Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    The Natural Order Of Things
    UPDATE:
    NATURAL ORDER OF THINGS WILL NOT BE READY FOR LOSSFEST. SORRY EVERYONE.

I have wanted to make this film for awhile...and now I finally have an excuse to.

The script ended up being about 15 pages. I don't think I can make a six-minute edited version, but I will try.
    If not, I still plan to enter the film as non-competing.

TITLE: The Natural Order of Things

TAGLINE:
    When fate challenges the human spirit.

FORMAT: RED Camera

SHOOTING DATES: January 16th - January 21st

BEHIND THE SCENES VIDEO

PRODUCTION UPDATES:

01.21.09 - Production wrapped.

01.16.09 - Wow. I can't believe it's been a week since I last wrote. Much has happened since. We had our auditions and cast our actors. Rick arrived in one piece with his RED. Production meetings. Logistic problems. Problem solving. etc. etc. etc. We had our first day of principal photography today. Worked a little less than 12 hours. Overall a good day. We ended up getting some fake bottles for smashing from the guy who makes them for Jackie Chan, and rented superspeed Ziess lenses from one of the most generous people on earth. Quentin Tarantino has rented from him before, so it's like we are following in his wake. Each day I'm amazed that this project has come into fruition and that it is all coming together. Eating tons of great food and really appreciating the hospitality and graciousness of our Chinese friends and crew. Tomorrow is another big day, and we have about 5 more days of shooting. I'll try to post when I have the energy and try to post some behind-the-scenes pictures. But it might have to wait til after we wrap.

01.09.09 - Met Yan at the subway and we went to check out another location. She had a better apartment in mind for our story, and sure enough once we got there I was sold. We had Purhr tea with the owner, Liu Laoshi, and then we went to lunch. Afterwards, we had a script translation meeting with Associate Producer Steven Xiu. We spent a lot of time combing through the dialogue and actions, making them more appropriate for the culture. It is a very tedious process, but yeilds more authentic results. We got through about half of the script before Yan had to leave. Then, Xu Jin and I met with Guan Yu and checked out a couple more locations. Locked down the hospital but still needing a bar. We had dinner and called it a night. Tomorrow are the auditions.

01.08.09 - We started this morning at the Tian Yi market buying props. I left most of the bargaining to Yan. Xu Jin met up with us later and took us to a couple more locations. We were able to peg down a couple of key locations in the script. Tomorrow we will be checking out an apartment location and then going through the script with the translator and another native speaker to make sure that all the subtleties in the script translate well. I'm spending most of my nights adjusting the shooting schedule as well as beginning to storyboard and come up with camera setups.

01.07.09 - Still feeling a little jetlagged, but had a full day today with the production manager, Yan. We worked through the script detailing the locations and props, as well as met with the location scout (Xu Jin) and the casting director (Zhu). We are holding our auditions on Saturday, January 10th. Tomorrow we go prop-shopping and more location scouting.

01.06.09 - Took a taxi from the airport to the apartment the production manager (Yan Gao) found for me. It's really nice. Got the internet and hot water working, which is a double bonus.

01.04.09 - The project is officially ON! Took my flight out to Beijing today and will arrive sometime tomorrow.

01.02.09 - Put the finishing touches on the script. Sent it off to our foreign translator to begin translation.

01.01.09 - More video-conferences with producer, William Brick. Working through the last details of the script.

Some screen grabs. These are all raw with no color correction.

Enjoy!

Last edited by aravance; 02-18-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Updating

2. Collapse Details
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    Very cool. Welcome to the fest.

Canon 7D+Teddybear T-Finder+Tamron & Canon Glass+lighting+a bunch of other stuff+2 Beautiful Babies.

"Torn" Available now!
    http://www.rsquaredfilms.com/films/torn.html

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/47561

"RaZoRbLaDe cItY" December 2010. A Maverick Entertainment Release
    http://www.maverickentertainment.cc/...azorblade-city

3. Collapse Details
    I'm intrigued by the title. Looking forward to checking it out.

-
    -
    -

4. Collapse Details
    CAST:
    Feng Li - Yin Jin
    Dong Ke - Zhu Zhi Guang
    Xiao Tian - Wu Yu Xin
    Chen Ge - Chen Guo Yi
    Thief - Peng Tao
    Thief's Son - Zhu Bao
    Shop Attendant - Gloria Su

CREW:
    Executive Producers - Tim Hsieh, William Brick
    Associate Producer - Tian Xi
    Associate Producer - Steven Xu
    Director - Van Blumreich
    1st Assistant Director: Torch Sun
    2nd Assistant Director: Amelia Lee
    Unit Production Manager - Yan Gao
    Casting Director - Zhu Xiansheng
    Cinematographer - Rick Darge
    1st Assistant Cameraman - Liu Guan Yu
    Key Grip - Wang Hao
    Script Supervisor - Cheng Ming Fei, Zhang Yue Yue
    Art Direction - Sun Jian
    Screenwriters - Van Blumreich, Yan Gao
    Location Scout - Xu Jing
    Make-up Artist - Wu Bai Yan
    Boom Operator - Steven Ng
    Original Music Composition - David Pencil
    Production Sound Mixer - Matt Mellin

CAST PHOTOS:

Yin Jing - Feng Li

Wu Yu Xin - Xiao Tian

Peng Tao - Thief

Last edited by aravance; 01-31-2009 at 03:05 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS

Last edited by aravance; 01-31-2009 at 03:04 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Good luck glad you are gonna make it look forward to seeing it.
    Pauly

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers."

7. Collapse Details
    Best wishes and much luck!

Susanne

8. Collapse Details
    I'm looking forward to this. I remember reading an interview with you or something like that where you said your favorite genre is tragedy. Once I read that, I realized that my favorite type of story was also tragedy.

Once I saw this was Loss Fest, I was trying to think of which filmmaker from the boards was the guy who liked tragedy, so I'm glad to see you're in.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks Drew.

Yes, I am drawn to tragedy for better or worse. My personality type is said to be attracted to 'sad things'. I guess I just try to see the beauty of humanity through tragic, sad experiences.

Anyway, hope this entry will be on par with everyone else's entry.

10. Collapse Details
    Silent Bob's Evil Twin Dustin R. Rogan's Avatar
    Welcome fellow Texan! Texas is well rep'd these days!

Rogan
    DVXuser Entries
    Secret Admiration | Given | Redemption | Invaild Directive | The Dustin Rogan Project | The Five Worst Days in the Life of Bartholmeow Saxton | Sleep Walk | Melody for Alleyraine | The Gift | Polly | Mundane | Beans

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast