Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    OK, filmguy. I disagree with pretty much everything you said, but there is no fruit to be harvested in what will amount to a "nuh-uh!" and "uh-huh!!!" exchange. I still think you're using the word "aesthetic" to mean something different than I do, and I have no idea what you must consider "filmic" to say the HVX isn't, but there's no point in going around and around about it. I'm entirely content to let people look at the images and make up their own minds; I really don't care what anyone shoots with.
    Hey, no worries, and I'm sorry anything came off wrong. You are right, we can agree to disagree and let the images speak for themselves.

2. Collapse Details
    In the hands of a skilled cinematographer, almost any camera can look good. I admit there is some awful stuff out there shot with the HVX, but the same applies to the 5D, AF100 and yes, even the RED. If in doubt... you need to check this out:

Speaking of the RED, and also, the BMCC... have you noticed how these state of the art cameras have adopted SSD media ( which is very similar to P2 media ) ? There is a reason for it... solid state media is superior... if in doubt... go check the 5D RAW issues users are having with their wimpy little sd cards...
    Last edited by EDV; 08-11-2013 at 07:43 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    [QUOTE=EDV;1986350019] "The whole DSLR revolution is creating a generation of people that rely on the sensor's low light capabilities, instead of the craft of lighting a scene. Web compression: Like it or not, YouTube is becoming the new CableTV... and anything goes there."

Even broadcast production values are going into the crapper with the onset of cheap DSLR's and GoPro's in reality shows and even dramatic series. There is so much handheld, shaky s*%t going on that it makes me seasick to watch. Jump cuts are all the rage. And don't forget to throw a few jerky zooms in to sweeten the pot. Whatever happened to solid, well-lighted, and well-composed images shot with high-end cameras and lenses for that "broadcast look"?

4. Collapse Details
    I own an HMC150 and shot with the HVX200 a lot for work. I also own a GH2.

At times, the footage from the GH2 makes the HMC stuff look *very* bad. The HMC has always been annoyingly soft, noisy (relative to DSLRs) with crappy looking highlights when they clip.

At the same time, when footage is well lit and fits within the dynamic range of the HMC, I actually prefer it's color science to the GH2. GH2 colors have always bugged me a little bit.

The web is the great equalizer. Most people upload low bitrate 5mpbs sources to vimeo/youtube which end up getting recompressed to look like garbage. A lot of the technical advantages that the GH2 has (sharpness, less noise) go out the window. Taking the time to upload high quality sorces goes a long way towards making cameras shine, but most just watch the 360p version and don't bother.

I wouldn't say the HVX/HPX/HMC is dead just yet.

5. Collapse Details
    I read a lot of posts here and hardly comment-but I'd like to jump into this with some recent experience.

I just edited a short project that was shot on Canon DSLRs (5d MKII I believe). I am editing on a nice 22 inch monitor. Several years ago I had shot basically the same thing with my HVX and HMC150 and inevitably I had to go back and grab a couple of stock shots. What I found was that I actually preferred the older panasonic images. Dramitically more. They seemed more cinematic (!) and natural.

The DSLR video did not seem to have any dynamic range advantages which for me is the only reason to upgrade. Also, even after some (admittedly very basic) color correction and levels work the DSLR were still way more contrasty. The colors seemed smooth and plasticy without those subtle color details (if that makes sense) Not quite as natural as the HVX/HMC but close. The DSLRs did seem to have more detail and less depth of field-but I'm not sure either is necessarily a huge advantage. The soft and noisy video coming out of those old cameras actually added to the image-I know it shouldn't be so but it is. Shallow DOF, in this case especially, made it harder for the guys to keep the right thing in focus.

I think the shallow DOF and resolution issues have become misnomers for quality in the video world. And I had been lusting after the latest and greatest since first getting my HVX. Yes low light is important, and those DSLRs certainly kicked the crap out of the HVX there. But they still don't look filmic. Are those cameras worse than an old HVX? Of course not. But they not so much better that I need to rush out and buy one just to stay on top (and out of money).

So to answer the question: no the HVX is not obsolete. And when (if) it is, so will most of the DSLRs.

6. Collapse Details
    I just re-watched a commercial DVD that I shot in 1080i on the HPX170 (the HVX's cousin) a couple of years back and am still very pleased with how it turned out. The combination of CCDs and the Panasonic mo-jo makes for a gorgeous organic image. For DVD you couldn't ask for a better camera and not too shabby for web work either although I wish it had 1080p60. For those who have never shot with this camera it is hard to explain how good the image looks. I will be getting a modern b-cam of another make soon and am interested in comparing the two.
    Last edited by Mark Williams; 08-20-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
    Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

7. Collapse Details
    Many have ignored what good shooting is, choosing a cameras aesthetic first. "28 days Later" and "Iraq in Fragments" were two cinematically impacting films in my life. Both were out in the wild, and not in controlled studios.

Also, the term 'filmic' has evolved since miniDV days. And at one time the DVX100 was comparatively filmic. I think the term still applies. The 720p Varicam doesn't have the DR nor large sensor, but I still like its image and aesthetic. I would even call it filmic ;)

We have now seen filmguy123's work, while full of nice shots, some prevalent over exposure issues in a documentary, and a zombie music video that looked video-ish despite using a more 'filmic' video camera.

In my video work, I have never sought after the film look. Never made sense to me, as it looks counterfeit that way.

Seems like some of the guys in this post were going over board saying the HVX is 'obsolete', which is the OP question. It is definitely not obsolete, but maybe merely outdated.
    At least we all agree: Video cameras are getting better
    Last edited by James0b57; 08-19-2013 at 10:09 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    The HVX literally still "going strong" in 2013..!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Im in final edit of a full length Motorsports feature that has a ton of HPX170 footage

10. Collapse Details
    The images still hold up, I'll have shots from the original HVX on my reel for a while...but I sold it while it still retained some value.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast