Thread: Feedback

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    I just fixed a couple of spelling mistakes.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

2. Collapse Details
    Well, it's pretty difficult to get this fest off the ground without feedback. Cat's got everyones tongue?
    The bottom line is there is an obvious lack of interest right across the board.

There are many reasons for that. Too many in fact to get into.

A bit of my own feed back:

I can't count recently how many people I've seen that have had "VFX Artist" tagged into their sig. I suppose that goes along the same lines as "Film Maker, Director, Writer...". It doesn't mean anything; it just looks good on a sig. Unfortunately that dilutes the meaning for the ones that actually live it imo. CGI, not Visual Effects specifically is a very difficullt job to do right. If you consider the scope of what CGI and VFX covers you might start getting an idea.

With this fest I hoped to introduce people to the various areas that CGI covers. There are enough subjects to cover the next couple years. Maybe that's the wrong approach, so what is the right one?

Who can motion track, use photogammetry tools, do Mattes, model inanimate objects and characters, texture and paint them, animate objects and characters, CC,
    particle effects like smoke, water, flames, oceans, realistically, maybe tornadoes too, terrains-earth like and alien, ect, plus write, direct and edit your multipass renders so they look half decent? It's pretty tough for a one man show. I personally have never met anyone that didn't specialize in a given area of CGI, that was any good. Including anyone who had "VFX Artist" in thier sig. God that's annoying.

So, I think, the CGIFest is destined to fail because, quite frankly, it's too hard.
    No one can do it. And the ones that can have better things to do.

So...I'm just an administer of this fest, and I'm sure to cease my participation at the end of the current fest, however if someone else has an interest in continuing it up, contact Jason.
    Otherwise I'll finish up here and, barring anyone else stepping in, run the dvxfest leaders fest at the end of the year.

Thanks to everyone that participated and worked behind the scenes, Mattykins and TowerFan to note.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 07-10-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

3. Collapse Details
    Raptor,

I am chiming in here after a long absence. I've worked with VFX for a little while. I helped some people out with basic stuff. I am doing a lot of the VFX on my latest piece. But fact of the matter is this thing has been through numerous revisions. Version 1 ended in bickering. Version 1.1 ended due to lack of interest. Version 2.0 had hiccups. Version 2.1A didn't do so hot either.

I think we were lacking in time. It takes hours and hours. Nothing hurts more than rendering out a scene and noticing something that went astray and having to repeat the process. Even a few frames at several hours per frame. It's exhausting.

There is a ton of work to do in these entries. Digital Domain and ILM employ the vast amount of people they do for a reason. Few people I've met can hold their own alone.

I am personally sad to see this the way it is. I took on a supervisory role that really didn't exist a while ago. Raptor and I gave it our all a while back. Lots of emailing, IMing, joking, spellchecking, and revising went into the revision of this fest.

And I agree, it's a hard one. I wish the best for anyone that takes it on, if they ever take it on again. I will always be here for a PM idea bounce or a supervision role in a new reincarnation should anyone want to take me up on it.

But to everyone who participated, it was awesome. Thanks guys for letting this new revision go on for so long.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykins View Post
    ...Digital Domain and ILM employ the vast amount of people they do for a reason. Few people I've met can hold their own alone.
    I agree. I've spent the better part of this year learning new software and it's getting to the point where I'm spreading myself too thin and can't get anything done. Man oh man, it's just an endless amount of learning.

It's a shame we couldn't get the fest to fly. I don't have any answers other than letting someone else take another crack at it if they like. I've lost my ambition to run it now so it's better I move along I think.

I started working on a picture last night and continuing with it today, as a stress reliever of sorts. I'll probably post a wip in the 3D area later today. I haven't done one of these in a while but I enjoy it.

5. Collapse Details
    Fellas:

First of all, I appreciate your efforts on this fest.

I'm not sure that I agree that it hasn't been all that successful. The third contest had a pretty good selection of entrants, and while I don't know how #4 is looking, I decided not to enter that one as the project didn't really excite me all that much. But to each his own.

I encourage you to keep going and continue CGIFest. It may seem like not much is happening over a long period of time, but consider it anyway. I would concentrate on the challenges themselves and make them appealing to a wide an audience as possible.

Thanks guys!
    John LaBonney
    Director, Dam Short Film Festival
    www.damshortfilm.org
    john@johnlabonney.com
    (702) 769-5902

6. Collapse Details
    A couple replies in 2 months speak plenty for me. I can't run a fest if there isn't one. The previous fests were fine. The past 2 fests drew zero responses. So, hey, I had to arrive at a decision. I'm not against the fest, I'm for it. If I as head of the fest can't keep it going then I need to step aside and let someone else try. That's how it works in my book. The job's open to anyone who wants it, just contact Jason.

The DvxFest leader fest will still happen at the end of the year, regardless of who oversees it, or if ofcourse dvxuser decides otherwise, it's still on as planned. So there's still a good 5 months left for that. Surely, no excuses about not enough time to get one in. (which reminds me).

7. Collapse Details
    I for one would rather spend my time creating CG for films in the main Fest area. This pushes the boundaries in the best way and so I wont have time for the CGI Fests. This may be true for other users.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234