Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    any update on the mac join tool?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by booggerg2 View Post
    How is the editing of long form videos done without a joining tool? The clips will be imported as individual 4GB clips and it would be entirely up to the editor to know which clips are to be joined to form a continuous clip?

The clips come out of the HMC sequentially numbered, so that tells you the order in which they were shot, and you can just select them all and drop them on the timeline. The main problem though is the glitches encountered where the clips are joined because the NLE doesn't know how to join them properly. If the joints aren't at critical sections or you can cut to footage from a second camera, you can work around it. Otherwise, they need to be joined correctly beforehand.

Sorry, didn't mean to redirect the thread.....

Any word on the Mac join tool?

3. Collapse Details
    I didn't know PC's had a glitch, so is this really only for a mac?
    I work with a PC and have never ever seen or heard a glitch between clips from 4 seperate computers using tmpgenc, premiere, or edius.

If you combined the files, you still won't get around the fat 32 issue of only allowing 4 gig files,
    so doesn't this put you in a compromised position if you need files to be mac and PC compatible?

I would prefer to have my clips in 1 gig segments, not all in one file.

If you have one file that is 2 hours long and you only need 20 seconds of various parts,
    that will be a B*t(H to edit that simple segment.

....So is this only useful for a MAC?
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left...

4. Collapse Details
    I just followed these instructions and was able to joined 2 spanned clips in Terminal on the Mac.

http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008...-terminal.html

worked great with no glitch between the spanned clips after transcode.

my only issue is to figure out the command to save it in the same folder as the original files.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
    I didn't know PC's had a glitch, so is this really only for a mac?
    I work with a PC and have never ever seen or heard a glitch between clips from 4 seperate computers using tmpgenc, premiere, or edius.

If you combined the files, you still won't get around the fat 32 issue of only allowing 4 gig files,
    so doesn't this put you in a compromised position if you need files to be mac and PC compatible?

I would prefer to have my clips in 1 gig segments, not all in one file.

If you have one file that is 2 hours long and you only need 20 seconds of various parts,
    that will be a B*t(H to edit that simple segment.

....So is this only useful for a MAC?
    No, its a PC problem as well. There was a lengthy thread on it here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=150746

The end of the thread is where this solution began to form. People (myself included) were having problems with long clips because they would not join together seamlessly just by placing them sequentially on the timeline in Vegas (for me) or some other NLE's. Transcoding to DVCPro seemed to work for people, but not all NLE's handle DVCPro. Copying the files together at the command prompt joined the clips together seamlessly, and Pailes graciously automated that process with his program.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    The clips come out of the HMC sequentially numbered, so that tells you the order in which they were shot, and you can just select them all and drop them on the timeline.
    This is actually not 100% correct. The numbering of the files does not necessarily follow the way clips are placed on the final timeline (= playlist). If you delete some clips in the camera which are not at the end of the playlist, the camera will fill the file name gaps and still place the new clips at the end of the playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    Any word on the Mac join tool?
    I started working on it but other things got in the way (as usual). Don't give up hope

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pailes View Post
    This is actually not 100% correct. The numbering of the files does not necessarily follow the way clips are placed on the final timeline (= playlist). If you delete some clips in the camera which are not at the end of the playlist, the camera will fill the file name gaps and still place the new clips at the end of the playlist.
    Yup, I reverted back to MiniDV and forgot that you will sometimes delete clips in camera. One more of the benefits of solid state media.

8. Collapse Details
    where is it
    I can't open the link for the joint tool. anybody can help?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post
    I can't open the link for the joint tool. anybody can help?
    It works for me. The server has been down for a while, but it's now up and running again and it should work ok.

Btw. the Mac-Version is ready too, I'm just waiting for my account data to be able to upload it to the fixed server.

10. Collapse Details
    Still cant open
    Just tried before I post here and page cannot be displayed. when I save the save target it will give an error message that the server is blablabla

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast