Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My script was the best!
    Yep thats right you gimps - i rule... i rule MANKIND!

No seriously, i thought it might be a little fun to say a bit about our favourite scripts our hehe 'best scripts' as it were (hence title - see how ironic it was - how it all works *ahem*) so we can discuss and compare in an upbeat - constructive and fun way - no nasty stuff!

It goes without saying that I enjoyed all the scripts - but i think for me one of the big standouts was 'Another Man's Dame.' For me it was probably because it managed to fuse a challenging futuristic concept with a noir perspective (that i personally find appealing) so succesfully - with some tongue firmly in cheek. It was a script that worked on several creative levels.

Don't Say I Didn't Warn You was also a favourite of mine, firm noir detective work going on there - a liked the charm of the Mersey Mabel, the dark comic twists of ten tumbles.

There were NO scripts that were totally appalling in my book, and i think its to our group achievment that we all managed to produce scripts with such great individual merit.

I think its okay for us to talk about our fav scripts - and to discuss (we're all mature postiive guys eh!)

There were a few that would be great fun to produce too, Trigger Finger is up there with its great action sequences and adult comic/gangster vibe. Glass Leopard had a lead i was convinced was a cynical looking Harrison Ford! I could quite honestly see him there strapped to the chair!

DarkElastic had a character named after a french cheese (which will be a requirement in the next scriptfest you wait and see!)

Candy had an ending that would require an ennio morricone score - yep! Those are my positive musings (I'll muse about the other scripts too in painfully cringe inducing subsequent posts!) What about you guys - general thoughts and comparisons!
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

2. Collapse Details
    It is tough to pick only a few favorites. I really can't say that there were any that were bad. Some had a few minor flaws that are going to be easily fixed in rewrites. Of course there were some that were a case of just too much story trying to be crammed into ten pages. However, even the overly ambitious ones I thought worked and told a full story. I admit that I am guilty of both counts with my entry.

I am going to single out a few that I would like to see produced purely on the basis of their visual merits. After all, film is a visual medium.

Wooden Kimono
    Callaghan had such a detailed vision worked out as to the editing and camera blocking that he needs to produce and direct this thing ASAP.

trigger finger
    I could totally see John Woo, Luc Besson, or the Wachowski bros. getting excited about directing this. It would also make a cool comic book too.

ABOARD THE MERSEY MABLE
    Shipping is interesting and not something you see done much in film. And who doesn't want to see Natasha doing her sexy dance in the wheelhouse?

X-Elixir
    For a first script this is really great. Who doesn't want to see a one-liner spewin' American GI with a name like Buck shred some Nazi zombies?

Furious Factions Strong Reactions
    This one was very complicated for ten pages, but Ghalied made it work. Lots of characters and I just need to see Walter, the leader of the Congolese mafia standing out the top of his cars sunroof with his Uzzi ready for action like some conquering general ready for war.

LOVECRAFT
    This one is a great blending of film noir with supernatural horror. The SPECIAL POV scene that allows Lovecraft to see the true identity of Mr. Green is worth the price of admission alone.

FUN PALACE
    A demented tale set in an abandoned amusement park / Chuck E Cheese-style joint. That is all I need to know.

Red Rope
    It had a dark and foreboding atmosphere that was chilling but realistic as well. The opening dream was very vivid and nostalgic feeling, and counter-pointed the ending nicely.

Ten Tumbles and a BOOM
    This one was very original in its interpretation of what noir is. That ending needs to be put on film or HD for us all to see. Below is a simple re-inactment.

Not to say that the ones not mentioned wouldn't be visually stimulating. They would be. These above were ones that just popped into my head. Not any type of definitive list at all.

And you are completely wrong lawriejaffa, but The Man From Tomorrow was obviously the best entry.
    Last edited by Nektonic; 12-22-2008 at 11:03 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Yep thats right you gimps - i rule... i rule MANKIND!

No seriously, i thought it might be a little fun to say a bit about our favourite scripts our hehe 'best scripts' as it were (hence title - see how ironic it was - how it all works *ahem*) so we can discuss and compare in an upbeat - constructive and fun way - no nasty stuff!

It goes without saying that I enjoyed all the scripts - but i think for me one of the big standouts was 'Another Man's Dame.' For me it was probably because it managed to fuse a challenging futuristic concept with a noir perspective (that i personally find appealing) so succesfully - with some tongue firmly in cheek. It was a script that worked on several creative levels.

Don't Say I Didn't Warn You was also a favourite of mine, firm noir detective work going on there - a liked the charm of the Mersey Mabel, the dark comic twists of ten tumbles.

There were NO scripts that were totally appalling in my book, and i think its to our group achievment that we all managed to produce scripts with such great individual merit.

I think its okay for us to talk about our fav scripts - and to discuss (we're all mature postiive guys eh!)

There were a few that would be great fun to produce too, Trigger Finger is up there with its great action sequences and adult comic/gangster vibe. Glass Leopard had a lead i was convinced was a cynical looking Harrison Ford! I could quite honestly see him there strapped to the chair!

DarkElastic had a character named after a french cheese (which will be a requirement in the next scriptfest you wait and see!)

Candy had an ending that would require an ennio morricone score - yep! Those are my positive musings (I'll muse about the other scripts too in painfully cringe inducing subsequent posts!) What about you guys - general thoughts and comparisons!

Look if you are just going to name every screenplay no one will feel special. Oh, wait you didn't name my screenplay. Damnit! You Fool! You must not understand my genius!!!

4. Collapse Details
    LOVECRAFT
    Ah Lovecraft! Yeah well i mean a lot of folk really loved Lovecraft - Yep now that definately ranks among the better almost sin/city biblical comic book type confrontation!

Interesting H P Lovecraft is an incredible author and of course you reference the name more as a style/theme than anything particular to his mythos fictional world (albeit the insect like villain does hint at the more cosmic/alien nature of his occult horror.)

I liked it - that was one of the scripts i was reading when i was way too high on coffee - with eyeballs burning like fire (in other words one i could not appreciate right away.)

Scanning over it again it is rich in delicious dark texture. If i were you i'd tap into more Lovecraftian influences (rather than the tried and true biblical good vs evil.) As that is sooooo yankee doodle dandy that its a little contrived (yours isn't!!) But i think developing along the line of your insect baddy (and the idea that heaven ain't exactly heavenly) is definately going along the rick track (in my 'personal' taste based opinion!)

So are you going to produce that bad boy?

Now Scarred Cross too explored a similarly Christian based definition of good and evil too, (within a small selection of scripts entered into this comp) so its important to expand that theme i think? What do you think?

Oh and heck how could i forget 'The Man from Tomorrow' - I was reading that while a friend of mine was er getting a little too excited i think watching Basic Instinct - I turned in fact just in time to see the famous Michael Douglas ass in the moonbeam shot (the one where he clenches his buttocks while walking in slow motion.) Suffice to say this crude insertion of a somewhat surreal and perhaps even disturbing image knocked my concentration off. Which was terrible given that this particular script (like any with interesting plots and twists) then required a second reading. I certainly had a Blade Runner style world playing in my head - or at least a cool techno-punk concept. That script could be produced into something very stylish - in fact, if there was ever a script in the competition that would benefit from a trendy French director it would be that. Now of course other folk will have totally different visual takes based on the same script!

Wooden Kimono
    I'll borrow this font lol since you went to such effort hehe! Wooden Kimono IS a good script and it got its fair share of raves - but this was one of those scripts where its not the quality but the type that challenges ones taste. I like twists but anything that feels too radical (ie anything that makes me think i 'concieved' the world in vain) ranks me a little! I gave this a good rating and heck any fair critic has to bare in mind the difference between good writing and personal taste! It certainly hooked me in - and i was reading/enjoying as i went.

Then the ending!!! I blame Jodie Foster actually, its her fault - that and the movie Contact. I remember sitting through it somewhat sceptically - and then FINALLY we get to see the alien world, and its just a podgy middle aged git going 'yep... this is the first step...' RUBBISH! And did it just end? DID IT? Nooo... IT went on for 40mins or something, where every character then decided to examine why the film didnt have its cool ending (why the magic alien travelling machine didnt work) - elongating the audiences sense of bitter dissapointment.

Now Wooden Kimono wasn't like that - its ending was more like a guy who with some concentrating towel smacks you in the er... 'testimonials' Some may like a bit of literal S&M but not me! Of course fortunately myyyy script provided an ending that everyone enjoys... kids, teachers, scout leaders etc (well actually...)

//

Just noticed its down to a rating of 3!!! My goodness, so somebody has ALREADY rated the thread a 1!!! Give us a chance lol
    Last edited by lawriejaffa; 12-22-2008 at 02:38 PM.
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lawriejaffa View Post
    Don't Say I Didn't Warn You was also a favourite of mine, firm noir detective work going on there
    Cheers!

I think my top five were X-Elixer, Lovecraft and The Man From Tomorrow, Solstice, Candy and Valor. I know that's 6, but I liked them all so much I couldn't really pick one to omiss.

That's not to say of course that the others weren't good - there was not a single script that I thought was even remotely bad - it's just that those are the ones that stand out to me the most!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by themightyshrub View Post
    Cheers!

I think my top five were X-Elixer, Lovecraft and The Man From Tomorrow, Solstice, Candy and Valor. I know that's 6, but I liked them all so much I couldn't really pick one to omiss.

That's not to say of course that the others weren't good - there was not a single script that I thought was even remotely bad - it's just that those are the ones that stand out to me the most!
    hey thanks... your story kinda reminded me of mine, some similar character types and locations.

good luck to all!

7. Collapse Details
    Senior Member MiataFilmSomething's Avatar
    Excellent quality of scripts this round. All interesting and fun to read in their own way. I think my favorite was LoveCraft just because of the idea and concept. Lots of potential there.

Great work on all of them, and congrats to everyone!
    "...and knowing is half the battle. The other half is violence..."

8. Collapse Details
    My top three were X-Elixir, Solstice and Ten Tumbles and a Boom with honourable mentions for Ned's Three N's, The Glass Leopard, Oh, To be Old Again: From the Files of Nash Cooper and The Man From Tomorrow.

I tend to read quite quickly so the ones generally lean towards are the scripts where the story jumps off the page but I could have probably mentioned all of the scripts. The level of writing (and reviewing) was very high.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by themightyshrub View Post
    Cheers!

thanks, heather! i also wanted to wish everyone good luck! terrific writing and great entertainment! i loved it!

10. Collapse Details
    The Callaghan Top 5

1. Wooden Kimono
    2. Ten Tumbles and a Boom
    3. The Glass Leopard
    4. Candy
    5. Angelo's Girl

Note: There were 3 or 4 others that just barely missed the cut.
    Additionally, there were some that I really, really dug -
    but I felt they didn't stand on their own feet (as a complete story).
    Because I'm all about the story, I had to penalize them slightly.
    Otherwise, they would have been right there with the top Callaghan picks.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Likewise for a few that I thought were quite good, but felt they weren't strong ambassadors from the Kingdom of Pulp
    (so I couldn't, with a clear consciousness, rank them at the very top.)
    END EDITED MALARKEY

There weren't any bad scripts (a fact I was frankly surprised to find).
    Cheers all around
    Last edited by CallaghanFilms; 12-23-2008 at 06:35 AM.

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast