Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    So please agree/or disagree relative to my post if you have something to say, but please don't attempt some straw summary of my position ;)
    Says the man who interpreted a snide remark as "ridiculing artistic endeavor" and "defending mediocrity" and went on to give a straw summary of the voters in this fest

If I thought the films were mediocre I wouldn't be defending them. And I would never ridicule an artist for attempting to innovate. I just don't see innovation as the be all, end all of artistic merit.

Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    I just know im going to end up get percieved as some kind of evil British art snob (actually I am so fair enough muhaha) but here's the logic I don't accept. Some might say, well not everybody likes 'arty' films or 'intellectual' films. Now whether those merits exist in a film is fairly subjective - (but lets not kid ourselves that its sooo subjective as to become some kind of metaphysical non-point...)
    You'd probably be surprised to learn that I'm something of a film snob myself, and British to boot. I don't disagree with your sensibilities regarding 'intellectual' films. And I'm certainly not one of the uneducated masses to which you refer. I've studied the greats, and not so greats. 8 out of my 10 favourite movies are European and pre-1970s. You could probably guess one of them based on my username. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good genre flick if it's well-executed and entertaining.

For entertainment value I'd take a solid genre flick over pretentious experimental garbage like Last Year at Marienbad any day of the week.

Over to you

2. Collapse Details
    It's been fun... but on to other things

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213