Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    I try, but man, that is harder that I would have guessed, kudos to all of you guys that are able to write a review of every movie, I finally made it through all of them yesterday, and it seems like by this point everything that I could add has already been covered, but I am still going to try to do it, but it may take awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Many people vote and don't bother to comment.

I would be nice if everyone who made a movie took the time to comment though.

I'm almost finished myself.

MAH

2. Collapse Details
    Its really the quality of the reviews that matter, not quantity. Its fortunate to have this forum where we can exercise or ideas on film, even experiment with them, and get a generous amount of feedback. I think this is better than rating cards at a test screening. Many of the comments are more precise, even the ones with two lines.

I really believe many are voting and probably only 1 to 5 percent are commenting.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm glad I was able to leave lengthy reviews on everyone's films. It makes me feel better knowing that they got at least one more angle of approach or perspective on their film.

*Saturday Audience Choice Award--Canton Palace Theatre International Film Festival

4. Collapse Details
    Just an update on the numbers. At this point the films have been downloaded just under 3000 times each. We've delivered, from the six mirrors, 1,975 GB (yes, that's just under 2TB) of data ... thanks to all our mirror providers!

5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    Can we get # of votes cast, with a min, max and ave for all films (without naming any films specifically of course)? That seems fair to see the spread and ave across the sprectrum
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

6. Collapse Details
    I will tell you that the spread of number of votes cast between films was better than I have ever seen it. I did a quick calculation on the average number of votes cast per film. Looking down the list, almost all of the films look like they are within maybe + or - 3 or 4 of that or so... Which is absolutely fantastic.

For example, if you took x film and y film and there was a vote difference of 10 between the two films, AND every single one of those votes extra votes were a perfect 10 or perfect 1, the impact on the system would still be pretty negligible given the number of votes... not to mention that something would be painfully obvious and spotted quite easily.

To give you an idea... there are around 550 people who have logged in to dvxfest that are eligible to vote. Not all of those vote of course, but that is a pretty strong pool of people watching the films that are also eligible to vote. Especially considering where we were back in the day before implementing this new system.

Please don't ask for further information beyond what I have just given. It seems everytime we give out more information, the only result is a few people wrapping conspiracy theories around it and creating a big nasty thread.

I promise that the system works well, and only needs a relatively small number of votes in order to be robust enough to have confidence in.

If it wasn't working, we would have since moved to something else... but, for our purposes of member driven fests, it's been working great and we continue to work on improving it, as well as putting additional firewalls, and larry's cool back end code that allows us to break down results every which a way to look for inconsistencies... Which would be a direct response to your earlier post about why it took x amount of time for the results to be announced..... firstly, people have jobs and such 2nd, b/c we take it very seriously and were running the final numbers through the system and verifying all of the results for accuracy.

later,
    jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

7. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post

If it wasn't working, we would have since moved to something else...
    I just wanted to add... when I asked about the voting figures it wasn't a knock against the system. I just wanted to know how many members were voting, nothing more.

Take care,

MAH

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345