Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Well, if you're shooting in low light, with limited budget for lighting, you're better off shooting with the DVX than either the HVX OR RED.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    Well, if you're shooting in low light, with limited budget for lighting, you're better off shooting with the DVX than either the HVX OR RED.

I would say that the D90 could be even better in low light.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yeehaanow View Post
    I would say that the D90 could be even better in low light.
    I'm sure it would. I was just pointing out that even the "lowly" DVX still has its strong points.

4. Collapse Details
    In regards to this camera thing-

I used the DVX (with light-swallowing adapter, mind you) for Twilightfest. This time I did the Ultimate and used the still jpegs from the D90. I would say that even though it can't shoot 24p (In Still Mode), the image quality surpasses any digital video camera, including RED -- IMO.

This was an enlightening experience for me, and looking at DVX footage now, I see the LIGHT. I now notice the lack of detail in the color sampling and resolution. It's shockingly obvious, whereas before, I was oblivious to it.

You can see the difference easily between the footage in the movie, and the BTS video (shot with the dvx) in the same lighting setup.

I would certainly recommend this as a great exercise to "train you eyes" to anyone who wants to see what spectacular footage looks like, in order to emulate it as best you can with the video camera. It's also amazing stuff to work with when color correcting. After the fest, I'll upload the HD version so you can see what I mean.

Hopefully, my next short will be on film, and I'll jump up even another level. Anyone care to donate to the Film Fund?
    Last edited by Tim Joy; 03-18-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: clarifications

5. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    D90 cant' shoot 24p? Huh?

And surpasses RED in video or still mode? Still mode isn't even a valid debate, RED is not a still oriented camera (although you can pull very awesome stills from it.)

Can't say that the D90 image quality even gets close to RED. This coming from a D90 owner and ritual RED shooter.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

6. Collapse Details
    I'll be sticking with with my DVX until my abilities are greater than my equipment, so i have a little while ;-)

7. Collapse Details
    Someone here has a passion for the D90. It certainly cannot be compared to the RED. It is a camera only good for certain things. Zak and Tim utilized it fully in two different ways. In video mode, not great, and in still mode below an acceptable fps for shooting a narrative, not great. Its great for making art films and that can be limiting for other filmmakers.

8. Collapse Details
    I totally agree. “The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscurl View Post
    I'll be sticking with with my DVX until my abilities are greater than my equipment, so i have a little while ;-)
    You're a wise, WISE man.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    I totally agree. “The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”
    Your on top of the threads, man. I probably should have worded it a bit more carefully. That camera is great for making films, films that are more stylized than what others may want. That's the only way you are going to get mileage out of it. I wanted to see your film made on something that gives a little more sharpness. Others may contest that the D90 gave it a dreamy quality, so be it. Just a personal opinion. It had a beautiful thing going on, but was kind of muddy looking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast