1. Collapse Details
    FCP footage on a PC
    I just sent a client some footage on a harddrive. It was NTSC-DV footage captured in FCP. I thought as long as they have the newest version of Quicktime they would be able to view it on their PC, but they say they can't. Is there a codec they can download so raw .mov NTSC files will play on a PC?

2. Collapse Details
    Basic NTSC DV should play on any PC pretty much. They don't even need the latest Quicktime. What happens when they try to play it? Does it error or is it scramble or does it say they need a codec? Were the movies self-contained? If the files they have are extremely small then reference quicktimes may have been made instead of self contained.

Best,
    Andy
    Contact me about being your location sound mixer or videographer in the Austin area
    Audio - PSC M4A+ 4ch mixer, Tascam DR60d, Fostex FR2LE, Sennheiser 416t, Audix SC1xHC, Audio-Technica AT822 Stereo Mic, Rode Blimp
    BM4k - 17-50mm F2.8 Sigma
    GH2, Lumix 14mm, 20mm, 45mm, 14-42mm, Speedbooster
    Nikon Prime Set

3. Collapse Details
    Its files that i captured, using FCP's NTSC-DV set up. The files should be self contained. Of course, they just say its not working, but not giving me any other details. (ugh clients!)

I'm not familiar with reference quicktime, how small are you talking about? A lot of the clips are between 30 seconds and a few minutes.

4. Collapse Details
    Were the files saved in a 422 pro-res format? I have had that issue. See if you can't find what their compression format is.

5. Collapse Details
    Umm, other then in finder where can i find that info? In the viewer window in FCP? HVXOU where you able to work around that? Is that codec available to download to for windows?

6. Collapse Details
    problems solved! stupid client. Told them 10 times to make sure they had the newest version of quicktime and of course thats what it was.

7. Collapse Details
    Sorry couldn't get back to you sooner.

Glad to hear you got it figured out.