Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to create this Pride and Glory Logo
    Hey guys, I know it's simple, but now a days anytime I have two separate ideas about how to do something, I always consult this forum first. Break the tie, whats the best method to do a poster design like this:
    "Life's Too Short To Worry About Paying for It. Tomorrow is a Reincarnation of Yesterday. Relive Your Present. Rebuild Your Presence."

http://www.youtube.com/lemghd

No banners larger than 569 wide or 70 high, please. Also, no animated banners, please.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/announcement.php?f=81

2. Collapse Details
    Alright, here we go... and I apologize that this is rough and rather brief. I'm making this whilst honing in on the election results. It kind of keeps my mind off things ;) I am using Adobe Photoshop CS4, but in the end I explain why and when you should use both Photoshop and InDesign in this project.

The first thing I did was find a picture of Arnold.

No real reason I chose him... I think I was just attracted to the easily "eyedroppable" background. Anyway, I brought it into Photoshop and quickly eliminated the background by using a mixture of the magic eraser tool as well as the polygonal lasso tool.

I suggest you spend more time on it than I did. It's important that you isolate the subject from the background as we will later be replacing the background with our blue color.

As I said... spend more time on it than I did. There is some serious aliasing going on that I decided not to address for the sake of brevity. I've shrunken my Arnold layer and isolated him from the background. The next step is to choose my blue background color. I just used the paint bucket tool to drop my color onto my background layer.

(I decided the blue was the wrong color eventually and proceeded to drop in another one)

The next set of steps is your money maker. Follow these instructions specifically.

1. Select the Arnold layer

2. Go to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation (Or press Apple + U)

3. Completely desaturate the layer by pulling the slider all the way to the left.

4. Next go to Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast

5. Make sure "Use Legacy" is checked and find the sweet spot where enough of your subjects face is overexposed, but you still retain the facial features you'd like to show in the final poster.

6. Go to Select > Color Range

7. Use the "Add to sample" eye dropper (the one with the "+" sign) to eye drop the white color on your subjects face.

Click Ok.

8. Now you should have a flashing marquee over the whiteness on your subjects face. -- CLICK DELETE.

Here is where you should end up:

If yours doesn't look right, play around with the feather level and go back to rework step #5 until you get it.

Next thing to do is compose your design. I set Arnold on the right, and used the paint tool to mock up the rest of his suit (and what ended up looking like a sweatervest... heh heh heh).

Then bring in your second subject... in my case, I just duplicated the Arnold layer for sake of simplicity and set him on the left side, a little bit behind. In fact, mine kind of looks like a miniature version of Arnold. Ha!

I should note that in order to get the kind of fine detail in the face that the official poster did, you will probably need to eye drop even more colors and tweak the feather setting to look just right. It ends up being a bunch of trial and error because, quite simply, not every photo is the same. I do feel like my final version is a bit TOO overexposed and that the feathering isn't quite right... but I'll post it here for the sake of completing this tutorial.

I altered the levels on my two Arnolds a bit and added some text.

This was a rough tutorial that kind of went fast, but the important thing here is that you follow those 8 steps in the middle... everything else is common play.

Another note: As you can tell around here I'm a HUGE proponent of utilizing ALL of Adobe's Creative Suite. You should manipulate the photos in Photoshop at a HIGHER RESOLUTION than they will end up in the final design. Once you've finished your photos, save the .psd file and open up InDesign. "Place" the .psd file into your project and add the text from there. -- Even the blue background should be placed in InDesign.

I could write forever about how important it is to use these methods, but I'll save it for later.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Kyle Stebbins; 11-04-2008 at 06:33 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Rock! Great method and tutorial. This one goes as a sticky for a while.

Thanks a ton for sharing your methodolgy (or however that's spelled).
    "One. . . Two. . . FIVE!"
    "Thre Sir"
    "THREE!"

It aint the colors man, it's the LUMINOSITY.

4. Collapse Details
    I wanna marry this forum when I save up to get everybody on here a diamond ring. Or at least some swaravski crystals. Thanks Kyle Stebbins for coming through better than perfect
    "Life's Too Short To Worry About Paying for It. Tomorrow is a Reincarnation of Yesterday. Relive Your Present. Rebuild Your Presence."

http://www.youtube.com/lemghd

No banners larger than 569 wide or 70 high, please. Also, no animated banners, please.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/announcement.php?f=81

5. Collapse Details
    Seņor Schmarty Pants Alex DePew's Avatar
    Nice job on the tute.

6. Collapse Details
    Wow, thanks for the sticky, guys. =)

It was fun to make this tutorial and I think I might start making more.... though I think there are plenty of DVXusers around here more qualified to make tutes ;)
    Last edited by Kyle Stebbins; 11-04-2008 at 10:54 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Nice job, Stebbs...
    Actor / Musician

8. Collapse Details
    excellent

9. Collapse Details
    Kyle! Sweet! Love these step by step things where I can see how someone else goes about something - learn something new everytime! And yes Illustrator is the king of the Adobe suite!

10. Collapse Details
    My version...

Actor / Musician

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast