1. Collapse Details
    Learn To Speak Script II
    no mas
    Last edited by alex whitmer; 02-23-2009 at 11:34 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Is it possible to get Scrippets (http://scrippets.org/) to work on this forum? Might help you out when writing this.

3. Collapse Details
    I like to think that a big budget and A+ talent and resources can be important, but only when there is a great script and a director with a vision.

For example: I loved The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. One of the best films I've seen in a long while. The technology, budget, and masterful acting wouldn't have come together if the script wasn't there and if they didn't have Fincher's vision guiding it all to the proper destination.

That is not to say that the bit players and one-line parts can be half-assed either. A dedicated and experienced crew, no matter if it is a hundred people or just two are almost always part of the recipe for success. This is also where the director's iron will comes in. Sometimes the crew can work against the director. If you ever get the chance to view the behind the scenes documentary on the film I talk about below, you'll hear of a case where the director and crew were at war with each other.

Another personal favorite, an old (well sort of) classic called Aliens. It was shot for 18 million back in 1985 and released in 1986. This film still holds up and is so much better than the following Alien series sequels and a lot of similar films made with larger budgets. I'm sure it would be budgeted at 100+ million if it were being made today with the exact same script. Either way it must have the great cast, script, and direction that made it work in the first place.

Of course, some films that were not hits at the time of their release might have done better if released a year earlier or later. Some are only appreciated after the passage of time or when a director's cut shows the film in a new light.

Audiences are fickle and the zeitgeist changes. Marketing and hype do play a role in how a film is seen and how many see it. These elements have some effect, but I still believe that a great film must have those ingredients that Alex mentioned above. A big budget, heavy marketing, and star power merely get butts in the seats. Spectacular effects are great, but only when in service of a well told story and a bold directorial vision. After the lights go down all that matters is the film.
    Last edited by Nektonic; 01-27-2009 at 01:10 PM.