passenger IN THE MIDDLE OF A GUNFIGHT! Even for a low-life Bandit trying to snag a good time while bullets are sailing overhead didn't strike me as logical. I think that you were trying to give O'Mally more humanity, but the scene plays a little off in my opinion.

Otherwise, a very enjoyable read. Thanks for writing!
    Chris Johnson

2. Collapse Details
    Well - you certainly won't be getting any of the ol' technical advice from me, shucks.
    Enjoyed the ride...sorry...read. A bit too rootin' tootin' for my personal tastes, but I feel you fulfilled the remit of the fest. I wrote in my notes - v. good read - loved the end dialogue... 'everybody dies...' yip, well done...

3. Collapse Details
    Ok,

Quote Originally Posted by DarkElastic View Post
    The constant O'Mally on every line of your action was slightly annoying and unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Bang BANG BANG pow pow ! Lots of action here - and indeed lots of of O'Mally!

O'Mally takes a dump, O'Mally shoots deputy#3b and so on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    to the writing. You don't have to put a space between each sentence. I think if you had put sentences together (like I'm doing here) you might have noticed HOW MANY TIMES YOU TYPED O'MALLY! "He" works well, too, when you've just set him up in the previous sentence.
    Sorry about that everyone. I do realize how annoying that is. I was breaking the sentences up as if each was a different shot but the constant use of O'Mally is wow, yeah, my bad. I'm ashamed.

Edit: O'Mally takes a dumb though, thats priceless Lawrie.

DarkElastic - Glad you liked it.

Lawrie -
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    The starting premise had me really going - I could almost see Lee Van Cliff as the Captain!
    if only, that's one of the coolest and biggest compliments you could say to me!

Now in this script we do have a revenge backstory so that is the meat on the bone to this but its slightly clumsy in its implementation and feels a little tacked on at the end. Perhaps if that narrative thread could run througout a little more - then we could simply see it come to 'fruition' at the end. This has served Sergio Leonne well enough!
    Leone was certainly a master of the art, looking back I know exactly where I could interject small moments of revelation on those flashbacks instead of tacking it onto the end and it would make for a more fulfilling story as well.

However (and im guilty of this as anyone) we are writing shorts outwith realistic production possibilities. I mean mine has some grand scenes (but its floating as a possible micro feature) - for this the chewed up luxury train carriages etc? Are we writing the 'impossible to produce?' at least for the world of shorts?
    Gonna be honest with you, I did not write this with the intention of making it or realizing someone might want to, oops, and so production costs and all that never occurred to me at the time.

Anyway my friend this is a far superior script (I hope you dont mind this comparison) and its just imo than the film you entered in Lossfest.
    Oh I highly agree, the Lossfest script was... well, yeah hahaha. Thanks for your review

Blaine -
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    Quite a battle you had going there. This is so much more than I expected after having watched you shorts in the fests.

Lot of high concept explosions and train derailment going on here. Probably a bit much for a short to get produced unless you do the majority of it CGI. It certainly had its moments of excitement.
    Yeah my shorts tend to be more realistic towards the budget I'm working with and the skill I have. Honestly wasn't writing this with the idea of getting produced but if it were, honestly, wouldn't you rather see a live-action train crash?

Then there's Pancho. I couldn't get the image of a Mexican Bandito out of my mind as I was reading it.
    Is that a good thing for you or not, cause that's what he is... but he just didn't get a name outside of the clothing he was wearing.

I just find it hard to accept him hanging a ten year-old boy without knowing more about him and that just wasn't going to happen considering the length of the script.This reads like an early draft. I think it would benefit by rewrites.
    Like I said to Lawrie, looking back I know how to fix it but at the time I was in a rush which I have to say is a terrible way to write a script. Don't have time to really focus in on what you want before its too late, so I apologize. Thanks for reading
    Last edited by MrKilloran; 03-26-2009 at 11:10 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Q
    Krestofre -
    Quote Originally Posted by krestofre View Post
    Does this meet the requirements? I couldn't find the gunfight.
    ... Weird, Isaac PM'd me about that saying I was missing something...

Certainly the most action packed script I've read in the fest, and it works well. From the technical perspective I think Blaine has it right.
    Yeah, Blaine usually is...

I think that you were trying to give O'Mally more humanity, but the scene plays a little off in my opinion.
    I don't really know, it needs some work, that probably should have come WAAAAAY before the gunfight. Thanks for reading

NJPage - Why no technical advice? Thanks for reading!

5. Collapse Details
    Yeeeeeehaw...now thats a gunfight! Once the action started it didn't let up. I thought you did a fine job of making the action clear and easy to follow, it flowed really well for me.

I had a couple of nitpicks, but they've already been addressed by others, the attempted rape, tad bit more info about the flashback.

I like how you turned the tables near the end and we find out Pike is really the bad guy or at least even worse than the "bad guys". Nice job of setting it up as well, when Pike steals the gold bar. This made the past event all the more believable. Well done.

That last bit of dialogue is one of my favorites in the fest.

Created some nice visuals, explosions the train top scene. This was a fun ride!
    Last edited by Russell Moore; 03-27-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    the writer formerly known as "Conlan Forever"

Need a short script?
    Have an idea? Want to collaborate? Contact me.

screenwriter75@yahoo.com

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKilloran View Post
    Blaine -
    Is that a good thing for you or not, cause that's what he is... but he just didn't get a name outside of the clothing he was wearing.
    If it was your intention to make him Mexican, then it was a good thing because that's how I saw him.

7. Collapse Details
    Just read this one and man was there some gnarly action going on!

I like how you didn't take the typical route of the law being the good and the bandit being the bad.

Your descriptions and dialogue flowed really well. I could picture it in my head.

I did notice, as others have, that "O'Mally" kept popping up a lot of times but I suppose with breaking up every line of action that's pretty necessary.

Anyways, loved all the action... t'was a fun ride!
    Timothy Collins - Writer/Director - Facebook | YouTube | IMDb | Twitter

DREAMSPACE (Short Film) - 2nd Place @ 81st annual GCA Film Festival 2012
    Scriptfest IV: "GHOST TOWN"
    - Top 10

8. Collapse Details
    Wow! There was some great action going on in this one. It made it so much fun to read and I could tell that it would be just as much fun to watch as a film. The only thing I wish I knew more about was why Pike was going to hang little O' Mally. Outside of that there's plenty to dig about this story. I like the way O'Mally helps the girl out on the train giving us a reason to sort of root for him. It makes the ending, when he gets away with it all, work really well. Nice Job!

9. Collapse Details
    Totally loved it!

10. Collapse Details
    I like it all. The pacing, the general beat, the drop back in time to give some back story. Just enough to keep everything interesting. Well written. Good Job!
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast