Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Como's back. back again Robbie Comeau's Avatar
    I think everything Larry's got going now is fine as it...Sure maybe a couple more small tweaks, but I like the way it's going.

a) Easy to vote
    b) So what if it takes an hour to download ALL the entries, once downloaded, you have them, you can view them. I think streaming would be a little buggy, but I'm sure it would be tested thoroughly before being official
    c) It's nice to see that beside each film, there's a thread that you can click on to go and critique, instead of searching for it in the boards.

Just my opinion.

robbie
    Rob Comeau - Film Director
    www.vimeo.com/comeauproductions (film)
    www.youtube.com/comeauproductions (film)
    www.facebook.com/robcomeaufilm
    Message me to check out my films!

2. Collapse Details
    Film of he year is a great idea. I think everyone was pumped about timefest actually doing a screening - but clearly this cannot happen every 1/4.

I've been to a few fests and I have to say that the quality of movies is not always high. there is always politics, someone knows someone or had conections to the dog's wife's lovechild. But if you took the top 5 films (or whatever from each fest) and had them screened once a year, I think you'd have a really good line-up of films.

whether you'd want to go throught the pain of getting all the sponsorshipand whether it's financially viable, is another thing- but this idea could certainly propel DVX from the 'bubble' it might be in to something more substantial.

3. Collapse Details
    There seems to be a bit of a difference between what people see the value of the fest is to what people want the fest to become.

If the value of the fest is to provide the push for filmmakers to get off the couch and behind the camera, as well as a place where good, constructive critique is available for filmmakers wanting to improve, then making the fest larger could seriously hurt that. More films, more viewers, no guarantee on their commitment to the character of the community... just a desire for their films to win... you see where I am going... ? I personally feel like the more films part scares me the most. Not the competition side either. I wasn't able to watch and comment on every film. I got close but in the end, I wasn't able to give everyone their fair viewing. With more entries, you can guarantee that I won't be able to see them all. So then it becomes a popular thread thing or a "do I think the name is catchy?" thing. That concerns me.

If the goal of the festival is to turn itself into a larger, more noticed event then great! But I think we need to consider a minimum count of viewings per voter as well as minimum number of posts. This is a way to create a "staff of Peers" per say, that is employed to watch and judge the films. This would avoid the feeling from filmmakers of their films not getting watched or commented on. It would also avoid eventually having to create a cap on entries like other festivals.

If the idea is to grow the festival I think an annual screening is the way to go. One big festival per year. There are a lot of ways to go about promoting/ producing an event like that but it needs to be professional. You only get one chance to "show up on the scene" in Hollywood. That takes budget and good minds devoted only to that task. i.e. a job.

I would like to see one of the 4 festivals get large enough to invite my bosses to. I just really value the grass roots, everyone helping everyone else, vibe we have here. I'm torn but I really feel like we need to protect that vibe first or we risk becoming just another film festival.
    Michael Ballestero
    Editor: TV Guide Network, Lionsgate
    "Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life"

4. Collapse Details
    Ben... all of your suggestions are good and all have been thought of already and are in various phases of planning, implementation.

I'm fully committed to the fests being the engine that drives dvxuser as we move forward.

If you have specifics on how to implement any of the ideas you have posted or any others, I'm all ears. Feel free to email me or whatever and bounce some things back and forth.

later,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

5. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    Ben... all of your suggestions are good and all have been thought of already and are in various phases of planning, implementation.

I'm fully committed to the fests being the engine that drives dvxuser as we move forward.

If you have specifics on how to implement any of the ideas you have posted or any others, I'm all ears. Feel free to email me or whatever and bounce some things back and forth.

later,
    Jason
    That right there is what makes this such a great place.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Insane View Post

If the value of the fest is to provide the push for filmmakers to get off the couch and behind the camera, as well as a place where good, constructive critique is available for filmmakers wanting to improve
    Mike... Rest assured that this will remain priority #1 in my mind as we grow the fests. Growing the fests doesn't have to mean that goes away... It's one thing I was very mindful of when Barry, Larry and I were hashing out a new voting system. I don't want what you are talking about to ever take a back seat as the fests move forward. It's what makes these fests unique and (imo) so valuable...

That said, there is no reason it has to go away just because these fests continue to grow and evolve and eventually become the talk of the indie community Knowing what is at the core of the dvxuser fests will help make sure we keep our eyes focused in the right direction.

When you think of the fests growing, don't think so much in terms of participant numbers increasing drastically.... Think more of viewership (audience members) growing drastically. That's one of the goals of growing the fests. The larger audience base we can have, the more beneficial it will be to you guys, b/c you have a broader base of folks that your work is being seen by. And, we will also be able to support more films with a lot more viewers and the current rating system (vs. the former ranking system).

Anyways... to sum up... Just know that your concerns do not go unnoticed and maintaining the core of what makes dvxfest what it is is at the top of the list as we continue to shape and evolve the fests and the site.

Later,
    Jason

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

7. Collapse Details

later,
    Jason
    Cool Jason, I'll jot my thoughts down.

Anybody for standardizing the file submissions? I'm kind of sick of watching one entry at 720p with awful compression jaggies and then the next at 320x240 letterbox.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David j. Dodd View Post
    I do agree with the top films, but you can not say that the process does not need to be improved.
    The system isn't perfect, and none are as far as I know. But it's damn close. No way to regulate human behavior no matter how hard you try and how good your intentions. It's as fair a system I have seen. The flaws are on the human side, mine included.

Like many, I have a few peeves, but in the long run, can't argure with the overall success, and the growth of the fest, which makes Mark Harris' point all the more urgent - to at least begin to talk about talking about how to handle these film fests going forward. 67 entries is a lot to view and comment on. Yeah, some of us pick faves since there simply isn't time for many of us to view each and every one (I still have a few to go). I have also learned this fest some filmmakers don't always have the time to respond to all comments, as they are busy viewing 67 films.

One option is to break the fest into two parts, one being 6 min films, and the other 10 min films. I know a few filmmakers here would like a longer running time.

or ...

Eventually I'd like to see DVX have levels, where maybe the ten best films are eligible to participate in the next level, and when ther are enough films, the ten best from that group move to the final level, and that level has an IMDB rating. Got to work your way up to it.

At some point this is going to hit one-hundred entries. In that mix there will be top-notch films and some that need a lot of work. If there is a level system, I think there can be more than one motivation to improve the craft - the first being the golden feedback, the second a shot at some prizes, and maybe the third a public screening. But the creme-de-la-creme can be an IMDB listing.

I know that means squat to some, but it sure looks nice one a resume.

One comment in another thread really struck me as yet another reason to find a way to reduce the number of films one watches. Sounds poopy, but if I felt a pang of obligation to watch 100 films, the quality of comments is bound to go down. That's just a fact of life vs. time.

So, levels. Eventually.

All necomers are automatically in level one. Maybe there will be 40 films there, some treasures. The prize for the top X% is to advance to level 2.

Voting for level one ends first, then level two has maybe a few extra days, and level three a few more. I know everyone is anxious to know who gets the bacon, but there is plenty of time to kick back and let this roll an extra week. The world won't end. It might slow to a crawl, but not end

Hey, also for the top level there can be those really cool laurel wreaths for various 'best of', and a DVX official selection.

Judging from comments in other threads, viewing is still going on. Imagine 30 more films. Need another way to encourage more, but temper the viewing time so it stays as golden as it is and has been.

just shooting from the hip.
    Last edited by alex whitmer; 11-17-2008 at 09:22 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    When you think of the fests growing, don't think so much in terms of participant numbers increasing drastically.... Think more of viewership (audience members) growing drastically. That's one of the goals of growing the fests. The larger audience base we can have, the more beneficial it will be to you guys
    Heck of a point, and this also benefits all those involved, including the performers who can get great exposure, as well as the writers , and all the amazing talent behind six minutes of moving images.

Actors
    Writers
    DP
    Music
    Sound
    Lighting
    Costume
    Editing
    Make up
    Storyboards

I missed someone I'm sure.

aw

10. Collapse Details
    I agree with a lot of things already said but one thing that I think should happen is, as a beginning film maker and i think i can speak for most other beginners out there too. It is not only very difficult but nerve racking to be competing with such high level members that are on this site. And not that it is a huge problem for me anyways because i just do these to learn, not for prizes. But I think it might even out the playing field a bit if we cut the festivals in half... experienced and amateur. Obviously prizes would differ between the two. But i think it might kick up motivation in less experienced film makers as well, to know that they could get a win under their belt or at least have a chance in competing.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast