Thread: "the box"

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    I didn't think that I missed this one? I wonder if it was lost during the DVXuser blackouts?

An HV20 with an adapter! Very nice.
    For starters, I loved the opening shot with the ants! Great shot.
    The older brother was just that. The actor played the role extremely well, maybe too well!

I was saying to the screen.... play with him already! So well done.
    The little boy was also excellent. That must have been very difficult at times though, to direct I mean.
    It lagged a little for me in the middle but the payoff was well worth it.

You have a thing for disappearing kids!

Justin, I always find your work very interesting and this is no exception.
    The score of course is perfect.

Nice job.

Mike

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

2. Collapse Details
    Really cool man. You got a lot of great shots out of your camera. Story started off a little slow but the payoff was worth it. Actors were great. Score was great. Oh, loved the pixie FX. Awesome job man.

3. Collapse Details
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    a surprise entry especially considering how busy you have been for Twilightfest.
    This one definitely had me thinking and wondering. Found it hard to understand the kid sometimes, but other than that, you shot this extremely well and the twist at the end was one of THE BEST TWISTS in the entire festival. Classic and perfect ending to a story that was like a slice of life. Good actor by the way, very believable.

Totally awesome dude. When you get those dolly wheels you're going to have so much fun...

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

4. Collapse Details
    nice story! love the first shot with the ants. but i almost expected the ants to take an active role later on, it seemed like foreshadowing... the acting was good, the big brother was spot on and so was the kid. maybe it took too long to get to the end. really liked the work you did on the ending! wish i could've seen a lot more of that place.

5. Collapse Details
    Como's back. back again Robbie Comeau's Avatar
    Nice film, man.

The kid was adorable!

I liked the filming also.

It took forever for the end to come, and It got a little. Either shorten it up, or add some more excitement in there. Just a tad repetitive.

Nice CC and lighting!

How'd you composite the final shot?

Robbie
    Rob Comeau - Film Director
    www.vimeo.com/comeauproductions (film)
    www.youtube.com/comeauproductions (film)
    www.facebook.com/robcomeaufilm
    Message me to check out my films!

6. Collapse Details
    Justin,

I really like what you've done here. First of all, the story really fits the theme. I like what you did with the camera work, the images are a little soft, but better than being too sharp. If looks more like film using that adapter.

I like the aspect ratio that you chose and you used the space very well. Nice framing and composition. I especially like the shot at the beginning with the ants. Is that the 'art' shot? Did you use anything special for the lighting with the brother in the chair? I liked the use of the TV flickering lighting on him and his shoes in some shots. Very subtle, but well used.
    I also like the shot at about 4:13 with the brother in the hall and like the lighting and mood in the shot at about 4:52 with the brother looking concerned at the box.

Mat Raney was incredible as an actor and the kid, Tristin was wonderful as well. What a cute kid. Was it a challenge to work with him or did you just let things 'flow'? Tristin reminded me a little of the kid in 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'. The acting from the kid seemed very natural. Was there some improv going on with him and Mat?

The dialog was difficult to understand from the kid a lot of the time, however, after watching it a few times, the dialog was very witty, especially some of the lines from the brother. I like the shot and the dialog at about 2:37, very nice!

I think if the dialog were easier to understand, that it would have carried the middle portion of the movie better. There is a scene at about 3:30 where the brother is calling for Jeffrey and then he seems to go back to sleep. It would have been nice to see the brother get up and start looking for his little brother. And when he's looking, the shots and mood seem static. I would think he would be more concerned and animated, maybe with some camera movement.

The ending was awesome! What a great pay off. The ending is what lended itself so well to the theme. And technically, within the time constraints, great job! There were only a few other films where I thought the ending lended itself to the theme so well.

The music was well done and motivated, of course! And also, the scenes where there was no music were thought out. Good job on the sound design. I really liked the stereo effect when the kid was going back and forth across the frame with the sound going left and right. Nice!

Good use of the ball. It didn't draw attention to itself and was used very naturally in the film. Was the 'Durban - Raney' text on the box there for the movie or was that there when you and Mat were playing with the box before you did the movie?

Overall, one of my favorites and one of your better films. I can't pinpoint the reason for sure. Maybe it was the story, the editing, the ending... I guess I'm a sucker for a good charming story and my expectations of the theme were paid off!

-Robert

7. Collapse Details
    Hi Justin,

Sorry it's taken a while for this!

I loved the ending, it was just a great little moment; music was perfect and at that point I felt everything was working. I loved the opening shot too. I just thought it sagged a bit in the middle and could be tightened up. You had this great opening shot, great end - all of which were very cinematic but the mid section felt a bit flat in comparison. But you did what many havent - hit a good end ;-) You continually show moments in all of your shorts that I like - some really cinematic moments.

Looking forward to working with you sometime!

all the best

Mike

I mean Karl.....

8. Collapse Details
    Tristin Koppie was AWESOME! Not because he was cute or adorable, but because of his acting. Yes, his ACTING. The strongest performance from a youngin’ without a doubt. Seriously impressive.

The film itself was fun. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Albeit mostly because of Tristin. Mat Raney was great in an inevitably thankless role. He was doomed to be overshadowed. The story itself was well paced and fun, though fairly predictable. I’m also not sure the opening shot was necessary. It didn’t add or subtract anything. It was just there.

Competent film. Great acting. Really looking forward to more from you.
    From the makers of Breathe, Don't Look, Moments, Tailight, Hollow, and North.

Now with Behind the Scenes.and screen grabs.

9. Collapse Details
    This has found its place in my top 5. True, it's simple by I think it's shockingly effective in its simplicity. Who says you need a crew to make a kick ass film?

Performances were great -- yeah Tristin was a little hard to understand at times but I don't care. He did a great job. The film looks great, save for some focus issues, and the music was perfect. The sense of wonder in the last scene is captured perfectly in your score. There was one small gripe I had with the sound... in the scene where he goes through the door to the yard, it sounds like the ambient is suddenly overly present. I found that distracting... but like I said, small gripe.

That aside, all I can say is: Great, great film. Loved it.

10. Collapse Details
    A few more stills and some before/afters..

The green screen was actually a 4x6 Kids Dragon Blanket from Ikea that we had laying around for the Myndin's cousins.

And the Final Shot:

there's a few other shots where I had to composite the bugs flying around and another shot where Brad (Mat Raney) looks to box and it's supposed to be empty. In the original shot, Geoffrey (Tristin) is poking his eyes through, so I had to blacken that little window out with AE (after effects)

Enjoy!
    /j

justin r. durban -
    yup & yup.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast