Audio Sweetening/ Film Scoring
    VO Recording
    Graphic Design
    Production Consultant

2. Collapse Details
    before or after the fan repair?
    ---- HVX200E and FS-100 IDE with 250GB (WD Scorpio IDE HDD) ----

3. Collapse Details
    i tried the double partitiion (2 partitions of ~115 gb) after switching out the fans. it worked fine and is still working fine so far.
    Monday Sunnlinn

President
    7th Level Non-Linear Inc.
    Zero Point Studios

www.7thlevelnonlinear.com
    my graphic art gallery

2D/3D FX/Animations/Compositing
    Digital Cinematography
    Digital Photography
    Audio Sweetening/ Film Scoring
    VO Recording
    Graphic Design
    Production Consultant

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Might be easier to sell this one and buy another used PAL.
    recently i read: the german focus headquarter makes a ntsc/pal change for the fs-100 for 250 euros.
    Last edited by Frantic; 04-21-2009 at 07:22 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    What is the model number of the fan available from digikey.com?

I changed my FSC from a 60gig to a 120gig about 20 hours of usage ago. I haven't had any problems with the fan.....yet!

Added (got a little paranoid)
    My fan is a Sunon Maglev GM0502PEV3-8 DC 5V .25W
    Last edited by GuyS; 03-02-2009 at 05:53 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    i would stick the metal plate to ne new drive, if i were you. so you won´t need a new fan.

7. Collapse Details
    Did the upgrade over the weekend... from 90 to 278 minutes!! I love it, No problems

I cant thank you enough for helping us save money and increase our bottom line.

Ron Nava

8. Collapse Details
    Ok, I did this a while ago, using the Westerndigital 250GB, since that is the only 250gb IDE drive I could find.

Now, everything works fine, says I have 270+ minutes befcause I formatted it fat32 single partition before putting it in, so all is well except I did not put the tape on the drive like the old one had.

The old drive has yellow/orange tape on it, and also a metal plate on the underside of it. I did not put the tape on, nor did I move the metal plate to the new drive. Did I need to do that?

p.s. - as soon as the solid state drives go down, I am putting one of those in. you can get a very short/small cable that converts from sata to ide, so it will fit inside, and be identical to the P2 cards, all solid, no worries about moving platters! right now the 256gb SSD drives are $600, but I am sure they will be half or less than that by the end of the year I will never need P2 cards, yay!!

9. Collapse Details
    Actually, you guys could upgrade to 320GB using this drive...
    http://www.streetprices.com/Products...P33937844.html

This is the largest IDE 2.5" drive available. anything above 320GB is going to be SATA, which is not the interface used by the FS-100.

I upgraded my FS-100 with the 250GB WesternDigital 2.5" drive about 6 months ago, and all works fine. It actually runs cooler than the Hitachi drive, so the fan does not have to work too hard, and I am using a single FAT32 partition.

In order to make the drive just have one large FAT32 partition, you have to download a program called Fat32Format. It is freeware, but it is the only tool that can format large drives as FAT32

Here is the link for it:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...32format.shtml

Command line Usage: "format e:"

If your drive does not have a letter (meaning it is just free space/blank) then right-click on MyComputer and select "Manage", then click on Disk Management. you should see your drive in the right side, just with no letter or partition associated to it. You can right click on the free space and make a new partition. Just make it NTFS (quick format) for the max size of the drive. This will at least give it a drive letter so that you can now run Fat32Format from the command line to convert it to FAT32

Good luck.

10. Collapse Details
    NOTE: When you take your 100GB or 160GB drive out of your FS-100, make sure you keep it in a safe place. I recommend against using it or putting it into an external enclosure and using it for something else, because if you ever need to send in the Firestore to Focus Enhancements, you will have to send it in with the original drive in place or they will know that you modified it and thus voided the warranty.

You see, there is no sticker or seal that gets broken when you do this upgrade modification, so as long as you hang on to the original hard drive and dont use it for something else, then you can always put it back in if you ever need to ship it in.

-crobs808

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast