Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    Users created a Cinevate Brevis group on vimeo.com. It would be cool to have an official DVXUser page there too. Even if it's only for the festivals. That's another great way to promote the festivals.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

2. Collapse Details
    I recently discovered the process behind judging the top films for the semi-finals, and it seems like it is a flawed design that allows experienced users and popular posters to easily get their film viewed and rated, while newcomers have a harder time. I believe the process is based on a point system that combines view count and rating. This means a high rated film can easily be kicked out of a top spot by a movie with hundreds more views.

I can agree that Promotion and Public Relations are a major part of the film-making process, but I feel an online competition such as DVX should give a more equal opportunity to both newcomers and experienced users.
    5TH CLICK FILMS

"It costs nothing to be loyal, honest, and true"
    -the avett brothers

3. Collapse Details
    Just curious. I agree with a lot of the suggestions here, and have seen the fests get better and better.

But is there an overall plan in place for the what the fests will become? Meaning, does someone have a vision of what they will be a year from now, 5 years from now?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David j. Dodd View Post
    I recently discovered the process behind judging the top films for the semi-finals, and it seems like it is a flawed design that allows experienced users and popular posters to easily get their film viewed and rated, while newcomers have a harder time. I believe the process is based on a point system that combines view count and rating. This means a high rated film can easily be kicked out of a top spot by a movie with hundreds more views.

I can agree that Promotion and Public Relations are a major part of the film-making process, but I feel an online competition such as DVX should give a more equal opportunity to both newcomers and experienced users.
    Many newcomers have gotten very highly rated. Look at LoveFest. In horrorFest 2006, it was my first entry and scored 2nd. In TimeFest, Survival made the second cut, and they were new to the fests.

5. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    damn, mark beat me to it.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David j. Dodd View Post

The thread "rating" has nothing to do with anything, in fact, it's kind of a joke. In the past, some users have requested low ratings, just for fun.

Film threads are listed in the order of newest post. (you can even re-order them if you want to) Yes, if you post more, your film will be at the top of the list more often. It is up to the filmmaker to offer a consistent string of interesting content for their film to keep people tuned in.

Moderators give both new and experienced filmmakers the exact same chance for promotion, a thread in "coming attractions" section. It's up to the filmmaker to promote from there (including comment in OTHER people's threads). Don't want to seem harsh, but please ASK in the future about something you may see as a discrepancy instead of framing it as something you've discovered that was somehow missed by the hundreds of other users involved in the fests.

Let's keep this discussion on track PLEASE. I second Mark's question, is there like a "5 year plan" for DVXuser fests?
    Last edited by Ben Sliker; 11-16-2008 at 05:34 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Harris View Post
    Many newcomers have gotten very highly rated. Look at LoveFest. In horrorFest 2006, it was my first entry and scored 2nd. In TimeFest, Survival made the second cut, and they were new to the fests.
    It may have been your first entry, but you had been apart of the forum since 2004. Since previous fests, DVX has also grown in popularity, meaning more submissions and more viewers. The average viewer will not watch and rate every single submission, instead they will pick the moderators and popular posters. I do agree with the top films, but you can not say that the process does not need to be improved.
    5TH CLICK FILMS

"It costs nothing to be loyal, honest, and true"
    -the avett brothers

8. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Responded in yellow below.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sliker View Post

Here's a few thoughts I've gathered -

1. Outside promotion - I feel the DVXuser fests still live in kind of a "bubble" on the internet, i think outside promotion by the individual filmmakers is needed to make this thing blow up.

Absolutely! They could boost the voting requirement to 100 posts if they are worried about people signing up just to load the vote for certain users.

2. Annual Physical Screening, a "Best of" show - Take the top 3 films from the past 3-4 fests and have a big screening in LA like we did for timefest. PLAN/SCHEDULE FAR AHEAD - so that people not close to LA have a better chance of making it. Also, vote/choose one of those films to receive 1 big prize that's not related to specific fest - DVXuser's Best Film of 2008. Also make sure to have this fest registered or whatever so participating filmmakers can get on IMDB and the like.

Cool idea.

3. Faster/More Efficient way of viewing the films and in higher resolution. I'm talking streaming here probably. Or even use the embed video tool. Have your film embedded in your thread for people to watch and then they can immediately comment. (If quality is an issue here, also offer the connoisseurs a high quality download version) Also easier for an outsider to come in and participate if they don't have to download 50+ films at 50 MB a piece. I think this is a huge bottleneck to the advancement of the fests.

Streaming is definitely the way to go! Especially with free HQ sites like Vimeo.

Let me know what you think!
    Great ideas all around. DVXuser seems to be improving things every Fest.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these suggestions fall into place down the road.

Mike

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

9. Collapse Details
    I like the current system - a fest every 3 / 4 months. Twice a year will kill momentum.
    Visit my film blog

10. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sliker View Post
    The thread "rating" has nothing to do with anything, in fact, it's kind of a joke. In the past, some users have requested low ratings, just for fun.
    Agreed. Dead Week had the highest views and posts with a great rating of 4.08 stars over 13 votes. They unfortunately didn't even make the finals.

Thread views and ratings mean nothing.

Mike

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast