Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Unofficial "Suggestions to make DVXuser fests bigger and better" thread.
    Ok, We all love our DVXuser fests, and I think the mods have done a good job of gradually growing the fests in popularity. Here's a chance to sound off on what you think would be a good idea to make them bigger, better, more prestigious, etc. But let me say right now ... THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO DISCUSS THE VOTING SYSTEM. ALL POSTS ABOUT THE VOTING SYSTEM WILL (HOPEFULLY) BE DELETED BY A MODERATOR.

Here's a few thoughts I've gathered -

1. Outside promotion - I feel the DVXuser fests still live in kind of a "bubble" on the internet, i think outside promotion by the individual filmmakers is needed to make this thing blow up.

2. Annual Physical Screening, a "Best of" show - Take the top 3 films from the past 3-4 fests and have a big screening in LA like we did for timefest. PLAN/SCHEDULE FAR AHEAD - so that people not close to LA have a better chance of making it. Also, vote/choose one of those films to receive 1 big prize that's not related to specific fest - DVXuser's Best Film of 2008. Also make sure to have this fest registered or whatever so participating filmmakers can get on IMDB and the like.

3. Faster/More Efficient way of viewing the films and in higher resolution. I'm talking streaming here probably. Or even use the embed video tool. Have your film embedded in your thread for people to watch and then they can immediately comment. (If quality is an issue here, also offer the connoisseurs a high quality download version) Also easier for an outsider to come in and participate if they don't have to download 50+ films at 50 MB a piece. I think this is a huge bottleneck to the advancement of the fests.

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Ben Sliker; 11-16-2008 at 09:22 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I agree with all of these points.

Especially a way of FASTER STREAMING VIEWING. Something like Vimeo for example; full screen, wonderful resolution and instantly viewable. Forget about Downloading. That is archaic and time consuming.

I also think Outside Promotion would help not only the filmmakers, but the site itself. I still don't think previewing the films is a good thing, but maybe being allowed to have a :30 TRAILER and then pointing it too DVXUSER

These could be on the filmmakers MySpace and Facebook pages for example.

VIMEO has the capability of having Channels Password protected by the way.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't think allowing trailers is a good idea - it will only encourage inexperienced filmmakers to waste their time on trailers instead of focusing on the final short. Plus, if thread pimping is a debated issue, imagine what trailers would do!

I do think streaming would improve the fest. Vimeo is definitely a great example. But downloading is still an acceptable method, in my opinion. I do have one complaint: currently we have an option of downloading individual files or downloading a zip with several of them - with a warning that some of the entries may have been updated and the zipped files may not reflect the updates. This is a really bad idea - I've never downloaded the zipped files because I want to make sure I view the latest and greatest! Zipped files is definitely the way to go, but the mods need to make sure they contain the most up to date version of each film.
    Visit my film blog

4. Collapse Details
    I created a DVXUSER Twilightfest channel on Vimeo before the fest even started. I was told not to post my film until after the fest was over. If anyone wants to post their film that didn't make the final seven, go for it. It would be cool to have the films easily accessible through Vimeo. I second the streaming idea for the next fest. When I didn't have a film in the other fests, I was usually too lazy to download and view all the movies. If they were all streamed, I'd have watched them all.

Here's the page:

http://www.vimeo.com/channel22202

5. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    1. Iīm happy with the download situtaion. I watch many film 3-4 times, jump back and forth or look 10 times the same 20 seconds. Itīs faster and easyer if the file is on your local drive.
    Most straming applications donīt like that stuff. Size is O.K., full HD download as an option.

2. Outside promotion and permission to show trailers would be great.

3. Physical screening of the top 10 also.

4. IMDB!

5. I may get some flak for that, but I would prefer only 1 fest a year.
    For some of us it would be much easyer to collect budget, help, time and forces for one project.

my ct2 Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

6. Collapse Details
    I definitely like the idea of outside promotion and also streaming instead of download.

I think trailers would hurt the overall festival though. I think that's been discussed a lot before so I'll just say that I still don't think trailers would be a good thing.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

7. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    No promises.

Think of this as a Red announcement*
    *expect it to change you won't be disappointed.

But we are looking into a system that would allow every film to be embedded in it's own thread.
    So you could view and comment all in the thread.

But there are technical, time, and logistical issues to overcome. So we may hit a brick wall and it may not be next fest or the next one after that or the next one. But we'd like to do it.

Issues include managing the upload process - having it be open to the filmmakers, but once they've uploaded they shouldn't be able to swap their files out etc. So it has to be a drop box situation.

It will have to be partnered with someone like Vimeo, or Motion Box, because no way Larry or anyone else here is flash encodiing every entry. We did this once. For Zombie fest. No mas.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

8. Collapse Details
    I deffinately like the idea of some sort of streaming. I also think it would be great to have an annual best of festival somewhere. Mix it up L.A, N.Y.C maybe even Vancouver? Toronto?

9. Collapse Details
    I think if we're asking for all of these improvements, we need to get ready for something like an entry fee. I'm not sure how much it all costs, but I imagine an "annual best of festival" is expensive. I'd be down with a small entry fee in order to have some of these improvements we're discussing.
    "You'd better cure all those personal problems that might be holding back something you want to say." -John Cassavetes

10. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    now that would be totally awesome to have streaming video in the thread. I have to agree with the trailer comment though, that it might not necessarily be the best idea, but romote the festival outside the site would be a great thing.

The quality of films here has definitely improved to the point where the fests need to be recognized. An IMDB credit would cetainly rock. I did notice that withoutabox.com links to several festivals, some of them free, so why not DVXUSer?

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast