Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I have rethought selling my HVX to get a 200A or 170. I ran across a set of scene files that when implemented, have made me MUCH happier with the footage I am getting.
    That, combined with making sure things are well lit. To me, it just doesn't make sense right now to sell my camera for $2000 and spend $4000 more to replace the camera and the accessories that now won't fit (assuming I get the 170). All to get a noise improvement that will never be noticeable on the web, where 90% of my stuff goes.
    I'm waiting till my HVX dies- which, with a solid state camera, could be a long time. My VX-1000 DV camera lasted over 10 years!
    A feature film shot on the Sony FS7

www.Summerof67.com

2. Collapse Details
    I'm keeping my HVX200. It doesn't make sense for me to sell it when I can get great footage with the correct lighting - I'll use the money I'd spend upgrading on lighting and/or other equipment.

I think I'll order a couple Kino Divas.

3. Collapse Details
    In today's economy, it doesn't make sense to buy any camera unless you can pay for it very quickly and have signed contracts. I am very tempted to go for the HPX300 or possibly even a 2700, but I will not be doing that unless I sign a contract with a network and receive a deposit check that will pay for it.

I know we all like to have the latest toys but until the economy rebounds and money and credit begin to flow a little more, it jut seems nuts to spend thousands of dollars unless it saves you money by not having to do long term rentals.

Dan
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    If you are not a pro making money with the tools at hand then you are a hobbiest. In those terms if you want another type of camera to experiment some more, and you can afford it, then you go out and buy it. There is really no reason to ask this kinds of questions about a camera that professionals are still making money with. The original HVX 200 is still a high quality piece of equipment that produces great footage, there is no doubt about that.

5. Collapse Details
    Another tip- for better production value, I would suggest you invest on your post-production workflow. Nowadays, its in Post that you can make a huge visual difference...
    SÚrgio Perez
    Macanese Director
    http://vimeo.com/user1503556

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    And if you wanted to replace it this isn't the time. None of the current (video) cameras in that price range are significantly better. The HPX300 is an entirely different form factor. The EX3 is nearly as large and the EX1 isn't petite.

In 5-6 months there will be a host of new cameras from several vendors (GH-1, HVX200, HMC160?, XL-H2, XL-A2, D400, D800, Rebel something or other, Samsung, etc.) that dramatically increase your options.

If you wanted to try something, there are filters or a matte box and filters, a 35mm adapter (letus, SGBlade, etc.), some lights, a better mic, a field mixer, a new tripod, some gels, other grip equipment, stuff in post, etc.

7. Collapse Details
    The HVX/HPX is a camera that you buy and never sell. I'll most likely keep my 170 forever, it's to good of a camera to get rid of, and I'm sure many users feel the same way.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    The year is 2025...Panasonic stopped selling P2 5 years earlier. 3D cameras shooting 8k images that are recorded uncompressed cost $3k.

16 years ago I shot SVHS-C with a camera larger than an EX1.

Forever?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
    The year is 2025...Panasonic stopped selling P2 5 years earlier. 3D cameras shooting 8k images that are recorded uncompressed cost $3k.

16 years ago I shot SVHS-C with a camera larger than an EX1.

Forever?
    I didn't mean that it will be good enough to shoot on forever.

What I meant was, by the time it becomes outdated, it wont be worth selling. Better to keep it, so 20 years from now I can show my kids my vintage hpx170 and those crazy P2 cards

10. Collapse Details
    I am still shooting my DVX, I bought that, what about six or seven years ago? I will never sell it. I may have to sell the 170 off eventually, just because I would need the money to finance the new camera but we shall see. So far, the 170 is another classic and I would like to keep it forever.

Dan
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast