Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    JVC's Upcoming Camera and the HMC-150
    Exclamation
    Like many, I saw the photos of the upcoming JVC camera taken at IBC and wondered how this will compare to the HMC-150. Photos can fool you as to the size of something and when I saw the upcoming JVC Camera at DV Expo, code named "Victoria", it was a LOT smaller than I would have guessed.

JVC calls it a "Palmcorder". One look at the upcoming camera and I could see that it's a whole different market than the HMC-150. "Victoria" appears to be going after the very small, lightweight camera market. This might be ideal for shooting footage where one has to climb mountains or go to an area like Cuba or Iran, where shooting with professional video equipment might cause potential problems.

Everything about this camera is still up in the air, but by NAB 2009, we shold know exactly what the features are...

Bob Diaz

2. Collapse Details
    "palmcamcorder" for pro use. hmmm reminds me of the scarlet promise. i like the detachable top handle. very interesting.

3. Collapse Details
    reminds me of a DVC 30

4. Collapse Details
    or the sony A1.

5. Collapse Details
    In looking at the lens, 3.7mm...

If the CCDs are 1/3", that would make the wide angle less than 28mm (35mm film camera equivalent); maybe 26 or 27mm.

If the CCDs are 1/4", that would put the wide angle at around 35mm (35mm film camera equivalent).

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Bob Diaz

6. Collapse Details
    Just looking at the controls on this it looks way too cut down so I don't think you can really compare it to the HMC150. It's kind of like comparing the Sony EX1 to the HMC150... not really a fair comparison.

Unless JVC have announced plans for their version of AVCHD I'd say that this is a budget version of their bigger ProHD HDV cameras. I can see it would be great for hand-held glidecam work but unless it has some cool new features I wouldn't pay any more than about $2,500USD for it.

7. Collapse Details
    Totally agree that this is not in the same league as the 150. However, it looks like it lacks a tape drive so maybe it records hdv or xdcam to memory cards. JVC have started supporting xdcam on their proHD camcorders so this seems possible. My guess is it will have 1/4 inch CCDs at most based on the lens specs.

It seems like it would be ideal for a keen amateur. Maybe they will sell the handle/xlr addon as an additional cost item. My canon XM2s have a similar arrangement. But it doesn't have the same amount of controls as the 150, and probably not the IQ either, or the low light performance. It would make a good second cam for weddings, but a second 150 would be better

8. Collapse Details
    This could be a great camera for me to take on the road---airlines are getting tighter and tighter about how much you can carry on these days. Right now the Canon HV-30 fills that role, but with many compromises. When is NAB 2009, Bob? Cheers

9. Collapse Details
    David S.

Aerial Videography For Beginners, Part 1

Aerial Videography for Beginners, Part 2

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

10. Collapse Details
    From that report this little camera is a prototype/mock-up and not a product ready for manufacturing & distribution. I would say if you're gonna put off buying a camera because of this you might be waiting for a while, by then other better stuff will be around i.e. Scarlet & improved DSLRs.

Interesting to see that they've gone the SxS route with their professional lines though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast