Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Best Bang for the buck...
    Here's my conundrum...I can afford either the hmc150 or the hpx170, and my needs as of right now would be events videography(i.e weddings) and short narrative work. I just recently purchased a new imac and so im looking towards finalcut studio as my nle. I was just wondering which camcorder id be better off with...budget isnt a concern, but this is more of a question of image quality and storage convenience....how would u compare the two camcorders in these regards...how does avchd hold up in comparison to the prohd? Im ready to plunk the money down but im concerned that when it comes down to it, ill either pick a camcorder thats has 2000 dollars worth of features ill hardly ever use or pick a camcorder that uses a compression that'll be more of a nussance when it comes to keying or compositing for... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Joystick Member Richard J. Johnson's Avatar
    HPX170. If you doing any type of narrative work you still may need some of those HPX features. If budget is no concern I would go with the HPX all day.

Canon 7D+Teddybear T-Finder+Tamron & Canon Glass+lighting+a bunch of other stuff+2 Beautiful Babies.

"Torn" Available now!
    http://www.rsquaredfilms.com/films/torn.html

Vimeo Channel: http://vimeo.com/channels/47561

"RaZoRbLaDe cItY" December 2010. A Maverick Entertainment Release
    http://www.maverickentertainment.cc/...azorblade-city

3. Collapse Details
    I'd say the 150 because as I understand it image-wise they are about the same. I have not seen any side by side test so I'm stating what I've heard on that.

What I know:

SD cards are cheaper and easier to find than P2 cards.

DVCPRO HD is easier from a workflow standpoint.

AVCHD files are smaller so you can gain in hard drive space.

I'd say look at the two cameras feature-wise and if the 170 has things that you need then there you go.
    But if the 150 covers your needs I would go with it.

Can anyone offer real proof of the image quailty of the 150 vs 170?
    An UNPURE D800, Canon 7D | Dell M6500 - MSI GS70 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit - 8 Pro 64bit

4. Collapse Details
    Keying is great with the 150. Checkout my sample clips in this thread. I was nervous about the workflow, but Sony Vegas works well with the raw footage, but I'm a PC guy and I hear the workflow is slightly more challenging on the mac right now.

5. Collapse Details
    Hi,

I have a HVX200 and really like it. The CODEC is terrific and the P2 media is stable.

Here's my take.

If you're doing wedding and event stuff, you likely don't have a need for variable frame rate control that you can't get from software manipulation - that is, you can fake what you need.

What the event guy/gal needs is long run times, something that the HMC150 will give them over the HXP170, in terms of cheaper media without trying to do some downloading or using a Firestore to collect content.

Kurt's footage of green screen is terrific. I took some of this generously provided footage into both Premiere (using the Panasonic AVCHD to DVCPro CODEC) and Vegas Pro 8 and it looked pretty good to me - I think will pass the most critical viewer's tests.

If I were doing work that called for texture - mixed frame rates, a lot of changing of custom scene files - or transfer of video to film, I probably would suggest the HPX170.
    Mike Gunter
    VideoTidbits
    Glacier Lily Productions

6. Collapse Details
    AVCHD has a higher resolution. DVCProHD has 4:2:2 color space. Other than that, the images ought to be really similar I would think. The question is... do you need all or most of the the features the HPX has over the HMC? Do you need SDI out? Over/Undercranking?

Also, you're going to get an 90minutes of high quality footage on a 16gig SDHC card. You definately won't get that on a 16gig P2

Also, download some of the AVCHD footage to make sure your iMac can handle it. I was under the impression that only MacPro's would work.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post

Also, download some of the AVCHD footage to make sure your iMac can handle it. I was under the impression that only MacPro's would work.
    Transcoding is used as of now even within FCP so the iMac should be able to handle the ProRes or DVCProHD footage no problem.

My G5 handles DVCProHD or AIC pretty well and have read many edit their HVX footage on lesser powerful machines with no problems. So I think you will be all right with the iMac for now but when native support for AVCHD comes along you may need a beefier processor.

8. Collapse Details
    As far and image quality, it should be about the same, because both the 150 and 170 use the same CCDs and lens. The only real difference is the CODEC.

As far as work flow, the DVCPRO-HD is a safe bet, HVX-200 users have been using it for several years now and have it nailed down. We are at the front end of the AVCHD work flow, but in the case of an iMAC, transcoding does seem to be the best solution right now. Most would point to Toast 9 as the current best answer. However, over time as improved software comes out, that is likely to change and any change will be for the better...

IF 720p mode is the resolution you wish to use, that is the 150's sweet point. That's the mode with the lowest compression ratio, thus the chance of compression noise is very small. Both cameras do very well here, but this is the 150's strong point.

IF 1080 mode is the mode you wish to record in, that is the mode that the the strong point for the 170. Unlike the 150, the compression ratio is the same for all modes on the 170, so the highest resolution offers the most detail. Sadly, the special effects (overcranking, undercranking, and slow motion) are all limited to 720p mode. For 1080, the 170 has an advantage over the 150 in terms of compression.

So, the resolution (720 or 1080) you intend to use may be a deciding factor as to which camera to purchase. I hope this helps...

Bob Diaz

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDiaz View Post
    ...IF 1080 mode is the mode you wish to record in, that is the mode that the the strong point for the 170. Unlike the 150, the compression ratio is the same for all modes on the 170, so the highest resolution offers the most detail...

I would like to point out that while more compressed, AVCHD is 1920x1080, whereas DVCProHD is 1280x1080, so it may be a wash there. The colors will probably look slightly better on DVCProHD though.

But if you're transcoding to DVCProHD to edit anyways... it's kind of a moot point.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDiaz View Post
    but in the case of an iMAC, transcoding does seem to be the best solution right now.
    Only until CS4 comes out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast