Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
  1. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketboy View Post
    This is what I like to hear.

Balance your budget to get the sound guy. If you can get a pro for free you are ahead of the game. If you have to pay for someone, then do it. These films will be your calling card into bigger gigs. I can't wait to see what is up your sleeve.
    Balance my whowatiznow? I have to GET a budget first.
    Both of my shorts were done for almost ZERO except for buying food. Any props were purchased from stores with liberal return policies.

I'll definitely pay for someone if I have to though. Right now trying to find someone who I can work out some kind of trade with and hopefully has a job. I do video work pretty much full time, but mostly music videos. My gaffer I can always get on to a music video so that usually evens out for the short films... however don;t quite need sound on music videos... so i gotta figure it out.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puckthemad View Post
    Both of my shorts were done for almost ZERO except for buying food. Any props were purchased from stores with liberal return policies.
    Food is always an item you must budget for. I, pride myself on going without food for almost 12 hours. I can't think of eating when I'm working. Everybody has to eat and they appreciate it when you make sure they do.

I've taken advantage of the liberal return policy you are talking about. I doubt no one hasn't in this group.

I like your zero budget policy as well, but its tougher for me to bring the productions to CT. I operate out of a small town, and have to cart everything in, to get a film completed. I may make my next film in the belly of Manhattan. I know a lot of people there, and they are extremely talented.

I'm sure you will work out something. There is a sound expert in every town and city, even in my neck of the woods. Everyone else I had to cart in.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocketboy View Post
    Food is always an item you must budget for. I, pride myself on going without food for almost 12 hours. I can't think of eating when I'm working. Everybody has to eat and they appreciate it when you make sure they do.

I've taken advantage of the liberal return policy you are talking about. I doubt no one hasn't in this group.

I like your zero budget policy as well, but its tougher for me to bring the productions to CT. I operate out of a small town, and have to cart everything in, to get a film completed. I may make my next film in the belly of Manhattan. I know a lot of people there, and they are extremely talented.

I'm sure you will work out something. There is a sound expert in every town and city, even in my neck of the woods. Everyone else I had to cart in.
    Damn dude: i feel your pain. guess it's easier for me to set up and go. I have camera, lights... I can go out and shoot something tomorrow if I'm so inclined. All i need is a story and some actors... and a clue. I guess I kinda take that for granted.

no wonder your budget shot right up. ow

4. Collapse Details
    maybe i'm just proud of surprising the hell out of guys who have the $10K budgets and assume my stuff is going to look like s*%t because I don;t have a real budget...

5. Collapse Details
    You are a serious talent, I wasn't as sold on the ADR this time, but it didn't seem as off either. You have a great eye for shots and ear for dialogue, and you're brilliant at choosing your actors. Keep it up man, I'm becoming more and more of a fan.

6. Collapse Details
    Very nice touching film. It is very possitive impressiv to see that you are able to cover so different genre. I like especially the acting of both main character. Compliments

Susanne

7. Collapse Details
    Damian Sanchez, the composer hs introduced me to his cousin Manuel Kev, who happens to be a post production sound mixer. He's going to be working on the final mixdown of Keeper of the Lost.. the version that we're sending out to the festivals. He knows what he's doing so this mix is going to sound like gold.

I'll give updates once we get the final mix it.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829