Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I hear there is a whole Millitia of bad ass film makers there. I have also heard story's of camera cases full of guns and knifes.
    Last edited by ChipG; 10-30-2008 at 09:35 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robertwerden View Post
    I live about 30 min north of Austin, lets have a beer when you settle in.

Hey Robert,

I'm in Cedar Park, we'll have to grab a beer sometime. Looking forward to Halloween Handyman. Check out Daily Special, that's my house. I'm in Forest Oaks in Cedar Park.

best,

JP

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipG View Post
    I hear there is a whole Millitia of bad ass film makers there. I have also heard story's of camera cases full of guns and knifes.

Indeed. Send Lawyers, guns and Money!

4. Collapse Details
    Sounds good.

5. Collapse Details
    I'm jealous. I almost moved to Austin. I could have sold my house for a huge profit and moved there into a house 3 times the size and had it fully paid for! We waited, and now if I sell I might make $10grand off it. SUX Well have fun for me!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
    I'm jealous. I almost moved to Austin. I could have sold my house for a huge profit and moved there into a house 3 times the size and had it fully paid for! We waited, and now if I sell I might make $10grand off it. SUX Well have fun for me!
    We did that. The Home prices in Austin were 1/3rd what they were in NJ. We sold our house in NJ and used the profit to by a house 3 times the size for cash only.
    The market popped about 6 months later, so the people who bought my old house now are in the red.

7. Collapse Details
    I lived in Austin for about a year and a half... its a rad city. I lived in Hyde Park which is basically one gigantic UT suburb, which was cool, lotsa cool sh*t within a short walk/run/bike...

If you have kids/family I would suggest Round Rock yeah? I honestly dont know... I'm still a young buck, wanting to be near all the action (re: CHICKS!!!) not but all kidding aside, I'd say like Cedar Park, Round Rock, PluggerVille (its Pfluegerville, but I prefer plugger)

things I loved... lotsa cool sh*t like venues/music/art/creative stuff and its a health conscious "green" city... I loved the hill country, the greenbelt, biking/hiking.... UT has a great film program and it also has so many other amazing programs

things I didnt like.... traffic, its starting to get "sprawly" as in Dallas/Houston, working on films and projects and getting paid JACK nothing.... or getting ripped off totally.... lotsa shady "producers" and wannabees that will swindle you if you aint careful...

but all in all its a rad city and I'd love to move back one day

8. Collapse Details
    Ive been working in Austin for years, and I lived there for the year before I moved out to L.A. Thoughts below:

-Hyde Park is very cool if you're 20-something.
    -Up north (Round Rock especially) is boring for 20-somethings but great for families.
    -10 minutes is a long-ish drive, the city is so small.
    -Indie filmmaking happens but you'll never make a living working within that group.
    -There is a very small pro community. They basically all work for Troublemaker (Robert Rodriguez) and Friday Night Lights. I interned for Richard Linklater and he's a great guy, but his office is usually pretty quiet.
    -There's a pretty big video gear rentals/sales house up north (whose name escapes me) and then G.E.A.R. is the film production rental house.

Austin is home to the greatest Mom n Pop businesses in the country:
    -Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas
    -Kerbey Lane
    -Amy's Ice Cream
    -Coldtowne Theater
    -Magnolia's
    -I Luv Video

Cheers!

9. Collapse Details
    I'm outta the country til next spring, but I live in the "Austin Area." I've lived in Cedar Park and Round Rock and I would recommend both towns to any family. Round Rock School District is great... my kids loved it when we were there.

10. Collapse Details
    alrighty fellas... I'm now here in Lakeway. (western village outside of Austin, TX)

Let me know if you anyone wants to meet up for a coffee/beer.

Andrew: Is there a film group here in the area? website/newsletter or local filmmakers?

cheers!
    /j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12