Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I'll only enter if it's Procrastination Fest. I'd win that one...

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeen View Post
    Ha!
    SZP

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeen View Post
    I'm REALLY digging Steve Warren on Page 4...

http://www.octanecreative.com/Parody..._album_covers/

Plenty of poster ideas for the next fest here. I could have made the Broadcast one-sheet much more interesting...
    Thanks, guys. Now I've spent the last hour looking at the greatest kitsch album covers ever. I MUST own this Mike Crain LP!

4. Collapse Details
    That's a fave of mine too. I'd love to get hold of some lyrics from it.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie White View Post
    Thanks, guys. Now I've spent the last hour looking at the greatest kitsch album covers ever. I MUST own this Mike Crain LP!

Gentle Jesus could really have done with some help from this guy. Pity he was born about 1,970 years too late

6. Collapse Details
    My favorite! Or should I say, favourite?

Incredible attention to detail here with an ending that keeps the viewer wondering for days after viewing, what happened? Amazing post production in post apocalypse scenes; color correction and gosh, was that CG or matte paintings?. I'll have to run through your thread to glean howya did it!

That stylus brings back memories of my DJ days.

James Parsons, whoa, subtly perfect!

A sinister collage of ambiguity composed of startling contrasts, slowly dissolving into one unmistakable truth, there is no escape...

Cheers,

E.
    Last edited by Texture; 11-15-2008 at 07:51 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Your shots are very well thought out and planned. I loved the framing and composition, especially the kitchen shot. I was gonna buy me a cheapo smoke machine too but didnt know if it would be effecient........ Im gonna order one this week. Lol.
    Steven Edwards

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkline View Post
    Partly this film was meant to take the audience on a ride which at first gave the impression 'he touches that button to speak, they all dissapear'. I wanted him to be talking rubbish basically, and when he speaks the world vanishes. Who wants to listen to him talk crap?

But the following beat is the destruction, so then the vibe changes slightly to 'ahh, something really bad has happened here'. But as an audience member we're still unsure how these two worlds we are shown are linked.

On his approach to the rooftop we're now in a state of 'ahh ok, he is in the destroyed world' and has been from the outset. His broadcast is one for help, looking for other survivors. Perhaps what we saw before were just his memories of the safe world.

Now his broadcast in this devastated world has attracted something, something which hangs up on him, something which invades the studio. This something could well be the reason for the destruction. I try to hint to this by echoing the CC and also we only ever see it's aftermath. I wanted to stay away from the cause and show the effect, so people mid activity fleeing - putting the washing out, drinking in the cafe, on the swings in the park. The same goes for the phone call, as soon as he picks it up the thing has gone and we only see an echo if it's existence.

These shots of devastation never entered our protagonists inner world. He keeps his studio clean, immaculate, a safe haven from the reminder of what has really happened. When this thing comes after him, he now becomes part of that aftermath we saw earlier. A cylce of shots mid activity. Record scratching, car door open, on air light lit. He has now joined the devastated world (echoed by the CC) and in doing so we still never find out what caused it, but again do see the aftermath of it. I think that completes his character arc. (Something has destroyed the world, he broadcasts for help, but ironically attracts the thing that caused the devastation in the first pace. Now he is missing and all that is left of his exitstence is exactly the same as what is left of everyone else's existence - mid activity broken.)

Finally, the twist if you like is the revelation that the woman now hears the scratching over the airwaves - she was hearing this broadcast all along. It was not just his memory of how the world was. The horrible events have not yet occured here, and the scratching of his abruptly ended radio show catches her attention and she turns it up. Now it scratches over the reprise of these shots again. Hopfully now with a more sinister tone as we know what is about to become of them moments later. The end of their world is about to begin.

This is brilliant on the highest order, save for the explanation in the final paragraph above... If it were me I'd cut out one of two scenes (if your explanation above is to remain solid, in my .02)... I'd EITHER lose the dry-erase board showing WEEKS of his pleas for contact... OR I'd lose the lady hearing (i.e. CONNECTING) with his current predicament in real time at the time of his death... because it causes a time issue. She dies BEFORE the DJ (because we see her ruined kitchen early in the film)... or she dies AFTER the DJ... because she hears the moment of his death through the scratching record... but HE'S been dealing with the disaster for just over a month (dry erase board shows 5 weeks)... so I found that all a bit confusing, as to how I should see it. She had to die before him, or after him, but not both... he is originally broadcasting to her destroyed kitchen... and then she hears his death? Ouch. My head hurts.

All that aside, this one was AWESOME... I rushed to this thread at the very instant your film ended... so far this is the short that I'm going to show everybody. There's a short in each fest that has grabbed me by the gut... and so far this is the one.
    Last edited by MattinSTL; 11-16-2008 at 09:13 AM.
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Texture View Post
    My favorite! Or should I say, favourite?

A sinister collage of ambiguity composed of startling contrasts, slowly dissolving into one unmistakable truth, there is no escape...

Cheers,

E.
    Can I use that on the back of the DVD? Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by spa_edwards View Post
    Y...Im gonna order one this week. Lol.
    Cheap smoke machines. Ok so far, but when ours get hot it keeps spitting out the odd bit of smoke even when you've told it to behave. I guess thats that price you pay :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MattinSTL View Post
    ....... She had to die before him, or after him, but not both...

All that aside, this one was AWESOME... I rushed to this thread at the very instant your film ended... so far this is the short that I'm going to show everybody. There's a short in each fest that has grabbed me by the gut... and so far this is the one.

Thanks Martin, very nice of you. It's great that you're head is hurting!

Have you seen the film Frequency? I think (if memory serves me) a kid is using his CB to talk back into the past to his dad who is dead in his timeline but alive in the past.

I think this could be a similar logic, sure she is dead in HIS current timeline, but the transmission is going back into the past to her timeline so I think it's an ok device to cut between the two timelines. They would both be alive at their retrospective points on those timelines when we see them. The trashed kitchen is how it looks in his world or in the present timeline.

Im just a sadist and I wanted people to put together a jigsaw that could make multiple picutres - what a get out clause!

10. Collapse Details
    LOL! If they ever have a OldGearFest, or a PovertyfilmmakerFest I might enter!

As to the film, it's just stupendous looking! Incredible production design. I was a little lost though, and the plot description quote above was lost on me. Still, it was gorgeous and definitely held my interest. Glad to see it in the finals.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast