1. Collapse Details
    IBC2008 - some info on digital 35m cameras
    Hi all, my first priority was to compare output from different cameras. One day before the travel I shoot with KINOR 2K digital camera and here at amsterdam I could compare the picture and ask the questions which usually aren't covered at web sites.

First thing which makes me sad is that SI-2K cameras uses in-camera compression (the same with RED) - kind of wavelet and thus makes output a little bit soft which is not a good thing. You will not be able to get a crisp picture from this cameras. SI-2K mini uses gigabit ethernet to transfer data to the recorder - so the datapath is not wide enough to send uncompressed RAW. From other side - Silicon Imaging together with Iridas make the most convenient system of on set color setup. It doesn't immediately affect footage but DP and director can be sure that the look achieved will be transfered to postproduction.

Weisscam is uncompressed and records it's data to on-camera HDSDI recorder crisp uncompressed images at very high speed up to 1000 fps. But the price is much higher. Between Phantom and Weisscam I would prefer Weisscam as it has more convenient controls and color management (same as SI has) and nice HDD (raid) based recorder with many ways to transfer files to computer.

Newcomer - IKONOSCOP from Sweden. Small enough and lightweight camera has 10,6mm-6mm sensor (Super 16 equiv...) and writes RAW uncompressed 1920x1080 files to solid state 80GB cartridge. first cameras are to be shipped at december. Cost is lower than SI-2K mini and I would prefer swedish one as it's uncompressed and can use Super-16 cheap lenses. I've seen some stills at their stand but cant judge the quality and dynamic range as it was unprocessed RAW files and I couldn't put my hands on it in some kind of CC program.

2. Collapse Details
    Can't get a sharp picture from a red?

3. Collapse Details
    some info on digital 35m cameras
    Olympus Camedia C-700 Ultra Zoom Digital Camera

Wow! What an incredible impact this camera has had on our picture taking experiences. Most of my excitement is the result of the technology moreso than the camera itself, but Olympus C-700 is an amazing piece of work!

To start with, it has more features than you'll ever use. The features are well designed and very usable - just read the manual for very helpful tips and tricks to save setting the way you want them (because the camera resets everything each time you shut it off - very frustrating if you don't know how to save the settings). The picture quality is amazing - I printed out an 8x10 on our Epson printer and couldn't believe the quality. Developed pictures (from PhotoAccess.com) look exactly like standard 35-M SLR pictures - unbelievable!

The C-700 has one of the most impressive zoom features of any digital camera I've seen. At a 10x optical zoom, this camera pretty much beat almost everything out there - not just in its price range either, but even cameras twice at much! Using the 64-meg card, we can get over 75 pictures in HQ (High-Quality) mode.

The only un-nerving aspect of the camera in my opinion, is the way the lense (which projects from the camera once it's turned on) moves lightly in its housing. It seems sturdy enough, but just doesn't feel as tight as I think it should for a camera of this caliber.

The only other drawback is the red-eye, as with most compact cameras, the flash is just too close to the lense and red-eye is unavoidable, the red-eye reduction helps a little, but not much. The other slight drawback is that the flash adapter is non-standard - meaning only an Olympus flash will work.

The menu system is very well designed and the options are endless. I can't figure out how to get the panoramic mode to work, but the option exists on the menu never-the-less, so maybe I get it sooner or later :-) All the standard features are here, manual focus, manual exposure adjustments, special effects modes, movies, sound recording (movies and with still pictures), sport/high speed focusing & shutter, and so much more.

The quality of the images and feature set along with the incredible optical zoom of 10x makes this camera a hands-down winner over anything in its price range. Once you've had one, you'll never know what you did without it!

Resveratrol

4. Collapse Details
    The C-700 has one of the most impressive zoom features of any digital camera I've seen. At a 10x optical zoom, this camera pretty much beat almost everything out there - not just in its price range either, but even cameras twice at much! Using the 64-meg card, we can get over 75 pictures in HQ (High-Quality) mode.

The only un-nerving aspect of the camera in my opinion, is the way the lense (which projects from the camera once it's turned on) moves lightly in its housing. It seems sturdy enough, but just doesn't feel as tight as I think it should for a camera of this caliber.

Colon-cleanse