Thread: Feedback

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Feedback
    The official ongoing feedback thread.

What can we do for you? How can we improve?
    Last edited by Gord.T; 12-30-2008 at 11:28 PM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

2. Collapse Details
    But guys, this feedback is critical. Raptor and I have taken this thing under our wings. It's the third rendition of the fest. If people aren't entering. We are going to call it DOA.

We want to make it the best we can for all you guys.
    Last edited by Mattykins; 12-31-2008 at 05:08 AM.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

3. Collapse Details
    (IE lost my first attempt at this reply, took 10 minutes to write as well).

I've been playing with some ideas for entering this fest, but I wanted to see if I could pull off any of the ideas before announcing my desire to enter. Im going to be combining custom shot footage with CGI from XSI, matchmoved with Syntheyes and compositied with Ae. And its my first time doing anythig this complicated.

As for feedback I have some thoughts on the lack of entries.

When I first saw the title of the forum "CGFest" I popped in and there was a little announcement about doing a fest but no real details. At that pointI was of the opinion that I would not be entering as it was "CGFest".

When I see and talk to people about CG they think Toy Story or Beowolf. Pure CG, no film. When you think in terms of VFX you think, The Matrix, Batman, Supernatural, etc. While VFX covers CG the reverse is not true.

So I think that while you are happy to have pure CG, the title should have been something like "VFXFest - Supernatural". This would appeal to filmmakers and VFX artists more than CGFest. Compositors would probably not even bother to read any posts.

If I hadn't of popped back later and read the details, which I still dont think say VFX loud enough, I would never have realised that VFX was ok for this and even thought about entering.

This is also a fest that requires considerable investment in time and equipment before you can even consider playing. Anyone can pick up a camera and shoot a basic, if bad, film. CG/VFX takes a lot of skill before you can do even the most basic of scenes.

Finally, I count that there are currently 4 other movie fests and 1 script fest plus photography. This may simply be work overload and if the fest title is not catchy enough it may simply not draw enough attention.

You guys are doing a great job so please dont take any of what I have said as a critisism, rather than hapefully useful feedback.

4. Collapse Details
    Guys,

I'm truly blown away by the talent and skill level required to the things you do. It's WAY beyond me. But I check in here daily to see the WIPs, as I think this stuff is very interesting AND inspiring.

I'd love to participate, but my skill level taps out at a mediocre compositor (and I just learned to do that over the past month).

I wasn't sure I understood the rules of the fest. I didn't know the running time requirements. I've noticed in a past fest that the clips were maybe 10 seconds long? I understand that your work is VERY intensive, requiring long render times.

I thought of writing a short supernatural scene, shooting it with my HVX then using AE for VFX to sell it. But when I saw some of the WIP threads I realized that I was WAY off the mark. It seemed that CGFest requires 3D, MAYA, etc. and not compositing with AE.

I still check in to see the updates, but I don't have the skills (nor the programs!) to participate.

Good luck guys.

5. Collapse Details
    I've been watching the WIPs since I first noticed the fest was open, but I didn't even realize this was actually open until a few days after. I kept checking and only seeing the "coming soon" post, and quit looking, so I had no idea it had started up. Unfortunately, when I saw the contest rules, I was disappointed that I couldn't really participate because of the deadline.

I was interested in working with some CG people on something, but the bigger fests have much longer deadlines. I've done CG as a hobby, but not professionally, and I know exactly zero CG artists personally, so I most certainly wouldn't be able to get anything of any quality together by the 22nd of December by myself.

I used to frequent the old LWG message boards when I was much more into Lightwave. I think they still do it on Foundation3D boards, but LWG had a texture competition every month. They'd supply a model, and everyone was supposed to texture it. That's all you had to do, and you had a month. Here, you have to model, texture, rig, potentially animate and render out your still or animation in the same amount of time.

A month to do all that might be fine for some people, but most of the people here aren't CG artists, so one suggestion might be to integrate filmmaking into this competition. The competition obviously isn't explicitly excluding filmmaking, but the deadline could easily be a deterrent unless you already had everything you needed in your back yard.

Just off the top of my head, what you could do is provide some footage and tell people they have to match-move it and integrate something, anything into the video. Or contestants have to make a 30-60 second video, and have at least one VFX shot or entirely CG.

Or possibly make it a full-blown DVXFest, where you have to make a short, maybe 4 or 5 minutes or less, that involve at least X CG shots, or be entirely CG. I don't know, something where you could involve the filmmakers here who I'm sure would love to work with you guys. Personally, I would love to direct an animated short. But a lot of us know more about cameras than about 3D modeling and animation.
    Joe Laude
    Camera, Editor, Aspiring Director
    My (Fledgling) IMDb Page
    My YouTube Channel

6. Collapse Details
    Guys,

Raptor and I discussed this. We changed the fest to CG Fest so we could incorporate VFX and full CG integration. Since technically everything you do in AE is basically CG at the truest extent of the definition. Maybe next time we will make this more clear.

And I understand the time constraint. We tried to keep it going once a month to allow it to move along. Though I am feeling the pressure here on my entry with a month. I am trying something new - and it's kicking my ass.

Needless to say, I also have a lot on my plate. We might be adjusting the time frame pending discussion from this feedback.

Raptor and I have several ideas for fest entries. Some are going to be the format you see now. We give you genre - you make it happen. Nothing's stopping you from gathering footage yourself to matchmove. We tried to keep it open and allow nearly everything. Other ideas are based on workshop. Where you need to matchmove something. Or you need to do this or that.

Ideas for fests are tough. Raptor and I had a list of like twenty concepts. I ruled 3/4ths of them as "stupidly impossible to do".

A name adjustment is certainly an option now. I look forward to hearing what others have to say. And no worries about the criticism. We asked for it - we need it. This failed twice before.

-Matt
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    MKTG Film, Film Marketing 101

7. Collapse Details
    I will be posting updates when I get them . Should be shooting my plates on Sunday or Monday. In the meantime I'm going to start some modeling. A CG fest is cool maybe if you changed the name to VFX fest that would draw more people?
    Filmmaker and VFX Supervisor/Artist

My Website
    IMDB

8. Collapse Details
    Appreciate the feedback everyone.

I'll be sitting down with Mattykins next week and we'll look at everyones
    concerns and see if we can't get some of this straightend out.

For starters I guess we need to clarify the rules. There appears to have
    been a lot of confusion in that regard. Possibly revert the name back to
    VFXFest and maybe extend this fest given the above.

I'm also behind on my entry due to rendering another gig but should have time next week to get more work done on it.

Keep those crits coming and maybe we'll get this thing off the ground.
    Thanks again.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

9. Collapse Details
    I definitely would like to enter, but timelines for this kind of stuff can vary widely and you can obviously get mired down trying to perfect something. Ultimately, I think that's the problem, people get discouraged because they can't get exactly what's in their head out in the time allotted. I don't think more time is necessarily the cure for this, so I'll propose this:

Although I like the idea of having such an open format, I think that's where the problem may lie. An open slate will cause people to think and re-think everything they do. With a tighter set of rules, boundaries to work within, then people will be forced to get really creative and execute faster. For example, give an image, footage, sound, whatever, then set out rules as to what the final output should be. Maybe give time restrictions, etc to further tighten it up. That way there is one output and each user can focus on that one thing. You could also set it up in a tiered fashion to where 3D people have a route they can follow, compositors have a route they can follow, etc.

Just my two cents, I look at competitions like Photoshop/AE Tennis, those 15 minute competitions (forgot the name), the SIGGRAPH Fjord competition...they all had restrictions that helped refine the output. Either way, I'm hoping I can put something together for this...
    never updated

10. Collapse Details
    I think regardless of how many people enter, it will be a learning experience for others. There are plenty who don't feel their talents are up to those who will participate, and they will be content to observe. From that angle, it is still important.
    "One. . . Two. . . FIVE!"
    "Thre Sir"
    "THREE!"

It aint the colors man, it's the LUMINOSITY.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast