Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNoob View Post
    40G to 80G, pizzapie. 5400 rpm IDE drive. Laptop common, cheap too.
    maybe someone is selling his old FS-100 100GB drive to you!? we donīt need it anymore, we have now 250 gig.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoob View Post
    ALSO, found some stuff on increasing batt performance; mods and hacks.
    So, you can really get power performance equal to the time quotient of the drives.

Pretty cool.
    Can pass along links if any of y'all are interested.
    donīt ask, show us your links!
    Last edited by Frantic; 02-20-2009 at 08:45 AM.
    ---- HVX200E and FS-100 IDE with 250GB (WD Scorpio IDE HDD) ----

2. Collapse Details
    by the way: i use canopus edius 5 for importing and editing my p2-material. with the new 250gb partition i had some clips greyed out on the timeline (grey clips=sequences) first. after i reimported the clips to a new location on my pc all clips went coloured again. could be because i edited while importing the clips from the firestore...

please check in your editing application if thereīs a new behaviour of the p2-files. maybe this happens only if the files are bigger than 2GB!? donīt know, just guessing.

someone could try to use the format command of the firestore to partion/format into two 125Gb partitions and check out, what happens, if the first partion is full (seamless switching to the second partition?).

i ask this because i canīt imagine how the original 250GB fs-100īs are working with the big harddisks. maybe we simply donīt need to format a single 250GB partition? for myself i wanted only one single 250gb partition because i like to see the complete remaining time while shooting.
    Last edited by Frantic; 02-19-2009 at 04:05 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    once i get my fan swapped out. I'll give it a shot unless someone beats me to it...

probably monday or tuesday...
    Monday Sunnlinn

President
    7th Level Non-Linear Inc.
    Zero Point Studios

www.7thlevelnonlinear.com
    my graphic art gallery

2D/3D FX/Animations/Compositing
    Digital Cinematography
    Digital Photography
    Audio Sweetening/ Film Scoring
    VO Recording
    Graphic Design
    Production Consultant

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic View Post

i ask this because i canīt imagine how the original 250GB fs-100īs are working with the big harddisks. maybe we simply donīt need to format a single 250GB partition? for myself i wanted only one single 250gb partition because i like to see the complete remaining time while shooting.
    Do you think there would be performance issues with a single 250GB partition? I am not so concerned with seamless transition as I am with performance of the drive. I would be willing to partition multiples if it assures me of glitch free recording.

5. Collapse Details
    no, iīm not concerned about performance issues. i am just curious why the BIOS is asking me to make two partitions although it would be compatible with the 250Gb partition.
    i think the bigger the cluster size is, the better the write performance. video files are normally very big. so my way should be the one with better performance.

anybody with original 250GB fs-100 here?
    if you know someone who owns such a original 250GB fs-100, ask him how it is partitioned and how it works, if there are two partitions!
    Last edited by Frantic; 02-20-2009 at 08:48 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Okay, my fan arrived early, so here's the results of my torture tests.

The time it locked up before my noticing of the fan failure and the first test after the fix were done with these settings:

camera in 720p at 24fps with the scene file frame rate set to 60fps. The firestore was set to VFR mode with a base framerate of 24fps. It was partitioned with a single ~230gb partition using OSX10.5.6's disk utility (fat 32 of course). I figured this was the highest possible data throughput available. temperature in the room at the height of the firestore was around 73 degrees. (I know this because I have a thermometer in here because I render 3D with numerous computers pretty much 24/7)

Both times it failed after about 2.5 hours of footage. (that's by timecode, not time spent recording) both times it locked up the clips were recoverable but with the in in/out timecodes not always correct in FCP's ingest window. The footage was still useable though and timecode runs when I played the clips. The clips were all about 5.5 minutes long and listed as incomplete.
    I did not try fix clip, i just organized p2 after a reboot.

I checked the temperature of the firestore after rebooting and it was under 50 deg C.

So then I formatted the disk using the firestore menu. I got 2 partitions as expected. I then switched to 1080 24pa and recorded straight through, when the first one filled up it switched over to the next one and the display reset to reflect this. I let the seond disk fill up completely at which time the firestore stopped recording.

FCP recognized both partitions and there were 2 spanned clips, one for each partition. I forgot to check if there were any dropped frames between the two spanned clips.

If someone would like to try the single partition method with the same settings I used and post their findings that would be awesome.
    Monday Sunnlinn

President
    7th Level Non-Linear Inc.
    Zero Point Studios

www.7thlevelnonlinear.com
    my graphic art gallery

2D/3D FX/Animations/Compositing
    Digital Cinematography
    Digital Photography
    Audio Sweetening/ Film Scoring
    VO Recording
    Graphic Design
    Production Consultant

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by monday1313 View Post
    The time it locked up before my noticing of the fan failure and the first test after the fix were done with these settings:

Both times it failed after about 2.5 hours of footage. (that's by timecode, not time spent recording) both times it locked up the clips were recoverable but with the in in/out timecodes not always correct in FCP's ingest window. The footage was still useable though and timecode runs when I played the clips. The clips were all about 5.5 minutes long and listed as incomplete.
    I did not try fix clip, i just organized p2 after a reboot.
    my english is not the best, sorry. do you say that the upgraded 250gig firestore crashed after 2.5 hours? with the new fan installed? in both ways, with one 250GB partition and/or with two partitions?

8. Collapse Details
    Frantic, you seem on top of this so I want to ask you.

You are in Germany, so I assume you have a PAL(50hz) records 50p/25p FS?

I have a PAL and NTSC version. The PAL version is dead, not too worried though - bought it very very very cheap second hand as it was a bit beaten up and not cared for. (I mean really cheap).

So to the NTSC version, now this is basically software and a HDD - it doesnt care if its recording 50 or 60Htz.

Think its possible to flash the bios of the NTSC version with PAL software? Only talking about software after all, sheesh shouldnt be so hard right?

Cheers for any insight.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

ECHOES DOCUMENTARY - PURCHASE ON VIMEO ON DEMAND - ALL FUNDS GO TO THE CITY OF RIKUZENTAKAKA TO HELP CONTINUE THE REBUILD. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/echoesdocumentary

9. Collapse Details
    right, i own the pal version. as i heard, the ntsc has different hardware so flashing BIOS is not enough. here on dvxuser theres a thread of a german guy who bought 2 ntsc fs-100 and is currently in contact with focus to make pal versions out of them.

10. Collapse Details
    Thank you for the reply. Might be easier to sell this one and buy another used PAL.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

ECHOES DOCUMENTARY - PURCHASE ON VIMEO ON DEMAND - ALL FUNDS GO TO THE CITY OF RIKUZENTAKAKA TO HELP CONTINUE THE REBUILD. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/echoesdocumentary

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast