1. Collapse Details
    SD-100 as second cam to HMC-150
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the SD100 or HS100. think it could be useful as a second cam to the 150 for use in weddings etc. I would potentially use it:

- Manned at back of ceremony
    - Unmanned at front (2pm) where manned cameras are not allowed (some churches)
    - For a diary room cam unmanned
    - Wide angle (possibly unmanned) for 1st dance.

Potential Pros:

- Much cheaper than 2nd 150
    - Records same formats as 150 onto SDHC (no 21mbps, but that isn't a deal breaker)
    - Has cold shoe and mic in so should be able to attach Videomic
    - Size may allow me to use it unmaned
    - Less of a disaster if stolen

Potential cons:

- Low light? It is CMOS so might be ok, even with 1/6 sensors
    - Doesn't look pro
    - Will the image require major adjustments to match exposure colour to the 150?

I would really appreciate any guidance you guys can give. Getting a second 150 is an option as well, but a much more costly one of course.

2. Collapse Details
    I have an SD9 and in good lighting I think it performs as well or even better than the DVX, so I think it and the SD100 would make good B-cameras.
    -Bo Smith
    Shooter/Cutter
    http://BoSmith.tv

3. Collapse Details
    Depending on how much you were willing to spend, you might want to look into the Panasonic HMC70. It's pretty much the same insides as the SD9 (3 1/4" CCDs) and records AVC HD onto SD cards, except it has XLR jacks and is shouldermounted-it looks far more professional than any consumer cam.

My $.02.

4. Collapse Details
    According to the panasonic website the sd9 has 1/6" CCDs, so surely the HMC70 would be better in low light?

5. Collapse Details
    how about canon's HF11. it's an AVCHD cam that records on SDHC at 24Mbps max (same as HMC150). it has 1/3.2" CMOS sensor.

6. Collapse Details
    Had a look at the SD100 today in a local electrical store. The image looks very nice on the LCD screen and quite good in the low light of the store. Only criticism would be that the image was a bit over saturated, but I think this can be turned down with a setting.

It has a full size cold shoe on top, which is very handy.

The OIS is very impressive, giving a steady shot hand held at full zoom, I was amazed by this.

I think I will probably get one as a 2nd cam, and it would still be useful as a 3rd cam if I eventually get a second 151E.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Last edited by Cranky; 12-10-2008 at 02:41 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Well, I decided to get an SD100 in the end. I used it with my 151E to shoot a Pilates video for a local Physio centre:

http://www.vimeo.com/2444547

I wonder if anyone can tell which camera was which from that?

Anyway, findings so far:

- Colours need some adjustment to match them up
    - Not nearly as good as the 151 in low light
    - Image seems softer, even in reasonably well lit indoors (not sure about outdoors)

But:

- Image still very good for such a small camera
    - Fits in a side pocket of my main camera bag!
    - Uses the same batteries, and lasts 2 times as long on them
    - Manual focus ring is nice to use, when focussing you get an expanded view of the centre of the image which makes focussing very easy (this would be useful on the 151 as well IMHO). Its a bit like the focus assist on the 151, but it happens automatically and it still shows the outer parts of the main image so you don't lose track of framing.

In summary, a second 151e would be far superior, of course. But this is a pretty good choice if you are on a budget or need something more compact.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by studio1972 View Post
    Well, I decided to get an SD100 in the end. I used it with my 151E to shoot a Pilates video for a local Physio centre:

http://www.vimeo.com/2444547

I wonder if anyone can tell which camera was which from that?

Anyway, findings so far:

- Colours need some adjustment to match them up
    - Not nearly as good as the 151 in low light
    - Image seems softer, even in reasonably well lit indoors (not sure about outdoors)

But:

- Image still very good for such a small camera
    - Fits in a side pocket of my main camera bag!
    - Uses the same batteries, and lasts 2 times as long on them
    - Manual focus ring is nice to use, when focussing you get an expanded view of the centre of the image which makes focussing very easy (this would be useful on the 151 as well IMHO). Its a bit like the focus assist on the 151, but it happens automatically and it still shows the outer parts of the main image so you don't lose track of framing.

In summary, a second 151e would be far superior, of course. But this is a pretty good choice if you are on a budget or need something more compact.
    colours are evidently different from both cams. it seems a lot of work is needed to intercut them together. but atleast both cams cast sexy shadows

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studio1972 View Post
    when focussing you get an expanded view of the centre of the image which makes focussing very easy (this would be useful on the 151 as well IMHO). Its a bit like the focus assist on the 151, but it happens automatically and it still shows the outer parts of the main image so you don't lose track of framing.
    The HMC15x has three of four different assist modes, including the one used in consumer Panasonic cams.