Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PKraft View Post
    Thomas, is there any proof of your assumption? Could it not be that the software to transcode was not used properly or whatever other reason might be the real culprit?
    The glitch could be in every detail of a complicated process based complex little units.

Would someone please be kind enough to post a 720p30 clip in its native form?
    Everyone can transcode that and then report his findings, stating the details of the
    transcoding platform involved and the outcome of the transcoding.

Anyone? Pe.
    There are raw clips available on this forum already, just search for it. I can also confirm that FCP and Toast 9 both have problems with the available MTS 720p30 footage. Either this boils down to QuickTime or it is a problem with the MTS parsers of FCP/Toast 9. No matter what it is, it can't be very difficult to fix.

2. Collapse Details
    Of all the things that can go wrong though... ;)

3. Collapse Details
    Hey Walter

Any luck with the footage shot at 720p 30 over 60fps? We're getting the 2x play speed too whether the files came through Toast 9 or FCP6.04.

I also notice that if I shoot at 720P 60 over 60 fps, then play the clip back in QT I don't actually see 60 discrete FPS! Actually there's 30 pairs of duplicate frames per second.... I think this is actually 30 over 60 tagged as 60.

Could there be an screw up in the actual camera settings. If the 30 over 60 setting is actually 60 over 60 tagged as 30 over 60, and duplicate frames get dropped we'd end up with a clip half as long! Which is what I see ... a 2x speed clip with a still last frame for the last half of the clip (the audio still plays to length).

Anyone else?

Lee

4. Collapse Details
    Well, solved half the issue...

The camera we were testing on was set to a shutter speed of 1/30 sec!! So of course when we recorded 720p 60 over 60 the poor thing had to duplicate frames! Set it to 1/15 sec and you'll get 4 duplicates! If the shutter is turned off, all is well. 60 discrete frames per sec.

But we still get 2x playback on 30 fps recorded over 60fps. I've initialized all settings ... and I get it whether I import using Toast or FCP.

Weird...

Anyone else?

Lee

5. Collapse Details
    I'm having the same issue. Couldn't figure a workaround out in FCP, so I'm using Toast. Toast has worked great.

I think it's a bug in FCP. Hopefully the next update fixes it (whenever that is).

-bg

6. Collapse Details
    Hmmm... I just log&transferred some 720p30 footage. In the log and transfer window, the video showed as solid green; but the final transferred video is fine. Not perfect for logging, but seems to work.

EDIT: Sorry, not true... looking through the footage, there seem to be some temporal distortions (jittery looped movement for a secod or tow every once in a while)...
    Last edited by ullanta; 10-26-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Time passed
    "I'd like to say that I've never come across two know nothing pretenders on the weird wide web before, but unfortunately it's all too common and is exactly why, according to the last government survey, only 5% of all internet users ever use forums or chats. And it's exactly why I'm done with this one. You two really need to get jobs and out of your mother's basements. You can't fix stupid. And I don't have time for stupid." -swoopie

7. Collapse Details
    To add some more information, I just got my HMC 151E and tried to log & transfer 720p footage with 50 fps and the importer just crashed with a division by zero exception.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ltf3 View Post
    Well, solved half the issue...

But we still get 2x playback on 30 fps recorded over 60fps. I've initialized all settings ... and I get it whether I import using Toast or FCP.

Weird...

Anyone else?

Lee
    Here's word from Panasonic Broadcast:
    "The problem you are having with the HMC150 [720 60p PH mode] is an apple
    issue. Apple only supports the 1080 formats in the PH bit rate mode. The
    symptoms your are experiencing ,[double speed playback in 720 60
    mode]are common to both final cut and IDVD since they both use the
    QuickTime format. You would probably be better off directing your
    efforts to apple."

Oh well....

Lee

9. Collapse Details
    I think that I might have a possible work around as I'm getting the same thing in FCP. I'm going to.. duplicate the files then I'll bring one set into cinematools and convert the files to 29.97 so it will play normal but then the audio will be slowed down.... so I'll then take the audio from the un conformed clip and marry the two in FCP.. might be the solution there.

BUT either way.. the intensity card works and no double play there..

cheers

10. Collapse Details
    I'm using FCE (Final Cut Express) and the only 720 mode it supports is 720/30p.

If I take a 720/60p file, transcode it (720/60p), and load it into FCE, every other frame is dropped and it becomes 720/30p.

If I take a 1080/30p file, transcode it to 720/30p, and load it into FCE, this works correctly. The transcoded file is 720/30p and it plays correctly.

If I take a 720/30p file, transcode it, and look at it with Quicktime or FCE, the 30p video is loaded as if it were 60p and the audio plays normal. This seems to be a problem at the transcoding stage.

If VoltacHD or Toast 9 could fix the transcoding issue, that would be great.

Bob Diaz

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast