Thread: Lovecraft

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I also have no experience of Lovecraft. But with regards to the head it did not annoy as I read it as being back to normal, because, Mr Green entered and made no comment about his head, but did about the blood and brain on the curtains. That tells me that his head was back to normal with no traces of blood or a wound on it, as i would have expected Mr Green to comment on his Lovecraft's look as well.

Marshall Dean

Writer/Producer

2. Collapse Details
    Chris, really well done. Reads easily. Lovecraft is very cool character and you do want to see more of him. I really enjoyed it.

One thing I want to say though, and this is merely my personal opinion, I like to see a complete short. What I mean is, I think it's great that you created such a strong character and wrote this piece really well, but it feels more like one event in this characters longer journey. Its like a reveal into his world and who he is. But hey, all just opinion.

Again, really well written.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

3. Collapse Details
    Wow, very creative. It's hard for me to give you any constructive feedback as I think you nailed it. Nice job, I can't wait for the series.
    ScriptFest III Entry - X-Elixir - Deep inside the Third Reich, American GI's Buck Masterfield and Paul Bolden take on a cadre of superhuman Nazis who are hellbent on world domination.

LossFest Entry - White Wilderness - Deep in the heart of the Sierra Nevada mountains, a man loses his way, wits and will to survive.

4. Collapse Details
    Very good, really enjoyed it. Thought Lovecraft's dialogue was very good.

I also had a little trouble with the beginning as far as him shooting himself in the head. I didn't realize that he had gone about business as usual til I read the bit about the brains on the curtains. Maybe just something small, note that he still has the gun in his hand and rubs his head oir something.

Overall I thought you did a really good job, interesting characters, world, well told, good job.
    the writer formerly known as "Conlan Forever"

Need a short script?
    Have an idea? Want to collaborate? Contact me.

screenwriter75@yahoo.com

5. Collapse Details
    some quick notes as i was reading:

3rd paragraph:
    "the screens dead reflection" maybe... "the dead screen's reflection"

also, "betray his tormented past"... do you mean "portray his tormented past"?

kinda hard (for me) to follow exactly what's happening... also, i'm not sure if it qualifies as pulp.

i haven't read your thread yet, so if those things were mentioned, just ignore them. i think you have a good story here, but it confused me a little. no big deal though, i'm going to read other's comments and then re-read the script. i'm sure i'll get it the second time around, and more comments to follow...

6. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    some quick notes as i was reading:

3rd paragraph:
    "the screens dead reflection" maybe... "the dead screen's reflection"

also, "betray his tormented past"... do you mean "portray his tormented past"?

kinda hard (for me) to follow exactly what's happening... also, i'm not sure if it qualifies as pulp.

i haven't read your thread yet, so if those things were mentioned, just ignore them. i think you have a good story here, but it confused me a little. no big deal though, i'm going to read other's comments and then re-read the script. i'm sure i'll get it the second time around, and more comments to follow...
    'Betray his tormented past' was my flowery way of saying he's a hardcase, but every once in awhile his torment breaks through to the surface.

Believe me I had to explore the whole internet to get an idea of what pulp fiction is. And hell that didn't help, much. Basically all pulp is cheap and dirty stories designed to get a rise out of the audience quickly. Pulp topics wandered from Futurescapes, Monster, Ghosts Stories, and the ever present Private Dicks. Not just Quentin Terantino movies. So I decided to mix the popular detective dude with something supernatural. I didn't try to replicate the old style, but do the same thing for today's audiences. We aren't making movies for the OLD pulp fiction audiences, but for people today.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the feedback

7. Collapse Details
    This was a good read and a courageous entry, but I'll admit I had some difficulty getting into the swing of it. I had to go back and read it several times to work out what I think of it and actually I'm still not sure. The Lovecraft and his universe you are portraying are pretty "abnormal" and maybe your style is rather laid back to get it all across in a few short pages. Maybe what I'm saying is just a different way of expressing what others have said about it seeming part of something larger. As a standalone piece maybe it should have been a bit harder hitting? - It's certainly well-written and well structured. On a nitpicking note, I think it should be "Sheol" and not "Schoel" (page 3), unless this is an alternative spelling I'm not aware of. Thanks for the read.
    Jason

8. Collapse Details
    All you need is to get Guillermo del Toro to direct!

But seriously, this was a cool script. I liked it a lot.

A couple comments. There seems to be just a tad too much V.O. for how much action there is. And the dream sequence seemed a little cliche. And I assumed he had dreamed shooting himself as well, until we heard that great sinus problems line.

Good characters, nice dialogue, and cool objects. Nice work!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Keaton View Post
    'Betray his tormented past' was my flowery way of saying he's a hardcase, but every once in awhile his torment breaks through to the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Keaton View Post

Believe me I had to explore the whole internet to get an idea of what pulp fiction is. And hell that didn't help, much. Basically all pulp is cheap and dirty stories designed to get a rise out of the audience quickly. Pulp topics wandered from Futurescapes, Monster, Ghosts Stories, and the ever present Private Dicks. Not just Quentin Terantino movies. So I decided to mix the popular detective dude with something supernatural. I didn't try to replicate the old style, but do the same thing for today's audiences. We aren't making movies for the OLD pulp fiction audiences, but for people today.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the feedback
    gotcha... and i agree with Jason about that great sinus problems line.
    Last edited by preston; 12-18-2008 at 07:46 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    I need to reread this one again, but, first impressions, I really like it. I felt like it fell into the Sin City/Hellboy realm... (am I even close?) Very different take on the pulp, noir genre. Refreshing.

I, too, like the sinus line.

I'm not sure I understood who, or what, the main character really is, or why the other guy was an insect. But I liked the writing, the story, the characters, etc.

Nice work! (I'm going to go read it again right now...)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast