Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Exactly what is stated above...

I have been checking out the dvxuser fests since 2005 and have seen some filmmakers here come a long way in there technical skills and story telling abilities. Since this is my first time participating and being somewhat of a new filmmaker, this is truly inspiring to me.

My overall opinion of the fest is positive both from a viewer's perspective and a participant's perspective. Which do I prefer? To be a participant. I can't wait for the next fest!!!

-
    -
    -

2. Collapse Details
    That's what it's all about... improving your "game" and these fests are huge in helping us achieve that.
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

3. Collapse Details
    I've been around since Love Fest and I still think it's awesome to be able to participate in these things. Yeah, some films really stand out and it rolls down a scale to some needing work but I don't think that I could just say that this fest or that fest was weak. As long as people are participating and evolving, then it's a good fest.

4. Collapse Details
    This is my second fest participating and watching, and I thought Timefest had a bigger gap between the good ones and the... not so good ones, than Twilightfest does. Looking at my ratings, I have about 8-10 movies competing for places 4-8. Pretty stiff competition this time, IMO. I like that! So many people have stepped up their game, it's great to see.

Will there be a screening again?

5. Collapse Details
    I felt that many of them didn't really fit the theme. If I were to watch all the films not knowing that it was "Twilightfest", I would never guess the theme.

However, it doesn't mean we didn't have great films in the fest but part of me was hoping for a lot of "twilightzone episode" shorts, rather than the wash of thriller/horror/sci-fi. (not saying that my film was any better)

Good fest overall. I do feel it lacked in overall storytelling compared to other fests.

AJ Brooks - Writer / Director

6. Collapse Details
    Storytelling is the hardest skill to perfect, in my opinion. Lighting, framing/composition, sound recording/mixing, etc., are all relatively easy to learn. But coming up with a good story is impossibly hard.
    Visit my film blog

7. Collapse Details
    I'm new in all of this, and I found it very enjoyable. I watched and rated all the entries, but didn't had time and honestly, will, to comment on it all.

There's simply too much of it for me, and though I have specified critics for each and every film on fest, it's kinda pointless for me to just repeat what other filmmakers have said about particular. That is good, it means I have something in common with all of them. : )

The fest itself made me happy, and it showed me how good some shorts can really be. Also, I noticed some mistakes of which some filmmakers are aware, so I will not make those doing my next short. And story, yes, I need to learn how to fit the whole story in 6 minutes or whatever the limit is.

All in all, it was nice and I learned a couple of things. The most important is: make films, not excuses.

8. Collapse Details
    I've been around since Spyfest. I had an entry back then and it lacked a lot of things. After watching the fests in between I feel I have come a long way. I think the story is exactly the same for anyone who has entered two or more films. To me that is the point of these festivals. Prizes are nice, but in the end, what we get from here pales in comparison to where we all want to be in our futures. This place is about community. That said, I think the level of competence has risen over the last two festivals. It might just be an anomoly or even a product of more entries equaling more "good" entries. Either way I found it a lot easier to watch the films this time.

*edit* To add to what I said... I am heading to Chico State in December to be part of their Semi- Annual student film festival. I'm also going to be giving a talk with the Digital Filmmakers Guild. THE FIRST thing I am going to do is direct them to DVXuser and the last 3 festivals. The level of competence in these festivals is so high, and the value and depth of resources on this website are so good that as someone tasked with giving guidance and advice I feel it very important that I send them here. I've been part of many at large festivals, never have I walked away feeling like I learned something from my competitors. I think it is because we are a community first and competitors second. *end of gooey gushy pat everyone on the back sappiness*
    Last edited by Mike Insane; 11-12-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: update
    Michael Ballestero
    Editor: TV Guide Network, Lionsgate
    "Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life"

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Insane View Post
    I think it is because we are a community first and competitors second. *end of gooey gushy pat everyone on the back sappiness*
    I agree, I've received so much help from those that have "competing" films in this festival that aside from the fact that there are prizes you can't really classify what we're doing here as a competition or contest.
    John LaBonney
    Director, Dam Short Film Festival
    www.damshortfilm.org
    john@johnlabonney.com
    (702) 769-5902

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Brooks View Post
    I felt that many of them didn't really fit the theme. If I were to watch all the films not knowing that it was "Twilightfest", I would never guess the theme.
    Id tend to agree, and I learnt this in an Australian fest recently. In trying to be too clever with story we missed the theme mark a little and it really didnt help.

I think overall the quality has gone up a lot since I have been viewing.

Rising stars for me this fest (people who I thought had improved most), Robbie and Simon.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast