Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My computer doesn't recognize my Panasonic AG-DVX100A as newly detected hardware
    Unhappy
    I just bought a used Panasonic AG-DVX100A camcorder. When I hook it up to my firewire port and turn on the cam , nothing happens (when I hook up my still camera to my USB port my computer always recognizes it as newly detected hardware). Therefore, I cannot download any video.

The seller told me that he doesn't remember the camcorder coming with any downloadable disc when he bought it and he doesn't think it needs a driver downloaded to the computer. A friend told me that I need an editing system like Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas installed before the computer will recognize the camcorder.

Questions: 1) Does the camcorder need a driver installed?
    2) If not , do I need to install Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas editing system installed before my computer will recognize the camcorder as external hardware?
    3) If not, what to do?

Help!!!
    Last edited by honolulupono; 02-25-2009 at 02:39 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Boring Senior Member ilauzirika's Avatar
    Hi there,
    Congratulations for your new purchase!
    To download your footage you have to use the firewire. Usually, at least in my computer, nothing shows up
    , I just open premiere and use the capture window to capture. Have you tried to capture it even if nothing showed up?
    Iņaki Lauzirika
    My Dreamstime profile
    IMDB page
    Panasonic HMC151 #302

3. Collapse Details
    If you don't yet have an NLE ( Non Linear Editor) like Premier, Vegas, etc, or Final Cut if you're on Mac, then you'll have to come up with something. No operating system that I know of will recognize camcorders without having a specific program (an NLE) that can handle the media.

Windows has a small "Movie" program that you can make simple edits on to piece together your video shots. I don't know if it still comes with Windows (or Vista) or if you have to get it as a separate program.

Answers to : #1 The "driver" is part of the NLE .

#2 Yes, you have to have an NLE to recognize the camera. There are other NLE's for PC besides Premier & Vegas. It just depends on how plain or fancy you want to be able to make your videos.

#3 See answer # 2

4. Collapse Details
    The editing system that came with my computer is Windows Movie Maker. However, even in capture mode it does not recognize my cam as newly installed hardward.
    As far as Adobe Premier is concerned, it's so expensive! Sony Vegas might be in my price range. However, at this point I understand that the learning curve for Adobe premier is steep. I will eventually want to buy that software to make my videos more professional looking. I will get it if the program shows you a simple way to just edit, title and save the video. However, if it is not simple is there some other affordable editing system that is fairly easy to learn for simple editing and that will recognize my cam?

5. Collapse Details
    Boring Senior Member ilauzirika's Avatar
    think there was a free to use or really cheap NLE out there. But I can't remember it's name, maybe someone does. I would use anything over windows movie maker......(but that's just my opinion....)
    Iņaki Lauzirika
    My Dreamstime profile
    IMDB page
    Panasonic HMC151 #302

6. Collapse Details
    Heya,

What about Premiere Elements? It's cheap and you can do all the basic editing stuff in it. It makes some things a little harder than in the pro version, but for the money it's fine. Pretty easy to use, simple interface, etc.

7. Collapse Details
    I heard that Premier Elements does not recognize this particular camcorder.

8. Collapse Details
    I made a test and Movie Maker recognize my DVX100AE and my NV-GS50 (only used as a video). But it was slower than Premiere CS3.

9. Collapse Details
    Well, my Movie Maker doesn't recognize my AG-DVX100A. Anyone know whether there are any NLE systems out there that is not so expensive as Adobe Premiere? I spent all my money on the cam!
    If not, where is the cheapest place I can buy Adobe Premier???

10. Collapse Details
    Google is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast