Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Buying camera and audio equipment (approx. $5,000)
    I want to buy a DV or and HD camera and I want to buy a pair of lavaliere mics and any accessories that I might need. I have approx $5,000.

2. Collapse Details
    Go with the canon a1. Bh has it for 3000. Then get some camera acc. and then your mics. The other choices will be the hvx 200a for $4600. Hpx 170 $5000.

So maybe a canon a1, decent tripod (bogen, libec), lav mics and possibly a condenser mic.

should come out with a nice little package there.
    5d mark ii, 503 w/ 351 sticks, Nikon 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8, Mac Pro Nehalem 2.26 8-core, halo rig mini

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by catchintime View Post
    I want to buy a DV or and HD camera and I want to buy a pair of lavaliere mics and any accessories that I might need. I have approx $5,000.
    To do what with? Can't get a decent answer without that. I didn't see any mention of lights. Is all your shooiting outoors in the sun? No grip equipment either.

Are you shooting for the web? Broadcast? Just for giggles? Is this your first video camera?

Lot's of stuff we need to know to really help you.
    Don't be a BillyBob...

4. Collapse Details
    I don't need lights because my script takes place mostly outdoors. Naturally, I would be sending the movie to film festivals. I'm not really interested in putting on the web. I have a condenser microphone already. I have a portable disc recorder.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by catchintime View Post
    I don't need lights because my script takes place mostly outdoors...

...Naturally, I would be sending the movie to film festivals.
    Write this down and tape it to your refrigerator door. Revisit that in a year's time.

You're going to need lights. Or at least grip if you're going to be doing ANYTHING you might submit to a festival. You're going to need sound too, but you don't know it yet. It's ok, most people start in exactly the same place.

I am of two minds as to what to recommend. I could recommend you get a HMC-150/JVC GY-HM100, or something similar. By the time you get a tripod and a couple filters, you'll be at your budget. And you'd have a really nice camera you could grow into. But then you'd realize how much you really do need lights, grip, and sound, and have nothing left to handle those needs with.

Or I could recommend a consumer based camera like the HV20, which would leave room in your budget for the things you'll need, but don't yet realize you'll need.

Hang around here a while and learn. By some good magazines on filmmaking (I recommend ASC and Videography), look around the web at how other shooters who are submitting to indie film festivals go about their work. There's some really good stuff out there if you're willing to learn.
    Don't be a BillyBob...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nantnee View Post
    The other choices will be the hvx 200a for $4600. Hpx 170 $5000.
    there are SO MANY other choices than those two...

7. Collapse Details
    I understand lights are important but in this particular script most scenes need to be shot in the day and inside. 99% of the shots will be outside in the day. I only have $5,000 and I have to make sacrifices. I want good sound and I want to get the best camera that I can.

I put it simply... what camera? What lavalieres? and what I will need to record sound from lavalieres onto my camera.

If I find myself in a situation where I need to buy lights I'll go to home deput and buy lights for 27.99.

8. Collapse Details
    Ok,

Considering we know nothing about your script, or the look you want, I'd say a Panny HMC150, Sennheiser G2 Lav with Countryman B3/B6 mic or Sanken Cos11 mic.
    Don't be a BillyBob...

9. Collapse Details
    I appreciate the help. I'll check those out.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by green thumb View Post
    there are SO MANY other choices than those two...

i listed the ones i would actually buy.
    But yes, you are correct.
    5d mark ii, 503 w/ 351 sticks, Nikon 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8, Mac Pro Nehalem 2.26 8-core, halo rig mini

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast