Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Anyone using Pinnacle Studio
    Pinnicacle Ultimate version 12 for 129.99
    claimes to handle HD Blue Ray and AVCHD editing technologies....
    Sounds to good to be true. Dose anyone have knowledge on this software?

As well,
    I purchased the HMC 150 recently. I'm an Edius 4.5 user. My best option for capture and editing seems to be to step up to Edius 5.0 with HD Storm at a cost of $1300.00 plus. If anyone using this PC based system would like to give assesment, it would be much appriciated.

Mel Brunetto
    Wedding Videography

2. Collapse Details
    You might want to post this question on the Edius forums at canopus.com.

Panagiotis

3. Collapse Details
    I'm an FCP guy but Edius may be the stoutest AVCHD editing platform on the PC side. Depending on your system specs CS4 could work well too. Sadly on the Mac it's not usable with HMC footage, at least it crashed my system hard.

Actually Pinnacle may be worth a look because the more consumer-oriented NLE's are more AVCHD focused. Man I just re-read my post and it looks pretty unhelpful... Us Mac guys are kinda dumb at PeeCee's....

Darren Shroeger | http://hdmuse.com | Traverse City, Michigan

4. Collapse Details
    I've used Pinnacle before, and, while its claims are true, it's EXTREMELY unstable. The only thing I'd use it for is converting AVC HD files, but you can already do that for free (Panasonic DVCPRO HD converter). It can't edit 24p, and it's very limited in terms of features--if you're able to get it to work, that is.

5. Collapse Details
    I would never touch a pinnacle product to be honest. They're all quite bad. IMO

6. Collapse Details
    The beauty of the HDStorm is that it will give you HDMI input (so you can have 4:2:2 capture) and hardware assisted Canopus HQ conversion. Edius 5 also works well with AVCHD - I'm getting realtime single stream with a 2.5GHz dual core.

Panagiotis

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all of your input, I'm new to all of this kind of communication, hope I can help someone in the future....

8. Collapse Details
    I took interest with Pinacle as well as Nero for their claims for native AVCHD editing and smart rendering. It doesn't take long to realize that these consumer products were only designed for consumer cameras. Like some of the big boy NLEs are still experiencing, these have problems when you throw anything other than 1080i and low bitrates at it.

I would pay for a simple product like this if it could do simple cuts and proper smart rendering on all of the HMC's formats. I always did quick cuts with all my DV footage to keep only the useful footage and maintain original quality. This way you have a showable video that is also easy to do further editing on. Am still waiting for a similar workflow for our AVCHD files. I can deal with the second of re-encoding per cut.

9. Collapse Details
    I tried some footage on a buddies computer using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 12.1 and had nothing but problems. Constant freezes , Crashing etc. It's is very unstable for the HMC150 unless your only editing 1080i and below 21mb rate. It even gave me some problems on my consumer Canon HG21 footage. If money is an issue maybe try the Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 9? They have a trial you can download and test out. It is around 100.00 bucks also.

10. Collapse Details
    Pinnacle Studio is stable here, but it has problem reading 720 25p files, it takes them as 50fps and plays them at double speed, though audio is fine.
    From initial doodling, I think Edius has the neatest/fastest interface.

For a quick conversion/editing, TMPGEnc 4.5 Express is good too (but outputing takes ages).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast