Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Now I'm getting confused.
    Whenever I made a DVD, I always thought that everything went to 60i and when you made a 24p DVD it was simply 60i with a 2:3 pull down.

I just checked the output settings from vegas for the Main Concept Mpeg2 DVD Architect 24p preset and sure enough it comes up with [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Julie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]Frame rate: 23.976 +2-3 pulldown.

Then I went to DVD architecht with a 24p(native, no pulldown) Mpeg2 DVD ready file, I exported this file out of Vegas with the DVD architect 24p preset, but I changed the frame rate to native 23.976, I checked the project properties in Architect and sure enough it only allowed me to have the project at 29.97, but under the optimize button it does allow me to change the frame rate to 23.976, it doesn't matter if you change anything under optimize or not, it still says that the video will be recompressed.

So then I exported the same clip out using the DVD architect preset for 24p (no changes), took that file into Architect, project properties are still locked in at 29.97, when you go to burn the DVD it requires no recompression, but you can select optimize and under Video 1 you can select a frame rate of 23.976, but once again you have to recompress.

What does all this mean? I don't know, but I do know that when I use the preset for DVD architect in Vegas, my DVDs look great and burn quick with no recompression.

2. Collapse Details
    The "+2-3 pulldown" in the template means it's including pulldown FLAGS in the data stream. It's a set of instructions to tell the DVD player how to insert pulldown when it plays to a TV which needs it (any interlaced TV).

But if you look at the video properties, its still a 23.976 file. After you make the DVD, you can pull the .vob file off the DVD, and it will still be 23.976.

DVD Architect needs to see those instructions in the file, or it will recompress, because the DVD format needs them.

The "project properties" don't mean the disc frame rate is 29.97; it simply means it's the NTSC DVD standard and not a PAL (25.000) DVD.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

3. Collapse Details
    That makes sense, I guess I had it backwards with 24p on DVDs I always thought it was similar to how DV cameras recorded 24p. Good info, thanks Dave.

4. Collapse Details
    Hallo Guys,
    sorry for opening back this interesting discussion but After i rendered from the master file 1080 24p in dvd architect pal widescreen customising in 23,976 frame rate; what kind of settings should i set in DvdArch to have a project for a pal DVD widescreen to be played on a DVD reader?
    many many Thx! I can't figure it out why on the DVD the images are so unnatural

5. Collapse Details
    23.976 isn't a PAL-supported frame rate. DVD Architect creates PAL DVDs in 50i only, so even 25p is in a 50i stream.

Most PAL players will play 24p DVDs, but you can't make a 24p DVD with PAL settings. You have to be in an NTSC-base DVD project.

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

6. Collapse Details
    Hallo Jim, what you Would suggest me to have the best results on DVD from the shots of my D5100? I set in Vegas project:
    template pal widescreen 720x576 25fps
    field older -llower
    frame rate 25,000 Pal
    deinterlace None
    full resolution render: good
    then i rendered with these settings:

mpg2
    template DVD architect Pal widescreen

in this way dvdarch didn't have to recompress, did i do right?
    many Thanks for helping me out on sunday! Really appreciate

7. Collapse Details
    You can try a small portion and see if it works to your satisfaction, but converting 24p to 25p or 50i can be problematic. I don't know if it would be better than making a 24p DVD (NTSC) or not.

That's why 24 fps is usually sped up 4% so that the frames line up 1-for-1 with the 25 fps timeline. It also speeds up the audio, but depending on your needs, it can be better than trying to convert at actual speed.

Generally, if you're intending PAL display, shoot 25p and not 24p.

8. Collapse Details
    Dave Thx a lot for taking time for me!
    i ll try the DVD in ntsc!
    I have to tell you that i tested my plasma panasonic with my Wdtvhd box. Converting in hdv 1080 24p the images on the tv look glitchy....
    How come? Is there a better option to preview with my WdTv?

thx a lot

Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    You can try a small portion and see if it works to your satisfaction, but converting 24p to 25p or 50i can be problematic. I don't know if it would be better than making a 24p DVD (NTSC) or not.

That's why 24 fps is usually sped up 4% so that the frames line up 1-for-1 with the 25 fps timeline. It also speeds up the audio, but depending on your needs, it can be better than trying to convert at actual speed.

Generally, if you're intending PAL display, shoot 25p and not 24p.

9. Collapse Details
    Still tHank you Dave
    Last edited by Steve Arenam; 10-22-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: L

10. Collapse Details
    I really don't know anything about WDTV.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast