Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Non SAG Actor minimum wages?
    does anybody know what the minimum wages per day for speaking roles and non speaking roles on a feature for NON SAG actors?

2. Collapse Details
    Dept of Labor Minimum wage is $6.55 per hour; and $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009

3. Collapse Details
    That's the thing, without a union who would set the baseline? The answer is whatever the production can give that the actor will accept.
    Why do there have to be puppets like Frank?
    My Twitter

4. Collapse Details
    Wilmywood: "Where the Carolina Moon Meets the Hollywood Stars!" ™ (NC baby)
    Mickey

It depends. Non-union does not have a rate but there are some standards in certain areas.

ecking is right..what ever you can pay that an actor will accept is one way to go. Or you can set a rate of say $50 or $100 a day...or you can offer an amount plus a percentage based on something like 1/16th of a point on the back end should you sell the project later.

If you decide to give them a flat rate with no back end deal then make sure they sign off on the project as a 'buy out'. That means they cannot ask for more later and if you do happen to sell it down the line you will need proof of that 'buy out'.

Some indies pay more a day than $100 some pay less..but around there is what I have seen a lot. Most actors will work for that because it would be better than being an extra on a union project where they may get less in a non-union state. If you pay more than the extras get...then a lot of actors will take it because they are all starving these days!

Just some thoughts for ya...and remember...feed them well and they often won't grumble about low pay!
    Last edited by Michele Seidman; 02-12-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: forgot food!
    Sincerely,
    Flora Barren (A Little Mouth to Feed)
    aka Michele Seidman
    imdb / 800Casting / Actors Access / Michele and the Midnight Blues

5. Collapse Details
    thanks guys....hey Michele I got a question for you, let's say you make a film using non sag and you do not specify a buy out, you just have a contract that states the actors will be paid in the event the film is sold. At that point, after you paid them maybe $100 per day rate, would they even be able to come back later and demand more money like you stated above?

let's say the contract does not promise a backend deal, etc....can someone try to get that? that sounds pretty grimey, i know anything is possible, but in that same logic the filmmaker could do some pretty grimey tactics too without any specific terms being specified no?

an actor was telling me yesterday the going rate for a Non Union actor was like $550 per day for speaking and $100 per day for extras....that seemed incredibly off to me.

6. Collapse Details
    in montreal, or at least in canada, Scale is the going rate / minimum wage for a UNION actor.

So when i make Scale on set, as an Actra member, i get 500$ a day (8 hours) anytime over that is overtime. There are also low budget agreements, but the least amount you can ever expect to pay a union actor, on a low budget agreement, is 150$ a day. (canadian)

then there is buyout and royalties, which can be discussed via contract.

So 550 american per day for non union? No way.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2393063/
    Actor
    Musician
    Filmmaker

7. Collapse Details
    yea i almost started laughing

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    8 hour days? How do you shoot anything in that?! I don't think SAG requires overtime until 12 hours, at least when I read the SAG Ultra Low Budget Agreement I signed it didn't seem to say anything specifically about that, except that meal breaks after 6 hours, and of course at least 12 hours before the next shooting day, etc.

But you can pay SAG actors $100/day on union shoots, as long as it's Ultra Low Budget. You can even defer $100/day, so you pay them nothing but deferred money. I chose to pay upfront because a lot of these people I wouldn't get for free, and I might get someone to flake, which would not be worth the savings whatsoever. What's $1,000 or so to make sure I get what I want?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
    8 hour days? How do you shoot anything in that?! I don't think SAG requires overtime until 12 hours, at least when I read the SAG Ultra Low Budget Agreement I signed it didn't seem to say anything specifically about that, except that meal breaks after 6 hours, and of course at least 12 hours before the next shooting day, etc.

But you can pay SAG actors $100/day on union shoots, as long as it's Ultra Low Budget. You can even defer $100/day, so you pay them nothing but deferred money. I chose to pay upfront because a lot of these people I wouldn't get for free, and I might get someone to flake, which would not be worth the savings whatsoever. What's $1,000 or so to make sure I get what I want?
    SAG actors do go into overtime after 8 hours.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    SAG actors do go into overtime after 8 hours.
    Not really, not in any meaningful sense of the word overtime. The minimum pay is $100 for a day on ULB, and you are allowed to shoot for 12 hours. So yeah I guess if you negotiated $100 for an 8-hour day, sure, but nobody ever shoots 8 hour days. Nobody. Not unless it's like the only day you're shooting, or the last day you were shooting. 12 hour days are standard. I've never heard of overtime after 8 hours. I've heard of overtime after 12.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast