Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It'd be amazing if you could post a link to your AE project, Lee! Are u you using cs3?

Yeah, it'd be simple, cause you could just have a pre-comp feeding into the pixel cut' comp, and then just keep putting new footage into that pre-comp, and it would always be processed/cut the same.

2. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    I'd like to see some moving footage of people, etc, to see the effects but looks like a fairly successful attempt, Lee.

This could turn the D90 into a 720p image if it pans out right. A soft one, perhaps, but could be a 720p/24p if you're willing to work around the issue in post.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    This could turn the D90 into a 720p image if it pans out right. A soft one, perhaps, but could be a 720p/24p if you're willing to work around the issue in post.

The thing is you can edit, grade and play around as per normal - and then just use this method on the final piece - so you don't have to treat all your footage.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
    It'd be amazing if you could post a link to your AE project, Lee! Are u you using cs3?
    Using After Effects 7.

I will post up the AE project, but when I post the details a bit later you will see that it is fairly straightforward to just do yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
    Yeah, it'd be simple, cause you could just have a pre-comp feeding into the pixel cut' comp, and then just keep putting new footage into that pre-comp, and it would always be processed/cut the same.
    Exactly !

Or even simpler just highlight the original footage in the project window and replace it with your new clip to be processed by hitting Command H (replace footage).

5. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Can you tell us how you did it? So that we can play around?

Next step is gettin' less contrast out of the D90. It's WAY to damned contrasty.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
    Using After Effects 7.

I will post up the AE project, but when I post the details a bit later you will see that it is fairly straightforward to just do yourself.

Exactly !

Or even simpler just highlight the original footage in the project window and replace it with your new clip to be processed by hitting Command H (replace footage).
    Yes, of course..

Thanks for doing this, it adds a lot of value to the d90 actually...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Can you tell us how you did it? So that we can play around?

Next step is gettin' less contrast out of the D90. It's WAY to damned contrasty.
    low-con filters? Smoking a lot?

8. Collapse Details
    Ok, not a great tutorial but I am hindered by two things, firstly I don't own a D90 so I can't produce footage to illustrate this and second I have a terrible cold and am wheezing like a 30 year old VHS cassette being rewound in a broken video player.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

First the theory:

(Mostly guess work + some lies) The D90 seems to arrive at 1280 x 720p by firstly arriving at 1280 x 800p and then throwing away a horizontal line every 9 pixels. So we need to put back in a horizontal line every 9 pixels and then squeeze our new 1280 x 800p file down to 1280 x 720p.

Additional points:

a) I don't think it really works like this (above) but it is a convenient illustration.

b) As well as some horizontal lines being thrown away I can also see that some vertical lines are also thrown away (although I might have been fooled by compression artefacts) - but the horizontal lines are the most obvious.

c) The 'missing' line of pixels is not every 9 lines - it is more like 9 - 9 - 9 - 9 - 9 - 8 - 9 - 9 - so it throws a '8' at you every now and again.

That's the theory part finished with, I hope you enjoyed that, now take a break for 20 minutes - have a cup of coffee or maybe sleep for an hour or two.

The process:
    (this may seem a little laborious - but very straightforward - and remember you only have to do this once, you don't have to do it for every clip).

There are four basic steps.

1) We need to do is to chop our footage into lots of horizontal slices 9 (occasionally 8) pixels high.

2) These slices then need to be separated apart by 1 pixel.

3) These 1 pixel high gaps need to be filled with 50% opacity of the line of pixels above - and 50% opacity of the line of pixels below.

4) This new taller (after adding an extra line every 9 or so lines) file needs to be scaled vertically back down to 720 pixels.

So, that the process, you can achieve this in any number of ways, you could add refinements, use better interpolation than my technique of just mixing the pixels from either side to fill the gap or if you are very very clever you could write a simple little script that automates this for you.

How I did my example:
    I used After Effects to apply the above process to the D90 footage, here is a little more detail of the steps involved:

Note: I suggest you film a high contrast (and smooth/straight) line at 45į on your D90 to help with the chopping up stage.

1) Wash your hands, use soap and hot water and dry well with a good quality towel.

2) Open After Effects.

3) Import your D90 footage and drag it into a composition.

4) Draw a mask the covers the full width of the frame and 9 pixels deep - that starts on one of the 'steps' and stops on the next step.

5) Click on Mask Shape > Shape. . . and make sure the mask starts and stop exactly on a whole pixel (ie: Top 400 - Bottom 409 . . . . and not Top 399.78 - Bottom 409.43)

6) Duplicate this layer (the footage + it's mask)

7) On the new duplicate layer click on Mask Shape > Shape - then add 9 to the 'top' and 'bottom' values - this moves the mask down and 'cuts out' the next 9 pixel section (keep you eyes out for the occasional 8 pixel section).

>>>>> repeat steps 6 & 7 until you have done the whole height of the 720p file - about 80 times ! - remember you only have to do this once. + Look out for the slices that are only 8 pixels high every now and again - use your eyes !

8) Select all the layers (select all) - deselect the top layer - hit the down arrow to move all (but the top layer) down 1 pixel - deselect the second layer and hit the down arrow to move all (except for the first two layers) down one pixel - deselect the third layer and hit the down arrow to move all (except for the first two layers) down one pixel - etc etc until you have spaced them all out by 1 pixel. ** you need to be at 100% zoom (ie: not zoomed in) for AE to move the layers exactly 1 pixel.

9) 5 minute toilet break, wash hands again.

10) Pre-Compose all these layers into one single layer.

11) Duplicate this composite layer twice to give you three layers.

12) Leave the top layer where it is - the second layer down needs to move down by one pixel - the third layer down needs to move up by one pixel. ** you need to be at 100% zoom (ie: not zoomed in) for AE to move the layers exactly 1 pixel.

13) The second layer down needs to have it's opacity/transprency set to 50%.

14) Pre-compose these three layers and squash the result to 720 high.

Now to treat any footage you want to repair, just replace the footage you used to make this project with the footage you want to De-Stair-Step.

Hope all that makes sense, any questions just ask.
    Last edited by Lee Wilson; 10-12-2008 at 01:19 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    mods can we sticky this?
    Lee I'd update your first thread.

10. Collapse Details
    hehehe very good. youre a genius. but unfortunelly im not a genius, so can you please post the AE project somewhere? so we can have a deep look at it, or just try to do some tests with a more human image.

thanks a lot for everything, lee

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast