1. Collapse Details
    Pixel dimension for Widescreen TV
    Hello all, I am making an animation in Adobe Flash that requires a final DVD to be played on a widescreen tv.

I read somewhere the dimensions of a widescreen output and I used (1280 px x 720 px). This worked!

When played in a dvd player and shown on a widescreen TV, those black bars, on the top and bottom showed on the TV.

I know that if you watch a Widescreen DVD on a 'widescreen' tv, those black bars always show, and I understand this is to accommodate both 16:9 and 4:3 formats.

My question is, if I wanted to use up the WHOLE screen on a widescreen TV for my animation without the black bars, is this possible? and what pixel dimensions would I use?

I'm starting to think, that its not the pixel dimension size that dictates whether those bars show up, but either, the DVD player or the TV, that automatically inserts the bars, because it only recognizes a 16:9 or 4:3 formats. Let me know if this is true.

I hope this makes sense, and thanks to all that can help!

2. Collapse Details
    You'd use 720x480 at a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.2:1.

The DVD player itself will add black bars if necessary to make the footage look right on a 4:3 TV.

3. Collapse Details
    It sounds like your DVD is set to output 4x3 when you have it connected to a 16x9 tv. This will put black bars on everything (almost). On a 16x9 TV, the only time you should see black bars on the top and bottom is when you are watching 2.40:1 films.