Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filthrich View Post
    1. Dig deeper into character development.

2. I really need a full crew.

3. Production design plays such an important role.

4. Take the time with the script and play with new ideas about where the story can be taken.

5. A follow focus and good HD monitor is must for my style of shooting.

6. I know that I have gotten better but still need a lot work.

7. That the comments and critiques are absolutley critical in the growth process.

8. That no film is flawless.
    If you follow your advice and continue to work it out, you're going to be a force to reckon with around here.

2. Collapse Details
    I think I learned what I needed to learn. I mainly focused on solidifying my methods of working with actors to get consistent results I'm looking for. Meaning, I focused some of the things I tell actors.

I also think I have a better idea of how I want to fit improv into my process.

Also learned what it takes to work with the RED in production and in post. Which was another goal in doing this project, in prep for a feature, so I know what I am in for.

I experimented much more with a looser camera over all than I had before, so I learned a lot of where the bounds are with that, as well as the limitations of doing that with a larger camera like RED, both for the camera ops and getting the thing into tight spaces.

Hmm, will think on this some more.

3. Collapse Details
    making this film, i learned a lot. off the top of my head, no particular order:

1. i'm not very good at this. i'm not even as good as i thought i was.
    2. preparing for a shoot is essential. a shot sheet is a must.
    3. shooting fast causes stress on the set, and even bigger problems in post. schedule plenty of time to get what you need.
    4. taking enough time to get good audio is just as important as anything else.
    5. that little flip-out screen on the camera is NOT accurate in any way.
    6. doing it all yourself is very difficult. any help is huge.
    7. no one is as excited about your film as you are. not even your wife, haha.
    8. did i mention shot sheets? scouting is a good idea, too.
    9. giving actors direction is a good thing; don't just assume they know what you want. especially if they're not real actors. then they need more to go on.
    10. light in any form helps pictures look good, so use whatever you can. there's a big one in the sky.

i could go on, but i won't. i had a tough time with just about every part of the process. hope next time i am better prepared and a little more crafty.

4. Collapse Details
    1. make each day more productive instead of having more days...
    2. start production really really early...
    3. make simple stories with minimal # of actors, # of locations, difficult scenes and concentrate on executing what you have flawlessly.
    4. writing a crappy script then refining it to a good one is loads easier than trying to write a good one from the get-go. (for me anyway)
    5. plan plan plan plan plan... count on forgetting at least 1 thing every shoot. Count on some stuff to go wrong... Count on pickup days...

5. Collapse Details
    Just from watching films from the US, Europe and the British entry.

1. US filmmakers need to take a leaf out of European filmmakers, Europeans need to take a leaf from US filmmakers, and British filmmakers need anti-depressants and that I need a spell checker for most of my film feedback reviews!
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Just from watching films from the US, Europe and the British entry.

1. US filmmakers need to take a leaf out of European filmmakers, Europeans need to take a leaf from US filmmakers, and British filmmakers need anti-depressants and that I need a spell checker for most of my film feedback reviews!
    Spell checker or not, your reviews are rock solid.

And I completely agree. We'll never hurt ourselves by borrowing from other nationality-based filmmaking aesthetics. It will, of course, make things more comprehensive and fuller.

*Saturday Audience Choice Award--Canton Palace Theatre International Film Festival

7. Collapse Details
    Also, I've learned that leaving lengthy reviews on every film is an arduous, but ultimately very rewarding, process. It seems that the comments have really been beneficial.

*Saturday Audience Choice Award--Canton Palace Theatre International Film Festival

8. Collapse Details
    Indeed well thanks very much for complimenting my reviews - i mean we're all artists and all our points of view are totally relative and subjective anyway. I remember at film university that people (in the UK) were particularly arthouse designated (no bad thing) but it meant some of my er genre based melodrama's went down like a lead balloon lol

Here they might get a better reception - i mean we've all experienced it. Annnyway to cut a long story short I too have got tired of writing lengthy reviews but i have come up with an incredible and uber er masterplan!

A full video review of all entries! That's right, tomorrow or the day after i will post a thread up that offers a full feedback (in one video stream) of all the films I saw. Voila!
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Indeed well thanks very much for complimenting my reviews - i mean we're all artists and all our points of view are totally relative and subjective anyway. I remember at film university that people (in the UK) were particularly arthouse designated (no bad thing) but it meant some of my er genre based melodrama's went down like a lead balloon lol

Here they might get a better reception - i mean we've all experienced it. Annnyway to cut a long story short I too have got tired of writing lengthy reviews but i have come up with an incredible and uber er masterplan!

A full video review of all entries! That's right, tomorrow or the day after i will post a thread up that offers a full feedback (in one video stream) of all the films I saw. Voila!
    Terrific idea! A full examination of the films streaming right out of the mouth. Very nice. Looking forward to it.

10. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Mind you I have only watched half of the shorts so far, but I am noticing that no one can do everything and it takes a good team to succeed.

Oh, and clean your camera's lens.
    Last edited by Chris_Keaton; 03-12-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    Chris Keaton - Writer | Website | Email | imdb |

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast