Thread: Stark nights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Stark nights
    This is a late thread..... but if you have any comments to make about Stark Nights, please feel free to post specifically in this thread.

Ryan J
    Life's too short not to do what you love.

2. Collapse Details
    This has an interesting feel to it... I like the rather dusty, obscure cinematography approach on this one. Personally, I don't know if I could handle the image on a large screen... it may induce a slight headache with the out of focus elments.. kinda of like cloverfield did for me... but nonetheless I really like the look and tone.

You're cramming a lot of story into six minutes and you did it well. It doesn't feel rushed or lopped apart by editing. I don't entirely get the story... it's one of those where I feel there are so many existential forces operating outside the frame it's hard to understand everything. A lot of characters and lots of background action that has to be filled in expositional through dialogue.

Random thoughts... the guy shooting the gun to wake the other up... it's too much and it'd probably alert every neighbor in the area. I do like the actors voice though... "why did you have me killed..." that's a really cool moment and I love revenge stories... nicely done scene here.

I like how you move quickly to them in the car... yet at the same time, I find that to be a weird place to put him because he's not in control of the situation... these people could just have him killed easy with him sitting in the back like that. He doesn't have good leverage IMO. I'd rather him lose the gun at that point so it seems like they resolved that earlier issue and have settled on a result.

3:03 - 3:10 is friggin awesome... one of the coolest moments I've seen in the fest...

3:25 is a great shot... beautiful although I'm uncertain of the moment from a story perspective...

Didn't dig the ending that much though... her killing em' all off... but did really like her just sitting there smoking the cigarette ... yet didn't like the end 'end' without giving it away.

Overall, nice entry, thanks for sharing!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_R View Post
    3:03 - 3:10 is friggin awesome... one of the coolest moments I've seen in the fest..
    The funny thing about that shot is it was supposed to take place in a bathroom, but I just had this idea of shooting them having a chase/shootout through car wash bays. It just seemed visually more interesting (plus we didn't want to go find a public bathroom to shoot in) My partner in crime Josh was like okay let's do it, so we shot it and just as we finished the cops pulled up! We quickly put down the cameras and the weapons and drove off.

3:25 is a great shot... beautiful although I'm uncertain of the moment from a story perspective...
    That's the moment where we believe that our lead character has killed Kathryn in the first movie, but we find out in this movie that he did not kill her. I actually got that shot hand held with an HV30 which was just our B cam since about 95% of the movie was shot with the D90. I'm glad you liked it!

Thanks for taking the time to watch our movie Geoff! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

4. Collapse Details
    Well, I liked this half a bit more than the other half. The acting here was a little bit better and this one stood on its own more than the other. There was still a lot packed in here but it made more sense than the other...but then, I have seen the other, haven't I so am I assimilating what I saw there and using it to fill in the background here? I don't know. There were things to like here and I can see the potential of where this could go given the chance.

5. Collapse Details
    So theres another half to this movie... okay Am I watching in reverse order?

6. Collapse Details
    Some parts were really well done. The gunshots looked good, especially the action in the car wash. The overhead shot in the Don's office was very cool. The girl shooting her admirer was a nice surprise twist.

The stuff in the car seemed out of focus, but otherwise it looked good.
    "Talent + Perseverance = Luck."
    - Steven Soderbergh

7. Collapse Details
    So theres another half to this movie... okay Am I watching in reverse order?
    No actually there's no real order, but Gray Days would take place before Stark Nights in my opinion.

8. Collapse Details
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    I love the lens flares when tracking past the carwash bays. You had some great shots in both. I preferred Gray days over stark nights. maybe because I watched it first. either way. Fantastic job on both. Part one is still my SH!T.

Canon 7D+Teddybear T-Finder+Tamron & Canon Glass+lighting+a bunch of other stuff+2 Beautiful Babies.

"Torn" Available now!
    http://www.rsquaredfilms.com/films/torn.html

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/47561

"RaZoRbLaDe cItY" December 2010. A Maverick Entertainment Release
    http://www.maverickentertainment.cc/...azorblade-city

9. Collapse Details
    As I said in your other thread, I am totally in love with the look of the D90 footage. The colors and mood it creates seem so film like. I might have to get that camera.

BTW, how did you deal with recording and syncing the sound?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filthrich View Post
    I love the lens flares when tracking past the carwash bays. You had some great shots in both. I preferred Gray days over stark nights. maybe because I watched it first. either way. Fantastic job on both. Part one is still my SH!T.
    Thanks! I like Gray Days alot too myself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast