1. Collapse Details
    Clarification on Posting Footage and Extended Cuts
    We've had some questions come up about our policies and we'd like to take a moment to clarify some things, and we'll be clarifying the rules in the future.

First, on posting footage: the rule is that no footage in your film, from your film, or shot for your film*, should be posted anywhere at any time, except for your actual festival entry, until such a point as your film is no longer in competition. So, if you submit your film to DVXFest, it can't be online anywhere else until after the voting closes. Now, if the first round of voting closes and you are not selected as a finalist, then as far as that film goes the competition is over for you so sure, go ahead, post anything anywhere you want. But if your film is still a finalist, then it's still in competition, so no, no footage anywhere (and that includes here) other than your actual festival entry.

Once voting is closed for your film, you are then free to post outtakes, bloopers, extended cuts, whatever you want. It's your film, do whatever. But as a condition of being eligible to win prizes or the title of DVXFest Winner, we have to keep a level playing field, which is why these rules exist.

The rules mean that you cannot go posting alternate versions, "fixed" versions, extended versions, or anything like that until after final voting for your film closes. It is unfair to the other contestants, if someone sees a different version of your film (other than the official cut that you submitted on or before the deadline) and that somehow influences their voting. We have to keep an even playing field, and that means that the version you submit at the deadline is the only version anyone is allowed to see until voting closes.

Now, we do have an exception in there for actual festival screenings... heck, if your film gets accepted to Tribeca or SXSW, we're not going to tell you you can't exhibit it. And as Jack points out in the post below, a live screening is unlikely to affect our voting pool anyway. Actually, Jack's post pretty much says it all (and with brevity).

We apologize for any misunderstandings caused by the wording of our rules; we're trying to evolve the fest to be the best and most fair it can be. When we added the "outside promotion" angle, it brought up some potential for confusion with the way the rules were currently written. We know what we meant, but if we didn't express it properly then it's our fault and we take the blame, and that's why we're trying to make sure to clarify it for everyone.

Thank you all for understanding and for your cooperation.

But the no footage prior to 3/13 means no footage of ANY kind prior to 3/13 and then on 3/13 you could upload the ACTUAL footage (the film) ... here. So no footage anywhere prior, and then yes footage here after. It's not meant to imply that you can upload it elsewhere as well after the 13th. As I said though, we'll clarify that in the future and make it explicit.

Our reasoning is a level playing field. Everyone is screened in the same format in the same file size / bitrate restrictions, etc.

To further clarify: yes you can screen at a live fest or university after 3/13 because none (or likely very few) of the voters can see that. But no you can't screen anywhere else online until voting closes because that would go against the same format / restrictions in screening etc, and eligible voters could all go watch it there instead.
    * okay, a question we get asked all the time is "can I show alternate takes or bloopers or ..." and the answer is "probably not, so please just wait until voting is closed." If the footage looks like it came from your film (i.e., a take you didn't use, etc) then please don't post it, it's against the rules. No trailers, etc. The fest itself should be the place where moving images are unveiled.
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 03-21-2009 at 01:17 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Barry what if you posted it but it is private. Sometimes I've needed advice from someone in another state. It can't be watched but only by person I give the password too.

3. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Barry what if you posted it but it is private. Sometimes I've needed advice from someone in another state. It can't be watched but only by person I give the password too.
    I believe private viewings are fine. This would fall under that category.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you.