Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdert View Post
    Can anyone attest to the fan problem actually being caused from the "square of metal"? I will be upgrading my FS-100 in a week or so and wanted to be sure. We have some of the HD-100's (JVC version) at my work and decided to upgrade one since it had been dropped once or twice! It was a seemless upgrade, however we seem to be having the same fan issue. But there is no "square of metal" attached to the old HD-100 drive?! I'm trying my damdist to get this thing hot enough to engage the fan but no luck so far. I don't seem to remember the fan on my FS-100 going on too often, only during mid-day summer shoots. I wonder what temp the diagnostics have to read in order to start the fan? Anybody?
    that piece of metal may be inside the harddrive itself. I'm not sure whether I tried the peice of metal with the old fan or the new fan, but I remember putting it on and finding out that I didn't actually need the new fan....switched it out anyways becuase I wanted to replace all the moving parts in mine...
    Monday Sunnlinn

President
    7th Level Non-Linear Inc.
    Zero Point Studios

www.7thlevelnonlinear.com
    my graphic art gallery

2D/3D FX/Animations/Compositing
    Digital Cinematography
    Digital Photography
    Audio Sweetening/ Film Scoring
    VO Recording
    Graphic Design
    Production Consultant

2. Collapse Details
    Originally Posted by jdert View Post
    Can anyone attest to the fan problem actually being caused from the "square of metal"? I will be upgrading my FS-100 in a week or so and wanted to be sure. We have some of the HD-100's (JVC version) at my work and decided to upgrade one since it had been dropped once or twice! It was a seemless upgrade, however we seem to be having the same fan issue. But there is no "square of metal" attached to the old HD-100 drive?! I'm trying my damdist to get this thing hot enough to engage the fan but no luck so far. I don't seem to remember the fan on my FS-100 going on too often, only during mid-day summer shoots. I wonder what temp the diagnostics have to read in order to start the fan? Anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by monday1313 View Post
    that piece of metal may be inside the harddrive itself. I'm not sure whether I tried the peice of metal with the old fan or the new fan, but I remember putting it on and finding out that I didn't actually need the new fan....switched it out anyways becuase I wanted to replace all the moving parts in mine...
    I have a FS100 with IDE too. I placed the metal shield and another piece of clear tape on the drive. The FAN turns on when I turn on the FS100, but then when the screen lightens up the FAN stops.

I opened the FS100, and left it open with all connections on, meaning the HDD is not close to the FAN, basically unable to stop it from running because of the magnetic field of the HDD.. same thing happened, the FAN turns on and once the screen turns blue then the FAN stops.

So I'm assuming there's a temperature sensor inside the FS100 that controls the temperature and only turns on the fan as needed.

Has anyone gotten the same experience?

Just want to make sure the HDD is not going to die on me while shooting.

Thx
    Madnomad Films

DUST & ILLUSIONS. A documentary film exploring 30 years of Burning Man history. Free to watch NOW! (2012)
    Shot with the DVX100A. Watch it now at www.dustandillusions.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by obonin View Post
    I have a FS100 with IDE too. I placed the metal shield and another piece of clear tape on the drive. The FAN turns on when I turn on the FS100, but then when the screen lightens up the FAN stops.

I opened the FS100, and left it open with all connections on, meaning the HDD is not close to the FAN, basically unable to stop it from running because of the magnetic field of the HDD.. same thing happened, the FAN turns on and once the screen turns blue then the FAN stops.

So I'm assuming there's a temperature sensor inside the FS100 that controls the temperature and only turns on the fan as needed.

Has anyone gotten the same experience?

Just want to make sure the HDD is not going to die on me while shooting.

Thx
    I had trouble with my fan getting very loud and staying on. It does have a sensor and only comes on when needed. I sent it in under warranty they fixed it, bad sensor. If you have put in a better Drive it might not need the fan as much, and you might get more time from the battery. I'm hoping to use the kit from HDrevolutionstore.com and then use a SSD. After the warranty is done.
    Last edited by randy09660; 05-12-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: mispelled

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crobs808 View Post
    Ok, I did this a while ago, using the Westerndigital 250GB, since that is the only 250gb IDE drive I could find.

Now, everything works fine, says I have 270+ minutes befcause I formatted it fat32 single partition before putting it in, so all is well except I did not put the tape on the drive like the old one had.

The old drive has yellow/orange tape on it, and also a metal plate on the underside of it. I did not put the tape on, nor did I move the metal plate to the new drive. Did I need to do that?

p.s. - as soon as the solid state drives go down, I am putting one of those in. you can get a very short/small cable that converts from sata to ide, so it will fit inside, and be identical to the P2 cards, all solid, no worries about moving platters! right now the 256gb SSD drives are $600, but I am sure they will be half or less than that by the end of the year I will never need P2 cards, yay!!
    where can I get this cable? Have you seen what they got at HDrevolutionstore.com? I like it but not the price.

5. Collapse Details
    @obonin

yep, fan only comes on when needed. and runs at start-up.most likely to make sure it works...
    Monday Sunnlinn

President
    7th Level Non-Linear Inc.
    Zero Point Studios

www.7thlevelnonlinear.com
    my graphic art gallery

2D/3D FX/Animations/Compositing
    Digital Cinematography
    Digital Photography
    Audio Sweetening/ Film Scoring
    VO Recording
    Graphic Design
    Production Consultant

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by monday1313 View Post
    @obonin

yep, fan only comes on when needed. and runs at start-up.most likely to make sure it works...
    Thanks Guys for the reply. Indeed did a crazy 18 hours of SD recording with my DVX100A and the fan goes on and off regularly. But the drive doesn't seem to heat up too much.

Each drive was left with about 1.25GB of free space. On the second drive, the last file is 146MB and is unreadable. The one before last doesn't have a problem.

That's it. Everything looks good.

For those who are wondering about the tape and the metal shield, I wouldn't ignore them. Focus Enh. put them there for a good reason, after lots of testing I'm guessing. The reasons for the piece of tape that I can think of are:
    - Heat protection, those tapes are orange, and might provide some heat shielding to the components on the board. The components won't melt, but they might behave in a different way that the temperature they're speced for, and therefore cause your recording to fail... But that's a guess
    - Prevent from touching components. Although there's already a label stuck on the HDD which would prevent short-circuiting components, it might be an additional protection that is so easy to have with another piece of tape.

Ok done with this testing. Will do some testing with the HPX170 soon.
    Madnomad Films

DUST & ILLUSIONS. A documentary film exploring 30 years of Burning Man history. Free to watch NOW! (2012)
    Shot with the DVX100A. Watch it now at www.dustandillusions.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crobs808 View Post
    Ok, I did this a while ago, using the Westerndigital 250GB, since that is the only 250gb IDE drive I could find.

Now, everything works fine, says I have 270+ minutes befcause I formatted it fat32 single partition before putting it in, so all is well except I did not put the tape on the drive like the old one had.

The old drive has yellow/orange tape on it, and also a metal plate on the underside of it. I did not put the tape on, nor did I move the metal plate to the new drive. Did I need to do that?

p.s. - as soon as the solid state drives go down, I am putting one of those in. you can get a very short/small cable that converts from sata to ide, so it will fit inside, and be identical to the P2 cards, all solid, no worries about moving platters! right now the 256gb SSD drives are $600, but I am sure they will be half or less than that by the end of the year I will never need P2 cards, yay!!
    Where can I get this cable you speak of, to convert from IDE to SATA?

8. Collapse Details
    best buy sells a WD2500BEVERTL model. Will any WD Scorpio IDE drive work?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic View Post
    i would stick the metal plate to ne new drive, if i were you. so you won´t need a new fan.
    +1. Magnet on fan and HD cancel each other out! I could not mount my drive and fan would twitch without metal plate. After install, smooth as butter! Best hack on these forums by far! I just increased my record time 150%. WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dpavid View Post
    best buy sells a WD2500BEVERTL model. Will any WD Scorpio IDE drive work?
    bought one to try and it worked.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast