Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Right, so i just went and did a test with my EX1.

Threw it into 1080 50i - the same setting we were playing with the HPX300 in.

Turned the OIS off. Cause of course.. the hpx doesnt have it.

Zoomed right in on a bunch of vertical bars.. and went wild.

Wow, i guess what i just learnt was the fact that shooting progressive masks skew.. because at 1080i on the EX1 there was a hell of a lot of skew going on. Not not as much as i saw with the HPX300, however it was very close.. and the bars i had been shooting were about the same distance away.

Now the only thing i can think that would alter this test was the focal length of the lens.. a 14x compared to a 17x.. and that would definitely make a difference in skew exaggeration.

Still, need to get the cameras side by side and test it..

2. Collapse Details
    And remember that the long end o f the 17X is longer than that of the EX1. But I have watched to footage than Kevin and Barry brought back and anybody that comes into our booth at NAB will see it as well, they were working on the long end of a 21X 2/3" lens. So the take away on this is learning how to control the tool you have been given so that you can get the shot you are supposed to get. Filmmakers have been doing this all of their professional lives. There is just one more tool in the tool belt now.

All the best,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

3. Collapse Details
    The amount of skew is directly proportional to the image magnification, because the skew is all determined by relative movement. So the longer you zoom in, the more skew you'll see. I've seen people post examples from the EX1 that say "what skew, what wobble, there's no problem" and of course their footage is shot at full wide angle. Well, yeah, at full wide angle the relative motion of any object on the screen is pretty minimal. But if you zoom in to max telephoto you'll see all sorts of rubbery skew no matter how slightly you move the camera.

The HPX300 at full telephoto will show more skew than the EX1 at full telephoto, because the HPX300's telephoto is significantly more telephoto than the EX1's. The EX1 is a 14:1 zoom, the HPX300 is a 17:1, and the HPX300's using a 1/3" chip which means that even though the focal length difference is about the same (77mm vs. 81mm) the image magnification on the HPX300 is quite a bit more due to the smaller chip size. Which means you get more telephoto reach, but you also get more skew. The two go hand in hand.

Put an EX1 and an HPX300 at the same field of view, and you should see the same skew/wobble on both.

4. Collapse Details
    Finally B&H announced hpx 300 at 8,495.00$

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...MOS_P2_HD.html

5. Collapse Details
    nice price--will want to see at NAB.

Aussies eat your hearts out

Barry where is your footage posted?
    Last edited by MrBill; 02-14-2009 at 05:50 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    very nice though,but don't think will be any lower then this..

7. Collapse Details
    Very nice price... shame its going to cost a bit more outside of the usa due to the exchange rates. I've been quoted 20,000 NZD, which is around 10,500 USD.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lawry View Post
    Very nice price... shame its going to cost a bit more outside of the usa due to the exchange rates. I've been quoted 20,000 NZD, which is around 10,500 USD.
    Youre even worse off than here in AUS. About $13000 just on the exchange on BH's price. Or 15k at the price NZ you were quoted. No doubt thats about where it will sit here as well.
    SDC Productions Gold Coast Aust. http://sdcproductions.com.au
    admin@scarlet-films.com +61 (0) 408 455 374
    http://www.ozcrews.tv/

ECHOES ON THE WAVES - IN EDIT http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...643079268&ap=1

9. Collapse Details
    Wow, $8,495.00!! I was thinking $8,995.00. It is looking a little bit tempting to sell the 170 and go for it. But jeez, I still need a little, small, light camera for a lot of shooting. I really need both. Oh well, maybe if I need a tax write off by December.

Dang, that is a smoking good deal. Richard Andrewski showed me this site so you can get two really long run batteries in AB mount and the charger for around $1,000.00. And these suckers would have a lot longer run time than the AB Dionic 90s, these are 150 WH batteries too http://www.batteries4broadcast.com/combo_order_gm.htm

My DV-6SB doesn't break a sweat with a 14lb (according to Barry) load so perhaps I can swing it by the end of the year. Having shot with the EX1, I agree with Jan and Barry, you do see the skew and it is up to you to use the camera in sitautions where you have control over not having to shoot the skew and other rolling shutter artifact situations. Plus I would still have the 170 in tow to handle situations like Red Carpet premiers with lots of flashes going off, etc.

Hmm...

Dan
    Yeah, just like you, I bought a Canon C100.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    Youre even worse off than here in AUS. About $13000 just on the exchange on BH's price. Or 15k at the price NZ you were quoted. No doubt thats about where it will sit here as well.
    Gotta love it. Not.

its great for the second hand market... i could get ALOT for my original HVX down here as a kit due to the current price of the 202/172 - Which are both currently retailing at just under $10,000 NZD... its insane.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast