1. Collapse Details
    AVCHD editing w/CS3 and Avisynth
    On the windows side of things, I've been using CS3 w/ Avisynth to edit shrigg's clips. I haven't figured out as of yet the best timelines/settings to import the footage into as of yet, but at least it does work (albeit a bit slow).

NOTE: THIS METHOD DOESN'T REQUIRE THE TRANSCODE OF MTS FILES. ALMOST NATIVE EDITING.

Info on how set up is http://forum.videohelp.com/topic334524.html.

It works well enough, if a bit laggy within the editor. Anyone else tried this method?

Hardware used -
    Asus F8SN-C1 Laptop (C2D t9300, 3gb ram, 200gb 7200rpm hdd, 512mb Nvidia 9500M GS),
    1 tb 7200 rpm external drive.

Xp as OS.
    Last edited by m.t.; 09-30-2008 at 05:02 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm using Premiere CS3 with no problems on the speed side of things.
    I used the AVCHD to DVCPRO HD free transcoder from Panasonic to play around with the AVCHD files and it worked without slow downs but I was not happy with the finale output.
    I do believe however that the lesser quality had a lot more to do with my output settings than anything else.
    Still I plan “upgrading” to CS4 to work with native AVCHD files to avoid any transcoding.

VAIO FW laptop | Vista Ultimate 32 bit | T9400 | 4 gigs of RAM (3 usable) | ATI Radeon HD 256 dedicated 1531 total.
    An UNPURE D800, Canon 7D | Dell M6500 - MSI GS70 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit - 8 Pro 64bit

3. Collapse Details
    i tried the avchd to p2.. its kinda blocky.. is it really like that?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidef1080 View Post
    I'm using Premiere CS3 with no problems on the speed side of things.
    I used the AVCHD to DVCPRO HD free transcoder from Panasonic to play around with the AVCHD files and it worked without slow downs but I was not happy with the finale output.
    I do believe however that the lesser quality had a lot more to do with my output settings than anything else.
    Still I plan “upgrading” to CS4 to work with native AVCHD files to avoid any transcoding.

VAIO FW laptop | Vista Ultimate 32 bit | T9400 | 4 gigs of RAM (3 usable) | ATI Radeon HD 256 dedicated 1531 total.
    I'm not transcoding the AVCHD though. Avisynth acts as a conduit for the mts files (you import as simple script into premiere). So it's a cheating way to get pseudo-native AVCHD editing until CS4 pops.

My main issue with this avisynth is i haven't figured out the proper project settings yet.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    i tried the avchd to p2.. its kinda blocky.. is it really like that?
    Nope.
    I used Blu-Ray palyer software to view the "pure" AVCHD mts files and they look really good. Way better than HDV - IMO. Little to no noise, clean colors and nice detail. Very good stuff.

Thanks for the insight M.T. I'll look into Avisynth.
    An UNPURE D800, Canon 7D | Dell M6500 - MSI GS70 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit - 8 Pro 64bit

6. Collapse Details
    Well, project settings that seem to work for me are under XDCAM, mainly due to the same resolution settings.

Exporting to x264 works nicely too. Hope this works for others running Windows as well as it works for me.