Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic AG-HPG20: an AVC-Intra P2 Gear
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PANASONIC ANNOUNCES THE AG-HPG20 P2 HD PORTABLE RECORDER
    FEATURING AVC-INTRA SUPPORT

* New P2 HD Portable Brings Full Resolution, 10-Bit
    Master-Quality Recording to the Field *

LOS ANGELES, CA (November 5, 2008) – Panasonic introduced the solid-state AG-HPG20 P2 Portable recorder/player with AVC-Intra recording capabilities here at the DV Expo conference. Supporting the 10-bit AVC-Intra codec as well as formats ranging from DVCPRO HD to DV, the P2 Portable will serve as a master quality deck for fast, file-based recording -- bridging content to and from older tape based systems and HD-SDI infrastructures.

With 10-bit AVC-Intra compatibility, the HPG20 P2 Portable brings master-quality recording -- formerly only available in higher cost, full sized decks -- to the field. This extraordinary workflow tool allows users to playback and review P2 cards on its 3.5-inch LCD screen, manage clip files and metadata, record content from a wide range of cameras via its HD-SDI input, and backup data onto hard disk drives. Featuring two P2 card slots, the P2 Portable’s solid-state design holds up to the demands of field operation, yet it is small and light enough (2.5 lbs) for easy transportation.

The HPG20 supports a wide range of high definition and standard definition recording formats. Recording and playback formats include 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 720/60p, 720/50p in the AVC-Intra and DVCPRO HD 4:2:2, independent frame codecs; and 480/60i, 576/50i in DVCPRO50, DVCPRO and DV. The unit plays back content automatically (no need to change settings) and can operate in 50Hz or 60Hz. For added versatility, the P2 Portable supports up-, down- and cross-conversion for HD or SD transmission. Additionally, it allows “confidence playback” from P2 files stored on a hard disk drive.

A key benefit of the P2 Portable is that it can be paired with a wide range of tape-based and solid-state cameras as well as camcorders from different manufacturers. The unit’s HD/SD-SDI and IEEE 1394 input interfaces open the door for endless applications in HD or SD production. The P2 Portable can be connected to DVCPRO HD, DVCPRO50, DVCPRO and DV tape-based camcorders via IEEE 1394 for solid-state back-up recording in the field. It also accepts and records signals (with metadata) from any camera with an HD-SDI output, making it an essential tool for broadcast field applications such as news crew pool feeds.

The P2 Portable can playback to large HD production monitors or transfer uncompressed content to HD-SDI equipped decks, post production systems and storage networks. When connected to a laptop’s IEEE 1394 output, the portable recorder serves as a transcoder to HD-SDI-equipped monitors, for full real-time playback from the timeline. Using the HPG20’s USB slot (in Host mode), users can easily transfer content to a low-cost USB hard drive for a seamless, IT-based deliverable for clients.

The HPG20 P2 Portable features a host of time-saving P2 clip management functions. In addition to viewing recorded files in clip thumbnail view, users can copy or transfer select clips from one P2 card to another, copy selected clips from a hard disk drive onto a P2 card, shot mark specific clips, edit a clip’s metadata (support for multiple languages included), or save a text memo to individual clips when recording or previewing. P2 cards can also be “hot-swapped” for continuous recording. Additional features include an SD card slot, for loading metadata or saving user files, and helpful recording functions like a waveform/vectorscope display, loop record and auto record commands that accompany the HD-SDI signal. Internal speaker and headphone (M3 mini) jacks are also included.

When using two 64GB P2 cards (available in December) in the P2 Portable’s two card slots, the unit can record for 128 minutes in AVC-Intra 100 or DVCPRO HD, 256 minutes in AVC-Intra 50 or DVCPRO50, or 512 minutes in DVCPRO.

The AG-HPG20 P2 Portable will be available early 2009 and will offer a 5-year limited warranty program.*

About P2 HD

P2 HD products offer the benefits of pristine image quality, ultra reliability, unmatched flexibility and a faster workflow. They deliver solid-state high definition recording without the mechanical wear and environmental limitations of tape, hard disk, and optical disc based systems. P2 HD ensures the highest reliability, especially in challenging conditions of extreme temperature range, shock, and vibration. P2 HD products provide a significant reduction in maintenance costs, longer useful product life, and immediate access to recorded video (no need to digitize, ingest or create proxy video files) and metadata. P2 HD provides the reliability of solid-state production; the immediate connectivity to existing IT infrastructures; the speed, ease of use and portability of P2 cards; and interoperability with leading NLE systems.

About Panasonic Broadcast

Panasonic Broadcast & Television Systems Co. is a leading supplier of broadcast and professional video products and systems. Panasonic Broadcast is a unit company of Panasonic Corporation of North
    America. The company is the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation (NYSE Symbol: PC) and the hub of Panasonic’s U.S. branding, marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. For more information on Panasonic Broadcast products, visit www.panasonic.com/broadcast.

*To lower total ownership costs, Panasonic offers a five-year limited warranty (Panasonic Broadcast’s normal 1-year basic warranty plus an extended warranty for years two through five upon product registration).

-30-

EDITORIAL CONTACTS:

Stacy Moore or Pat Lamb
    (201) 392-4458 (518) 692-8150
    moorest@us.panasonic.com patalamb@aol.com

2. Collapse Details
    Pictures?

3. Collapse Details
    ... and price?

- Mikko
    Mikko Wilson
    Steadicam Owner / Operator - Juneau, Alaska, USA
    +1 (907) 321-8387 - mikkowilson@hotmail.com - www.mikkowilson.com

4. Collapse Details
    There were no pictures nor price in the press release... I'm sure those are forthcoming. Plus anyone at DV Expo should be able to get more info, as it was apparently released there.

5. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Y'know, this could be something nice attached to a RED. Just being able to hand a client a broadcast standard product that originated out of the awesomeness that is RED ONE...

Nice.

6. Collapse Details
    Nice. It brings the AVC intra codec to the smaller cameras such as HPX170, or EX1 for that matter. I wish Panasonic had designed in an option to record to CF cards instead of P2, though. If Convergent Designs can record 160mbps to CF, then I'm sure Panny could record 100mbps AVC intra to CF. It might cut down on their P2 sales, but they might sell a lot more cameras and recorders. I for one would much rather have the AVC intra codec over Sony's EX codec, because it's MPEG4 based, 10-bits, and intra frame. But the high cost of P2 cards vs. CF cards makes me give it second thoughts.

Or maybe Panny can make a P2-size adapter that you can plug CF cards in. The ability to use a Kensington expresscard adapter with standard SDHC memory has made the EX1/EX3 more attractive to a lot of people.

7. Collapse Details
    You realize that the EX codec is the same codec used for the Convergent Design Flash XDR right?

I think the P2 Gear 2 is a welcome addition to the Panasonic arsenal. Kholi brings up a great point for Broadcast reasons!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jstunzi View Post
    You realize that the EX codec is the same codec used for the Convergent Design Flash XDR right?
    Yes. So what I'm saying is that if the HPG20 and the Flash XDR were comparably priced, I'd probably choose the HPG20 for the better quality recording.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jstunzi View Post
    Pictures?
    Looks like the HPG-10 with an extra bnc on the back for the HD/SDI In.

Killer little machine!

10. Collapse Details
    Yes the little guys is pretty featgure packed and on top of the HD-SDI input and the AVC-Itra Recording, it also has the ability to plyback in conficence mode from the HDD.

As far as recording to CF card, no way. I wouldn't want to put careers at stake on a $50 card that has not parity checking, no error checking and frankly isn't up to even my demos. ;-) If you have seen the abuse I had out to P2 cards, then no comment is necessary. But I only do what sometimes accidently happens to the cards under normal accidental use. And please this is not the place to have a very worn out discussion about whter CF would handle what we do, because if CF could have, then that is what we would have done 6 years ago, but it doesn't. It certainly would have been easier.

Additionally the Convergent Design is using long GOP from an MPEG2 codec, this is a very old codec that doesn't come close to the quality possilbe in an I-Frame codec like AVC-Intra.

It is identical in size to the HPG10, and save for a couple of markings and a extra BNC it could be mistaken.

Barry, If you would like some pictures I can send them on for hosting if you wish. Just let me know.

All the best,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast